1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K & N

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by cockyockyfree, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Aug 31, 2007 at 9:28 PM
    GregT

GregT Member

Member:
    I put the 63 series on my PreRunner a few weeks ago, and I really do like it. I would recomend it 100%. I think some of problems that others may have run into is because of over oiled filters that end up gumming up the sensor and (to some extent) the intake tube.
    Greg

2. Sep 21, 2007 at 6:51 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    There was no improvement b/c he did the test on a supercharged motor, on a stock motor you would most likely see a five to ten HP gain. Nothing is "bolt on" when you have a supercharger.

3. Oct 1, 2007 at 3:08 AM
    SDroots27

SDroots27 Member

Member:
    University City, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2005 Pre-Run SR5 X-Cab
    K&N CAI, BORLA Cat-back
    Cool, well it sounds like everyone is liking the K&N Filter and it doesn't seem like it's interfering that much with stereo sound within the cabin. What about the 63 vs. 77. Someone mentioned earlier that the plastic model (both aren't plastic??) is quieter.

4. Oct 4, 2007 at 8:10 PM
    cottonbroker

cottonbroker Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD extended cab
    The previous owner of my 99" had a K&N filter in her but when my milage dropped from 20 to 14 and I was getting an error message I got on this site and someone was smart enough to tell me to clean the air intake sensor. A few bucks in cleaner and a fifteen minute removal and cleaning and I was back to getting 20mpg.

It was caused by oil from the K&N filter.

A hot rod builder friend of mine told me to spray the oil on through a high pressure air gun with a fine mist. this puts a more complete but thin coating of oil so it won't flow through t the sensor.

5. Oct 5, 2007 at 1:31 AM
    SDroots27

SDroots27 Member

Member:
    University City, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2005 Pre-Run SR5 X-Cab
    K&N CAI, BORLA Cat-back
    yes i've read/heard that you need to be careful about applying the cleaner etc, but I just strapped mine on the truck yesterday, so it should be good to go for about 20k or so before reapplying. That engine roars now, wow what a difference! Honestly sounds like a race car around 3500 rpms. Dammit.

6. Oct 13, 2007 at 8:04 PM
    e.m.m

e.m.m Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 6speed
    Airaid CIA
    Does anyone know about putting the 77 series K&N with a supercharger. I will get one one day (like everyone else here I assume) I swear, one day....

I'd hate to spend the money and then get a supercharger and have to get a new intake.

7. Oct 18, 2007 at 8:39 AM
    m3dragon

m3dragon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Installing parts will not void warranty. We need to start a sticky thread for this. If you modify the motor then you are voiding warranty. If you do bolt ons then you are fine. The dealer will try to fight you at time but NO car maker voids a warranty for aftermerket parts. That is a dealer by dealer case.

Products Discussed in

To Top