Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K&N Intake Comparison: 77 Series vs. FIPK

Old 09-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #21
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i have a 77 series and i'll be selling it soon...gonna go back to stock w/ the seconrady removed and order a drop in AFE

Hmm so why are you getting rid of it?
Old 09-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #22
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
drinking too much gas for me...only benefits are at high rpm's and i never go over 2k
Old 09-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #23
Ben_Schwarz_09 is on a distinguished road
Ben_Schwarz_09's Tacoma Gallery
there is a dude trying to sell a 77 tube in the "Buy/Sell/Trade" tab, it was a few pages in though, and another person was trying to sell their filter for it. So i have heard, the CIAs dont start to help until you get into the high RPMs. I am in the same perdicument, im not sure if i should put in the K&N AirCharger (pt#63-9025) or the AFE Pro_Dry S Air Filter, but i am leaning more towards the filter.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #24
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Schwarz_09 View Post
there is a dude trying to sell a 77 tube in the "Buy/Sell/Trade" tab, it was a few pages in though, and another person was trying to sell their filter for it. So i have heard, the CIAs dont start to help until you get into the high RPMs. I am in the same perdicument, im not sure if i should put in the K&N AirCharger (pt#63-9025) or the AFE Pro_Dry S Air Filter, but i am leaning more towards the filter.
just get the afe pro dry and take out the secondary filter and u'll be set. thats what i'm switching to
Old 09-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #25
i just talked to AutoAnything, and they said that they would go with the K&N oiled filter, you still have to have a special cleaning solution for the AFE, plus you have to wash the x2...and they are more expensive.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #26
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i just talked to AutoAnything, and they said that they would go with the K&N oiled filter, you still have to have a special cleaning solution for the AFE, plus you have to wash the x2...and they are more expensive.
with an afe...no chance of fouling out the maf sensor from overoiling the filter since it doesnt need oil. you got to have the cleaning kit for k&n too.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 PM   #27
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
i think autoanything has about as much sense for vehicles as 4wheelparts does...big box places like that have no technical knowhow. they probably get a better kickback from K&N than AFE.

and like tacomaman said, the K&N's also have to have a special cleaning regiment...only difference is that u can go to any autoparts store and buy the K&N one.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #28
I also ended up calling K&N and they said that their oil does not do anything to the MAFs, that they have dipped one in some oil and tested it, and it still worked to factory specs. Plus i already have the kit for K&N (I had a 20in. round air filter for my '75 Bronco (RIP lil guy))
Old 09-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #29
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
fouling out the maf sensor from overoiling the filter

cleaning kit for k&n too.
Yea i dont think that'll happen. And as for the cleaning kit, so what, I already do it for my dirt bikes. Gotta get your hands dirty sometime.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #30
...by the way, the dude @ K&N told me that the FIPK is legal in all 50 states, and the 77 is a chromed tube.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #31

Quote:
...by the way, the dude @ K&N told me that the FIPK is legal in all 50 states, and the 77 is a chromed tube.

Meaning what? Is the 77 not legal?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #32
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
Yea i dont think that'll happen. And as for the cleaning kit, so what, I already do it for my dirt bikes. Gotta get your hands dirty sometime.
you dont think that OVER-OILING a k&n filter(or any others for that matter) can foul a maf sensor??? yeah...ok. i never said k&n was a bad filter.......i stated a fact......over-oiling an oiled filter CAN foul the maf sensor.

oh yeah.....i get my hands plenty dirty! just ask tigerfan00 about his truck!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #33
Here is the hyperlink for the K&N website where they claim that their oil doesnt mess with the MAF: http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#27

And on this page they have videos about it: http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

I am still wondering if i am going to go with a Drop-In or a CAI, wet (K&N) or dry(AFE)
Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Here is the hyperlink for the K&N website where they claim that their oil doesnt mess with the MAF: http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#27

And on this page they have videos about it: http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

I am still wondering if i am going to go with a Drop-In or a CAI, wet (K&N) or dry(AFE)
k&n,and any other filter company out there can make claims about their products all day long..........its their job to sell filters.

start up a new thread on here about over-oiling filters and fouling out a maf sensor..........guarantee you'll have responses about it being true. if you dont over-oil......good deal, the filter will work as it should, over-oil it, and it will end up on the maf sensor wires, and foul it out. you can buy a cleaner to clean the maf if it gets dirty, but do it too much, it can be costly......and thats all im getting at. i ran k$n in both the ford trucks i have had, and an airaid system in my last tacoma.......never had a problem cause i never over-oiled
Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 PM   #35
so you have had both tacomaman06? and from your expierence you like the AFE drys better? Alos, do they sell them at any chain auto parts store?
Old 09-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #36

Quote:
so you have had both tacomaman06? and from your expierence you like the AFE drys better? Alos, do they sell them at any chain auto parts store?
you gotta order the afe pro dry s online, but we had a group buy here a while back....you may still be able to get the discount. search for that thread though, as im not sure which forum its in. actually.....i like all the filters about the same, some more than others, like the afe....just clean and dry, no oil. the k&n was ok, but you gotta clean/dry/oil dry then reinstall. same way with the airaid that i had.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #37
ummmmmm, im not sure about the 77 being legal in all 50 states, i know there is not yet a FIPK for the second generation Tacomas yet, but when the 63 becomes legal in all 50 it becomes a 57 (FIPK) and if you already have it, you call up K&N and they give you a sticker to make it ok. call up K&N and ask them if you wanna get the best answer.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #38

Quote:
ummmmmm, im not sure about the 77 being legal in all 50 states, i know there is not yet a FIPK for the second generation Tacomas yet, but when the 63 becomes legal in all 50 it becomes a 57 (FIPK) and if you already have it, you call up K&N and they give you a sticker to make it ok. call up K&N and ask them if you wanna get the best answer.

Hmm, alright thanks man.

Anyone else got some information on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06
i never said k&n was a bad filter.......i stated a fact......over-oiling an oiled filter CAN foul the maf sensor.
Haha I know man I was just being cocky and saying that i've been oiling filters for a while now, I know what I'm doin, I won't do that
Old 09-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #39
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
guess I'm jumping in on this at page 2.... I have the AFE Pro Dry drop in. Why? It was cheaper than a K&N, doesn't require a cleaning kit (more $$), and is easier and faster to clean. Why would I buy a K&N? Spend more money on the filter (especially if I did the CAI), spend more money on cleaning supplies, and spend more time cleaning it. Almost seems retarded to do that. And that doesn't even include the possibility of fouling a MAF sensor. If it never happened, we wouldn't even be discussing it. So obviously it's happened, and regardless sucking excess oil into the intake (for dirt and dust to stick too) is a bad thing.

Cheaper, easier filter + piece of mind = priceless.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Why would I buy a K&N?
Gawhd guys it's a finesse thing. Apparently some people just don't have the balls to be patient with things like this