Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Snorkel Fuel Efficiency Data: 2nd Gen SS135MOD & 1st Gen SS170HF

Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #41
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly could not tell you. I was not really tracking the mpg's then. I know it will not be happy when I put a winch in her.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #42
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Honestly could not tell you. I was not really tracking the mpg's then. I know it will not be happy when I put a winch in her.
hahahaha
Old 04-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #43
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Next I am adding a high clearance rear bumper................

Don't be getting any ideas!!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #44
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
Hey man, you got the ARB bumper correct? By how much did your MPGs go down when you put on the bumper?
I have the ARB and winch on the front of mine. I don't think I noticed any particular drop in milage. I keep track of every fill up and alteration I've done. If I lost even 1mpg, I would be surprised. I did my suspension, tires and bumper all around the same time and total loss was only about 1.5 mpg.

My average economy is only 14.5mpg. I bought my truck in Nov. Out here that means mostly e-gas, 20 min. of warmup daily. That's 2 hours of idle time! I can't forget all the miles of 4x4 on snowy roads too.

I've had a best tank of 20.1 and a worse tank of 11.9. I'm hoping on 18-19mpg this summer. I've had a couple in the high 16's and a low 17 lately. It may be wishful thinking, I'm getting braver with the wheeling.

So, back to the original question. I don't think you'll have major drop in mileage, though it appears there is a wide range of effects on things with these Tacomas.

How's that for useless babble.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #45
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Consistently getting just over 16mpg now and happy. Also just got a set of Duratrac's and they might help a tad bit as well.
When I switched from the mickey thompson mud tires to the duratracs and even went a size larger I got a huge mileage improvement. The 1 complaint I have about the duratracs is that locally all the forest cops, fish and game, and poaching cops use them so getting them in 285/70 is INSANE ! I had to wait a solid 2 weeks!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #46
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post
When I switched from the mickey thompson mud tires to the duratracs and even went a size larger I got a huge mileage improvement. The 1 complaint I have about the duratracs is that locally all the forest cops, fish and game, and poaching cops use them so getting them in 285/70 is INSANE ! I had to wait a solid 2 weeks!
That much gain? Hmm... might have to ditch these KM2's for Duratracs. Been thinking about it alot lately actually. I'd be more than happy to even gain back .5-1mpg

And getting better mileage with a snorkel.... just making it that much more obvious I need to get one. Not only would it fix my intake woes with my removed inner fenders, but they look sick too. win win win
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #47
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
That much gain? Hmm... might have to ditch these KM2's for Duratracs. Been thinking about it alot lately actually. I'd be more than happy to even gain back .5-1mpg

And getting better mileage with a snorkel.... just making it that much more obvious I need to get one. Not only would it fix my intake woes with my removed inner fenders, but they look sick too. win win win
So the 3 reasons I went duratracs.... bad ass looks and traction, way better mileage, silent on the road.

I have only done 1 fill up with the snorkel, but I am now on my next tank about @ 1/2 way mark. I i have already done 189 miles...... That the most I have ever had at half a tank. But I did all highway miles yesterday and so that may be a little out of the norm for me. I would be willing to bet that I get almost 380 to a tank on this one.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #48
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
I have the ARB and winch on the front of mine. I don't think I noticed any particular drop in milage. I keep track of every fill up and alteration I've done. If I lost even 1mpg, I would be surprised. I did my suspension, tires and bumper all around the same time and total loss was only about 1.5 mpg.

My average economy is only 14.5mpg. I bought my truck in Nov. Out here that means mostly e-gas, 20 min. of warmup daily. That's 2 hours of idle time! I can't forget all the miles of 4x4 on snowy roads too.

I've had a best tank of 20.1 and a worse tank of 11.9. I'm hoping on 18-19mpg this summer. I've had a couple in the high 16's and a low 17 lately. It may be wishful thinking, I'm getting braver with the wheeling.

So, back to the original question. I don't think you'll have major drop in mileage, though it appears there is a wide range of effects on things with these Tacomas.

How's that for useless babble.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #49
Quote:
So the 3 reasons I went duratracs.... bad ass looks and traction, way better mileage, silent on the road.

