Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Which is Better

Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Ben_Schwarz_09 is on a distinguished road
Ben_Schwarz_09's Tacoma Gallery
Which is Better

I just got a 2008 TRD Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Shortbed (I use to be a Ford person), but i was wondering what would be better the K&N CAI with either a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow instead of the stock muffler, or should i save up about twice the money and go with the TRD CIA & Catback.

Or what are the best upgrades for $400 including shiping, that increase HP&TQ along with the MPGs (besides keeping my foot out of the floorboard with the petal).
Old 09-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Schwarz_09 View Post
I just got a 2008 TRD Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Shortbed (I use to be a Ford person), but i was wondering what would be better the K&N CAI with either a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow instead of the stock muffler, or should i save up about twice the money and go with the TRD CIA & Catback.

Or what are the best upgrades for $600 including shiping, that increase HP&TQ along with the MPGs (besides keeping my foot out of the floorboard with the petal).
welcome to tw!!!!

if it were me, i would save my money...skip the intake altogether, and get an afe pro dry s drop in filter and remove the secondary air filter. you'll have mileage gains and better throttle response at a fraction of the cost...since the filter is reasonably priced, and all cais are kinda expensive and get their most efficiency at upper rpms. and for the exhaust...i love the flowmaster sound, so really,that depends on the sound you are looking for. instead of a catback.......instead, i would cut out the factory muffler and install the muffler you want, and add whatever tip you wanted to it...its essentially the same as a catback....but way less expensive. then...you got money for other truck mods. this is just what i would do.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Ben_Schwarz_09 is on a distinguished road
Ben_Schwarz_09's Tacoma Gallery
would doing any of that mess up my warrenty, or make it where i do not pass an emmisions test over here in Texas.

Plus i asked a friend of mine over here where I live, and he said that the best thing to do to it would be the CIA & the exhaust
Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Schwarz_09 View Post
would doing any of that mess up my warrenty, or make it where i do not pass an emmisions test over here in Texas.

Plus i asked a friend of mine over here where I live, and he said that the best thing to do to it would be the CIA & the exhaust
do you have inspections?? if so....when you remove the secondary filter, cut the heads off the rivets so you can easily place the filter back in for inspections, then just take it back out. will not mess up warranty....they have to prove that what you did caused a problem, and that highly unlikely with it being just a charcoal emissions filter.

alot of people have cai's, and i did at one point, but i have learned that as the cost of them is such......a drop in filter like the afe is great since you never have to oil it...only clean/dry/reinstall, they cost alot less, and you get mileage gains at normal driving speeds....not upper rpms like with an intake. the exhaust is like i said, whatever you are looking for. if you want awesome sound....go flowmaster....if you want more performance....get a magnaflow(they have a straight thru design for better flow). if you really want to get an intake....get an afe stage 2 intake with the afe pro dry s filter on it.......pretty good intake with the non oiled filter. on the other hand...alotof people have the trd cai and intake and like them alot.

me personally......i'd do the sec filter removal/afe pro dry s drop in and muffler of your choice....best bang for the buck.