1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by gdawg25, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Nov 29, 2006 at 10:26 PM
    dibsen

dibsen Well-Known Member

Member:
    you and I are two diff people, got it

As for the CAI hope you enjoy it!

Beeing a middle aged guy you might have rationalized buying the intake with fuel economy and blaa bla bla, but I can tell just from your post, you like masshin the gas just as much as I do. It sounds cool.

2. Nov 30, 2006 at 3:02 AM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    it is hard to resist that sound ha??

3. Dec 1, 2006 at 8:17 PM
    rockn06sport

rockn06sport Active Member

Member:
    Have you driven the truck hard yet? How much louder over stock?

4. Dec 1, 2006 at 8:26 PM
    rockn06sport

Member:
    TRD CAI:
    Unique powder coated filter housing w/TRD logo. - 3 - angle 5.5in to 4in filter flow adapter. - 4in diameter roto-mold intake tube - Transitions to 3in diameter at the throttle body to maintain critical flow characteristics at the MAF sensor. - Maintains long-term fuel trim within / - 5 percent - Reusable high-flow, low restriction air filter Note: This part is sold with no warranty and installation of this part may adversely affect the warranty coverage of the vehicle.

FYI

5. Dec 2, 2006 at 6:39 AM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    Yes I did it. At cruising speed if you poush the gas slowly you will hear a small "prrr" wich over time you will get used to or you will enjoy from the first time you hear it. But if you poush hard you will hear like a"turbo" (with out the effect of a turbo) and probably an encrease of aproximately 10-15 decibel in noise. Wich means =A LOT- more noise. About the second mesage= 99% of the time the MAF sensor will be damaged by= to much oil on your filter,(oil wiil depose on the sensor, contaminate and not allow corect reading) or not enough oil(fine dust wich suposed to be stopped by the oil, and oil only, goes thru the filter and it will depose on the sensor ) The best way to check for dust is to open the fitting close to the motor once a month , take a WHITE ,lightly moist, cloth and pass it thru the tube. If you see any dust??? than your filter is not oiled the way it should be(see manufacturer info). If one week latter you see the same thing ??? than trow that filter as fast you can and put back the original one. Now, very rarely you will have the "ceck engine light" that goes ON and that have nothing to do with the sensor. Is more about the FUEL/AIR ratio. I am not smart enough to talk about it. I am prety sure that Gadget will be happy to help you with. About the economy, I did not have enough time to do a real test. But based on my gauge reading - it sips little bit more gas guaranteed. It is expected. When you increase the amount of air that goes in , you have a bounch of sensors that decide that you need more gas also, in order to obtain the right fuel/air ratio. If you go this road ?? you have to know that eventualy you have to recalibrate the engine some how (most of the time with a chip that URD is working on) in order to really see a benefit. Remember more air is not always good. Need to find the perfect balance. About the waranty??. even if you dont do anything to that truck , when you have to go to the dealer ?? expect to get f,,,,,k some how. Is more about the relation that you develop with the service advisor = ( a dozen of donuts and a tap on the shoulder= How are my friend ???- goes much further then a stiff custumer that wants it done because he deserve it), then what is really writen on that waranty contract. Yes the filter is sold with out warranty. That, does not tell you that, it will void the warranty. Keep every thing you take off that truck and if you have any problem ??? put evrey thing back ,( is one hour job) than go to the dealer if it scarry you.

6. Dec 2, 2006 at 4:35 PM
    rockn06sport

Member:
    thanks for your input...have you noticed any deposits on your MAF sensor? How long have you had your kit for? I really despise living in CA because all these intake kits are illegal (although smog is a problem and I understand that). Does anybody know of any air intake kits LEGAL IN CA?

7. Dec 2, 2006 at 4:49 PM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    I have put aprox 200 miles so far. Not enough to see any dust, but I am planing a 400 miles next week after what i will ceck. I even change my oil and keept a sample to compare at next oil change.Sorry I have no answer to your last question.

8. Dec 2, 2006 at 10:08 PM
    rockn06sport

Member:
    I guess it's not illegal until you get caught. I really want to get this intake but I can find other ways to get power eh? thx for info

9. Dec 4, 2006 at 12:10 AM
    rockn06sport

Member:
    alright unless i'm missing a socket, what size nuts hold the 05-07 tacoma's engine cover on??

all my sockets are either too big or too small....very frustrating lol

10. Dec 4, 2006 at 5:24 AM
    virgilus11

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    Try 10 mm long sleeve

11. Dec 4, 2006 at 11:43 AM
    rockn06sport

Member:
    hmm forgot about the metrics...thx ill try

12. Feb 28, 2007 at 5:59 PM
    jivemoney

jivemoney New Member

Member:
    remember you get what you pay for . buy cheap get cheap . i got the trd cai and it was the best 325.00 i ever spent . trd products arent cheap but toyotas arent either.

13. Apr 11, 2007 at 5:50 PM
    Splangy

Splangy Active Member

Member:
    Is that a joke? You forgot to use a METRIC socket on a JAPANESE vehicle? :eek:

14. Apr 13, 2007 at 7:05 PM
    TacoChef

TacoChef Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good web-site. I work for Toyota and din't know they had a cold air intake and headers available.

15. Apr 15, 2007 at 11:53 PM
    NomolosTRD

NomolosTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got the TRD intake and it made a big difference in the power, but I noticed that it actually reduced my MPG. at first I thought is was due to agressive driving, but I tested a full tank with conservative acceleration and RPM's and the results were the same. I was getting roughly 17-18mpg and now i get 15-16. anyone konw why? I am also running a Magnaflow cat back that should further improve the MPG's.

16. Apr 18, 2007 at 9:14 PM
    midV6size

midV6size Active Member

Member:
    Did you try a programmer to compensate for the additional air in/out?
    Your fuel injection has to be tweaked as well!!

17. Apr 19, 2007 at 12:18 PM
    NomolosTRD

NomolosTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Where do I get it programmed? at the dealership?

18. Apr 20, 2007 at 1:02 AM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
  19. Apr 20, 2007 at 6:48 AM
    TacoChef

TacoChef Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been reading up on it. Sounds complicated. Didn't want to mess the engine up. But any results, tips would be interesting. If there is a big difference in engine performance I'd like to know. Good luck!
    4.0 V-6
    K&N Cold Air Intake Series 63
    JBA Headers
    Magnaflow exhaust

20. Apr 20, 2007 at 6:36 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    just replace the stock air filter with a K&N rechargeable filter and you will get basically the same results with no worries of voiding your warranty

Products Discussed in

To Top