Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

K&N Intake Comparison: 77 Series vs. FIPK

Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
K&N Intake Comparison: 77 Series vs. FIPK

So I've had my eyes on a cold air intake upgrade for a while now and I can't decide between the two. Opinions? Testimonials? Does the metal material of the 77 make a louder sound? Obviously it's more expensive so it must be better, but how? Why?

Also considering the AFE ones, because they're much cheaper and I don't have much money, being a college student and all. Anyone think it's worth it? My main reason for getting one is that I like the sound and feel. After that, yea, gas mpg would be a nice plus as well. But yea. Definitely gotta have the sound.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Also I'm worried about all the sensors and tubes plugged into the stock intake. Will an intake affect those and screw something up? I've got a V4 automatic.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:17 PM   #3
The Cooler King
Dustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dustin03's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dustin03
Don't mean to point out the obvious, but I think you meant to say that you have the inline 4.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin03 View Post
Don't mean to point out the obvious, but I think you meant to say that you have the inline 4.
Ouch. Yea. My bad, i was typin fast :P

So what do you think about intakes?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
honestly, if i were you.....i would skip the intake all together. i would get a good drop in filter such as the afe pro dry s and install it/remove the secondary air filter too. you will have decent mileage gains,better throttle response, and a bit more power. its always hit or miss with an intake......plus, with any intake, they get their most performance at the higher rpms anyway......with the drop in filter....you get all the benefits with regular driving as well as higher rpm driving, so you still save money, plus, the drop in afe isnt an oiled filter....so all you gotta do is clean/dry and reinstall it. just a heads up............looking to save you some $$$!
Old 09-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #6

I've already replaced the stock filter with a K&N one. I had a buddy that put in an air intake on his car and I really liked the way it sounded above all else so I want to do that to my truck.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidro_el_pirata View Post
I've already replaced the stock filter with a K&N one. I had a buddy that put in an air intake on his car and I really liked the way it sounded above all else so I want to do that to my truck.
if you really want an intake...skip the k&n and go with an afe stage 2 intake....and it comes with the pro dry s filter, and i guarantee you that one sounds great and filters even better than k&n.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
if you really want an intake...skip the k&n and go with an afe stage 2 intake....and it comes with the pro dry s filter, and i guarantee you that one sounds great and filters even better than k&n.

dont listen to this guy k&N will shit all over that pro dry shit...

the real thing is that an intake is an intake and everyone has their own opinions. there all about the same performance wise, the urd one is sick but some cutting is involved. just get whatever ur wallet is allowed to get
Old 09-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
dont listen to this guy k&N will shit all over that pro dry shit...

the real thing is that an intake is an intake and everyone has their own opinions. there all about the same performance wise, the urd one is sick but some cutting is involved. just get whatever ur wallet is allowed to get
its an intake fight!!!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #10

Sigh. I wish there was a place i could just HEAR 'em side by side yknow? They should have sample recordings on their sites or something, that would be cool.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Sigh. I wish there was a place i could just HEAR 'em side by side yknow? They should have sample recordings on their sites or something, that would be cool.
the k&n will probably be a little louder since it has the open filter element, if that helps any.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
its an intake fight!!!!!
oh its on!!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #13
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
I went with the True Flow XDI...Here are some pics:

Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
Tuned By Gadget

that thing is crazy, isnt that like the most expensive intake out? looks like it belongs on an airplane!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
I went with the True Flow XDI...Here are some pics

Wow man, you may as well buy a turbine and just replace the engine haha. How does it sound? Got any clips of it?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
that thing is crazy, isnt that like the most expensive intake out? looks like it belongs on an airplane!
I think it's one of the more expensive ones out there right now...
I can't even remember how much i paid for it...(i got it right after i got the truck) haha... I paid a lot less than what they're going for now though...
Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
Tuned By Gadget

Quote:
I think it's one of the more expensive ones out there right now...
I can't even remember how much i paid for it...(i got it right after i got the truck) haha... I paid a lot less than what they're going for now though...

yea i remember when u posted that thread when u got the intake and looked up that intake and saw it was expensive. it looks strong
Old 09-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Wow man, you may as well buy a turbine and just replace the engine haha. How does it sound? Got any clips of it?
It definitely makes the truck louder...
I dont have any sound clips...

EDIT: i just looked at the thread i started when i first got it... I guess i paid $287.20.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #19

Quote:
It definitely makes the truck louder...
I guess i paid $287.20.
The K&N 77 Series is over $300 :/ And the AFE one that everyone is talking about is about half of that. But I love K&N. Thus my dilemma haha.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #20
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 77 series and i'll be selling it soon...gonna go back to stock w/ the secondary removed and order a drop in AFE