Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Snorkel Fuel Efficiency Data: 2nd Gen SS135MOD & 1st Gen SS170HF

Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #24
bcroach78 is on a distinguished road
Army: EOD
bcroach78's Tacoma Gallery
How many mpg do yall expect to get, and why does a snorkel allow for "much" better mpg?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #26
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
as some one mentioned before, the fact that it sits higher therefore not sucking up exhaust fumes from other vehicles might have something to do with it. Although I wouldn't really know
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #27
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
"How many mpg do yall expect to get, and why does a snorkel allow for "much" better mpg?"

I dont have my snorkel yet, but from my experience with a few local guys who had them, the simple fact that they can get consistent air flow helped the most. Cold air is more dense and lower to the ground so our intakes "tech" should get great efficiency, however when in snow, sand,water, or mud your going to be drowing the air source causing it to struggle.

I went to moab and on the way to moab I was getting 350 Miles to a tank, on the way home due to intake being clogged I was getting 220. I had to clean and vac my intake and I took roughly 2 inches of sand out! We only did 4 water crossings and some trails for 6 days.

Pre-Snorkel I am doing 250 Per tank, with it on I expect a 5-10% increase. I do 90% off road driving as my truck is used as an expo/overland & husky hauler.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #28
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Ran 1 tank through before installing the snorkel at 13.5666 mpg.

First tank with snorkel was 15.4997 mpg.
Quote:
Gained 1.9331 mpg on my first tank with the snorkel on. I did a good amount of offroading so I'm hoping for a better gain if I can stay out of the woods.

Second tank came in at 15.4002 last week - I just forgot to look at the receipt and do the math.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #31
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Has anyone nodice a big improvement in mileage from a tank of gas?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #32
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ran 1 tank through before installing the snorkel at 13.5666 mpg.

First tank with snorkel was 15.4997 mpg.

Second tank 15.4002

Third 15.7003
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver07taco View Post
Has anyone nodice a big improvement in mileage from a tank of gas?

I'm at 2.1337 gain in mpg or 44 miles per tank if I ran it dry. I would imagine some of the guys who are closer to stock would see a better increase then me Guess we just need to wait for them to get their shit mounted.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #33
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Quote:
I'm at 2.1337 gain in mpg or 44 miles per tank if I ran it dry. I would imagine some of the guys who are closer to stock would see a better increase then me Guess we just need to wait for them to get their shit mounted.

Not bad!, About the same that im seeing. When I first did the install and drove to URE my truck was loaded with all the armor. I need to do the test again and see what im getting now with all the armor gone.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #34
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:

Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 AM   #35
rmarkey is on a distinguished road

rmarkey's Tacoma Gallery
By just looking at pictures, it seems that it could be possible to just drill another hole in the inner fender and you would have a straight (or at least straighter) path from snorkel to factory intake. Therefore eliminating 2 more bends, thus reducing drag.

Maybe I've got it all wrong, but if you're willing to drill a hole in the outer fender, why not another in the inner fender? If I could get a 2 mpg increase, I'd drill holes! I also wonder if a larger intake scoop would make any gains at hwy speeds?

Anybody?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #36
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok I filled up 18.119 gallons of 89 octane and did 309 Miles.

Ok did 337 and filled up 17.011 gallons of 89. 4-20-11
Old 04-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #37
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post
Ok I filled up 18.119 gallons of 89 octane and did 309 Miles.

Must be nice to get 17.06 mpg........I would be happy if I could get 16. What filter you running? Are you running the secondary charcoal filter?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #38
Expedition Style

Quote:
Must be nice to get 17.06 mpg........I would be happy if I could get 16. What filter you running? Are you running the secondary charcoal filter?
I am running an AFE pro dry s and have the snorkel hooked up to the CAI.

Also that was based on driving without trying to get good gas mileage and almost no highway miles at all.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM   #39
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Consistently getting just over 16mpg now and happy. Also just got a set of Duratrac's and they might help a tad bit as well.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Consistently getting just over 16mpg now and happy. Also just got a set of Duratrac's and they might help a tad bit as well.

Hey man, you got the ARB bumper correct? By how much did your MPGs go down when you put on the bumper?