Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Cold Air Intake

Old 11-29-2006, 10:26 PM   #21
dibsen is on a distinguished road

dibsen's Tacoma Gallery
you and I are two diff people, got it

As for the CAI hope you enjoy it!

Beeing a middle aged guy you might have rationalized buying the intake with fuel economy and blaa bla bla, but I can tell just from your post, you like masshin the gas just as much as I do. It sounds cool.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #23
rockn06sport is on a distinguished road

rockn06sport's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to rockn06sport
Have you driven the truck hard yet? How much louder over stock?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilus11 View Post
It does make me worry less if I have any problem with my warranty, because is made by Toyota, but I still don't want to spend any money if does not make a difference. Thank you for any suggestion.
TRD CAI:
Unique powder coated filter housing w/TRD logo. - 3 - angle 5.5in to 4in filter flow adapter. - 4in diameter roto-mold intake tube - Transitions to 3in diameter at the throttle body to maintain critical flow characteristics at the MAF sensor. - Maintains long-term fuel trim within / - 5 percent - Reusable high-flow, low restriction air filter Note: This part is sold with no warranty and installation of this part may adversely affect the warranty coverage of the vehicle.

FYI
Old 12-02-2006, 06:39 AM   #25
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I did it. At cruising speed if you poush the gas slowly you will hear a small "prrr" wich over time you will get used to or you will enjoy from the first time you hear it. But if you poush hard you will hear like a"turbo" (with out the effect of a turbo) and probably an encrease of aproximately 10-15 decibel in noise. Wich means =A LOT- more noise. About the second mesage= 99% of the time the MAF sensor will be damaged by= to much oil on your filter,(oil wiil depose on the sensor, contaminate and not allow corect reading) or not enough oil(fine dust wich suposed to be stopped by the oil, and oil only, goes thru the filter and it will depose on the sensor ) The best way to check for dust is to open the fitting close to the motor once a month , take a WHITE ,lightly moist, cloth and pass it thru the tube. If you see any dust??? than your filter is not oiled the way it should be(see manufacturer info). If one week latter you see the same thing ??? than trow that filter as fast you can and put back the original one. Now, very rarely you will have the "ceck engine light" that goes ON and that have nothing to do with the sensor. Is more about the FUEL/AIR ratio. I am not smart enough to talk about it. I am prety sure that Gadget will be happy to help you with. About the economy, I did not have enough time to do a real test. But based on my gauge reading - it sips little bit more gas guaranteed. It is expected. When you increase the amount of air that goes in , you have a bounch of sensors that decide that you need more gas also, in order to obtain the right fuel/air ratio. If you go this road ?? you have to know that eventualy you have to recalibrate the engine some how (most of the time with a chip that URD is working on) in order to really see a benefit. Remember more air is not always good. Need to find the perfect balance. About the waranty??. even if you dont do anything to that truck , when you have to go to the dealer ?? expect to get f,,,,,k some how. Is more about the relation that you develop with the service advisor = ( a dozen of donuts and a tap on the shoulder= How are my friend ???- goes much further then a stiff custumer that wants it done because he deserve it), then what is really writen on that waranty contract. Yes the filter is sold with out warranty. That, does not tell you that, it will void the warranty. Keep every thing you take off that truck and if you have any problem ??? put evrey thing back ,( is one hour job) than go to the dealer if it scarry you.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #26

thanks for your input...have you noticed any deposits on your MAF sensor? How long have you had your kit for? I really despise living in CA because all these intake kits are illegal (although smog is a problem and I understand that). Does anybody know of any air intake kits LEGAL IN CA?
Old 12-02-2006, 04:49 PM   #27
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
I have put aprox 200 miles so far. Not enough to see any dust, but I am planing a 400 miles next week after what i will ceck. I even change my oil and keept a sample to compare at next oil change.Sorry I have no answer to your last question.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #28

I guess it's not illegal until you get caught. I really want to get this intake but I can find other ways to get power eh? thx for info
Old 12-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #29

alright unless i'm missing a socket, what size nuts hold the 05-07 tacoma's engine cover on??

all my sockets are either too big or too small....very frustrating lol
Old 12-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilus11 View Post
Try 10 mm long sleeve
hmm forgot about the metrics...thx ill try
Old 02-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #32
jivemoney is on a distinguished road
jivemoney's Tacoma Gallery
remember you get what you pay for . buy cheap get cheap . i got the trd cai and it was the best 325.00 i ever spent . trd products arent cheap but toyotas arent either.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #33
Splangy is on a distinguished road
Splangy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn06sport View Post
alright unless i'm missing a socket, what size nuts hold the 05-07 tacoma's engine cover on??

all my sockets are either too big or too small....very frustrating lol
Is that a joke? You forgot to use a METRIC socket on a JAPANESE vehicle?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #34
TacoChef is on a distinguished road

TacoChef's Tacoma Gallery
TRD parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoarezee View Post
Good web-site. I work for Toyota and din't know they had a cold air intake and headers available.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:53 PM   #35
NomolosTRD is on a distinguished road

NomolosTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Worse gas milage with intake

I got the TRD intake and it made a big difference in the power, but I noticed that it actually reduced my MPG. at first I thought is was due to agressive driving, but I tested a full tank with conservative acceleration and RPM's and the results were the same. I was getting roughly 17-18mpg and now i get 15-16. anyone konw why? I am also running a Magnaflow cat back that should further improve the MPG's.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #36
midV6size is on a distinguished road
midV6size's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomolosTRD View Post
I got the TRD intake and it made a big difference in the power, but I noticed that it actually reduced my MPG. at first I thought is was due to agressive driving, but I tested a full tank with conservative acceleration and RPM's and the results were the same. I was getting roughly 17-18mpg and now i get 15-16. anyone konw why? I am also running a Magnaflow cat back that should further improve the MPG's.
Did you try a programmer to compensate for the additional air in/out?
Your fuel injection has to be tweaked as well!!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #37
NomolosTRD is on a distinguished road

NomolosTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by midV6size View Post
Did you try a programmer to compensate for the additional air in/out?
Your fuel injection has to be tweaked as well!!
Where do I get it programmed? at the dealership?
Old 04-20-2007, 01:02 AM   #38
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
This is what you need. http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260198051

This weekend I'll be installing a URD CAI and MAF calibrator. http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518504
Old 04-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #39
TacoChef is on a distinguished road

TacoChef's Tacoma Gallery
URD, Map

I've been reading up on it. Sounds complicated. Didn't want to mess the engine up. But any results, tips would be interesting. If there is a big difference in engine performance I'd like to know. Good luck!
4.0 V-6
K&N Cold Air Intake Series 63
JBA Headers
Magnaflow exhaust
Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #40
Once a gorilla always a gorilla
Gorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorilla_97 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thomas
Gorilla_97's Tacoma Gallery
just replace the stock air filter with a K&N rechargeable filter and you will get basically the same results with no worries of voiding your warranty