Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

want louder exhaust

Old 09-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
dabighi has a little shameless behaviour in the past
dabighi's Tacoma Gallery
want louder exhaust

im runnin the trd cai and have a flowmaster 40 series muffler outback and i still wanna go louder. whole new cai and muffler set up or one or the other? what you guys think? let me know
Old 09-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
Get some headers!
Old 09-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PreRunner View Post
Get some headers!
Dito, some Dough Thorley long tube headers makes the truck much louder.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabighi View Post
im runnin the trd cai and have a flowmaster 40 series muffler outback and i still wanna go louder. whole new cai and muffler set up or one or the other? what you guys think? let me know
headers and a flowmaster super 44.........and send me your flowmaster 40!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Why you wanna go LOUDER-you gonna drive yourself NUTS on them long freeway runs it would be like being trapped in a shopvac
Old 09-21-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Why you wanna go LOUDER-you gonna drive yourself NUTS on them long freeway runs it would be like being trapped in a shopvac
First long trip and I took the Dynamax off and welded the stock muffler back in. The only performance difference I noticed is the replacement speakers work better going back to stock.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Toyota_hic is on a distinguished road
Name: Grant
Toyota_hic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Toyota_hic
the 40 with headers is probly the loudest clear sound ur gonna get,cherry bombs/glasspacks r gonna have a little raspy tone......(you wont ever get a v6 to sound like a big v8)
Old 09-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
could go with a single chamber flowmaster race muffler...they are alot louder than the 40 since its basically half the baffles
Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i say cut the exhaust and run doug thorley long tubes. no cats. it would probly be louder.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
i say cut the exhaust and run doug thorley long tubes. no cats. it would probly be louder.
I installed doug thorley's on my '04. They required welding so I drove it to a shop to have a flange welded on. While Driving however the exhaust was coming straight out of the headers, no cat or exhaust. That sounded nice. My wife didn't think so.
I did remove my 2 restrictive 2" cats and put one high flow 2.5" cat in with a flowmaster 40 series at the end. It turns heads. I'm sure that a 4.0L would sound even better
Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah but toyota already switched to hi flo cats in 05 on the second gen trucks. Yours was still first gen regualr flo cats. thats why it sounded so nice And how was your torque when you just had the headers on there?
Old 05-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running DT long tubes, and the flowmaster 50 series. If I open it up, then it sounds like straight headers. But on the freeway, it calms down, and it's tolerable.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
yeah but toyota already switched to hi flo cats in 05 on the second gen trucks. Yours was still first gen regualr flo cats. thats why it sounded so nice And how was your torque when you just had the headers on there?
I never went above 2000 rpm with just the open headers. I can't get another ticket and I also was trying not to melt the engine compartment. I'm sure that without any backpressure it probably sucked. I had also installed a new clutch so it was hard to gauge a torque level because the clucth was a little spongey. When I went to start it in the garage I told my wife to go outside but she didn't want to. She got mad at first because I spent 600 bucks to make it sound like that.
When I had my stock exhaust with a flowmaster 40 series on it I would get a lot of drone crusing on the highway. After the headers and de-catting it's nowhere near as loud inside. If I want to here it I just roll the windows down.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
Muliefever
muliefever has a spectacular aura aboutmuliefever has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: First Class Petty Officer
muliefever's Tacoma Gallery
DT long tubes, and an aero turbine 2525. You will blow the doors off of the flowmaster guys!