1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SC really worth it?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 04LTtacoma, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    My motor has about 160k miles on it. Is that too many miles to be SC my tacoma? Is the extra power really worth it? Does the SC make a HUGE difference in power? Is that maintenance expensive? I think I have too many miles on the tacoma.:(

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    YES I would say you have too many miles to even think about putting a supercharger in. Considering the miles you have, you'd probably want to get the bottom end rebuilt completely before putting one on with your mileage. Then you're talking major $$$$, now add the $4000 for the SC kit, tune, 7th injector and you'll be close to the $5,000+ range but the time it's all said and done. Your best bet is to buy another truck if you want more power.

3. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:33 AM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Well, thanks for the info. lol Down the road I am going to do a motor swap anyways. But even when I get a new toyota 3.4l motor I don't think I will SC it. I need more power!

EDIT: I could probably find a used SC kit for 1k. I wouldn't buy brand new, that is a little too much $$$ for me.

4. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    X2

5. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Too many miles I would say NO, however is it going to give you huge power, I would again say NO.

I turboed my truck at 150K miles at 18psi and had no problems whatsoever, now I am swapping in a V8..

The Toyota motor are very stout and can take it if the maintenance has been done on a regular basis.

Products Discussed in

To Top