Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Snorkel Fuel Efficiency Data: 2nd Gen SS135MOD & 1st Gen SS170HF

Old 02-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Snorkel Fuel Efficiency Data: 2nd Gen SS135MOD & 1st Gen SS170HF

Link to where to buy: http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/safarisnorkel.html

Link to GB thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...ml#post2630568

Link to installation: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ml#post2764735

This thread is not for posting your current MPG's.

Lets all get accurate data before installation and after and post the difference here.

If your running different sized tires/gears/axles please correct your data before posting it here.

If you have a custom snorkel set up (CAI, custom air box, etc.) please note it when you post your data.

If your not going to calculate your data correctly please don't post it here.

Correct way to get MPG (stolen from TTORA):

*Fill the tank from a given, exact pump, let's call it Pump A.
*Fill until the pump pressure-trips out on its own, then stop. Do not try to add more fuel.
*Reset the odometer.
*Return to Pump A a week later and re-fill using the same exact procedure.
*Divide the mileage on the odometer by the gallons of fuel just pumped.

It's that simple.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
misc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shedmisc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Ran 1 tank through before installing the snorkel at 13.5666 mpg.

First tank with snorkel was 15.4997 mpg.

Second tank 15.4002

Third 15.7003
Old 02-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Saved 4 HomerTaco mileage stats...
Truck configuration: 07 DCSB V6 Manual
Stock exaust and an XTI Cold Air Intake
Tires: 265/75 r16

Pre Snorkle mileage stats...

Mileage Report #1
Put in 14.5 gallons exactly
Odometer reading since fill up: 225.5
(still had better than 1/4 tank)
MPG = 15.55

Mileage report #2
Filled up with 15.89 gallons & drove 305 miles (95% highway)
So this time = 19.19 MPG

Mileage Report #3
Filled up with 16.23 gallons & drove 261 miles
MPG = 16.08
better...

Mileage Report #4
Filled up with 17.69 gal. & drove 293 miles
MPG = 16.56
I think I'm doing better because I'm being conscious of my driving...
Either way, I don't plan on doing the install until spring, so I,ll have plenty of data for comparison!

Mileage Report #5
filled up with 17.72 gal. & drove 264.4 miles
MPG = 14.92
I was on Vacation for a week & most of this was local "city" driving plus gas assing it out to the KOP meet...

Mileage Report #6
filled up with 16.62 gal. & drove 292.6 miles
MPG = 17.6
This was a 30/70 mix of city/highway driving and me driving like a human being - not an idiot.

Mileage Report #7
filled up with 17.61 gal. & drove 299.4 miles
MPG = 17.0
50/50 mix...

Mileage Report #8
filled up with 18.27 gal. & drove 339.2 miles
MPG = 18.56
20/80 mix...

Mileage Report #9
filled up with 17.89 gal. & drove 333.6 miles
MPG = 18.64
20/80 mix...

Mileage Report #10
filled up with 15.94 gal. & drove 261 miles
MPG = 16.37
70% City / 30% HWY.

FYI - I plan on doing the snorkel install in mid to late April...

Waiting on my AFE CAI to come in the mail now...
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Data to be coming soon

Just got some goodies

Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Ok.. before I installed my snorkel I recorded my fuel mileage for a month or so. I tested different speeds, with or with out cruise control, on pretty much the same route each week.

Here are my results:

Type of driving- Before/After

easy around town, cruise control at 55 on highway- 19/19.1 (will test again to see if I get different results)

wanted to spice it up a bit, so.. aggressive driving, cruise control at 70- waiting to finish this tank, will update soon.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
So far I only have the OME 885s and nitros in front/ TSB aal n 1 in block in rear, Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, URD TCAI, and 33 BGS A/Ts.

Pre Snorkel MPG
Report #1: Well guys 251 miles driven this week, highway & city combo, took 17.128 gallons to fill up sooo 251/17.128= 14.65 mpg average (Drove like nascar that week)

Report # 2: Drove 258 miles this week, both highway n city, it took 14.780 gallons to fill up sooo 258/14.78 = 17. 45 mpg average (drove like a granny)
Old 02-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
sloancallaway is on a distinguished road
Name: Sloan
sloancallaway's Tacoma Gallery
sub'ed
Old 02-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
OK my Data:

2007 DC with 3 inch lift
285/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's 3/4 worn - air pressure 35psi
auto tranny
Bumper, sliders, and skids
Tool box in bed

Driving Style - For the most part speed limit with occasional "spirited" driving. 80% city 20% highway

Custom Exhaust from the CAT back went in a couple of week's ago and now the Snorkel is fully installed. I went to fill up yesterday and decided to see what my mileage was on my last tank with mixed use. 15.5 MPG's

So now we will see what this tank does with full install of snorkel.

Tank #1
Drove 240.5 miles before fill up 80% highway
Filled it with 14.71 gallons
Avg. MPG - 16.35
Up almost a mile per gallon
Tank #2
Drove 272 miles before fill up 50/50 highway/city
Filled it with 16.07
Avg. MPG - 16.94
Up a bit more with mixed driving and speed limit adhering.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wait, did you install the snorkel before you refueled (when you drove those miles VVV ? Or soon after you refueled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
OK my Data:

2007 DC with 3 inch lift
285/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's 3/4 worn - air pressure 35psi
auto tranny
Bumper, sliders, and skids
Tool box in bed

Driving Style - For the most part speed limit with occasional "spirited" driving. 80% city 20% highway

Custom Exhaust from the CAT back went in a couple of week's ago and now the Snorkel is fully installed. I went to fill up yesterday and decided to see what my mileage was on my last tank with mixed use. 15.5 MPG's

So now we will see what this tank does with full install of snorkel.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink junky View Post
Wait, did you install the snorkel before you refueled (when you drove those miles VVV ? Or soon after you refueled?

I had 3/4 of a tank when the snorkel got installed. So that tank was a mixed bag. Just filled up yesterday and this tank will be a true test of the results.
Since I did not get a true tank measurement before the mod that mixed tank was the best I had for now.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
He who walk with a Cane

Quote:
So far I only have the OME 885s and nitros in front/ TSB aal n 1 in block in rear, Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, URD TCAI, and 33 BGS A/Ts.

Pre Snorkel MPG
Report #1: Well guys 251 miles driven this week, highway & city combo, took 17.128 gallons to fill up sooo 251/17.128= 14.65 mpg average (Drove like nascar that week)

Report # 2: Drove 258 miles this week, both highway n city, it took 14.780 gallons to fill up sooo 258/14.78 = 17. 45 mpg average (drove like a granny)

You know I realized there is another variation in mileage here. You are in Texas which has better roads and less elevation changes then Colorado. We have crappy roads and lots of hills. This will create different results.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
He who walk with a Cane

Updated post #11 with first full tank with Snorkel install.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
You know I realized there is another variation in mileage here. You are in Texas which has better roads and less elevation changes then Colorado. We have crappy roads and lots of hills. This will create different results.

Well...
Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #18
He who walk with a Cane

Quote:
Well...
Judging by your pre snorkel fuel results I would say you will get better results than me every time based on just my 2 reports both with the snorkel installed.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #19
He who walk with a Cane

Updated post #11
Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #20
misc's Tacoma Gallery
Gained 1.9331 mpg on my first tank with the snorkel on. I did a good amount of offroading so I'm hoping for a better gain if I can stay out of the woods.