I have only done 1 fill up with the snorkel, but I am now on my next tank about @ 1/2 way mark. I i have already done 189 miles...... That the most I have ever had at half a tank. But I did all highway miles yesterday and so that may be a little out of the norm for me. I would be willing to bet that I get almost 380 to a tank on this one.

hey ya, on a good highway drive i get 180 miles at the half tank mark, keeping the limit at 65mph or just a wee bit under.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #50
Expedition Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
hey ya, on a good highway drive i get 180 miles at the half tank mark, keeping the limit at 65mph or just a wee bit under.
Ya I kept it right at the speed limit on the highway, but something else to consider is that all these miles are at 4600-5600 feet altitude. Being down on power and sucking for air, I think that this snorkel with CAI is just helping out a ton. I doubt I would see that much of a difference had I added one of these at sea level.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #51
He who walk with a Cane

Quote:
That is funny I just switched from MT Baja MTZ's to Duratrac's myself. Ordered a set of 285/75 R16's from my cousin and had them the next day. You just needed a bit of a wider tire.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #52
Expedition Style

Updated post # 37. Did not get as many highway miles as I thought I would. Doing better though. I am headed to San Fran in may so that willreally tell me. Going to Moab I was getting 15mpg and on the way back 11.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #54
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
My last tank was 16.697. The highest to date from when I have been measuring and 3.131 mpg better then 6 months ago

Funny thing is my truck is now the heaviest it has ever been. I added two more ATO skids. I was also on it hard at every light + a couple 1/4 mile runs so I could hear my new DT Y pipe.

I did also just change my spark plugs, clean my air filter, and lose the crap 2-1/4" rear Y pipe n cats for a nice 2-1/2" mandrel bent Y with resonators
Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #55
Old Man
dwsyab is on a distinguished road

Name: David
dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
What's the deal with low gas mileage?

I have a new '12 Toco V6 automatic with off road package and I am averaging 19 MPG city/highway (49 %/ 51 %). I generally set my cruse control at 70 MPH when on the highway and the only performance add-on is a TRD Exhaust which tends to make my foot heavy. I hope to reach 20 to 21 MPG for highway mileage on my next vacation. To date, I've gotten up to 21.8 mpg by keeping speed down to 60 mph during my daily commute.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #56
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsyab View Post
I have a new '12 Toco V6 automatic with off road package and I am averaging 19 MPG city/highway (30/70). I generally set my cruse control at 70 MPH when on the highway and the only performance add-on is a TRD Exhaust which tends to make my foot heavy. I hope to reach 20 to 21 MPG for highway mileage on my next vacation.
I would advise researching real world data from a reputable source (Consumer Reports) BEFORE purchasing, not some POS window sticker the car dealership uses to entice you into a purchase.

That said, this is not the area to bitch about it.

Anyone got any real world snorkel data they can input? Out of 30 guys someone had to track their mileage besides me........
Old 03-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #58
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post

Anyone got any real world snorkel data they can input? Out of 30 guys someone had to track their mileage besides me........

I keep very close track of every mile and gallon and record it all in a booklet in my truck. My snorkel is in my cab awaiting install around end of April. By then I will have two months straight of every mpg recorded and be able to start tracking for improvements with snorkel added.

Ill try and be as thorough as possible. Might be calling you for last minute tips on install come the end of April too
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #59
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I keep very close track of every mile and gallon and record it all in a booklet in my truck. My snorkel is in my cab awaiting install around end of April. By then I will have two months straight of every mpg recorded and be able to start tracking for improvements with snorkel added.

Ill try and be as thorough as possible. Might be calling you for last minute tips on install come the end of April too

I'm glad to hear we can get some more numbers besides mine.

Keep in mind the winter gas will be providing you worse mileage now so try to run a couple tanks of summer gas before your install or do it asap
Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #60
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Now that I know I'll be installing a snorkel in the next week or so I think I can add some info here. I'm ANAL about keeping track of mileage etc. I record everything I do to and with the Toy. Every fuel fill, oil change, tire rotation, susp. alt., etc. is recorded in a log book.

Anyhow, I hope I can be helpful.