Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

aFe Pro Dry S

Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
aFe Pro Dry S

just for reference of everybody here, i have a scangauge II and with stock air filter @ 70 mph w/ 285/75/16's i was getting 18.5-20.5 mpg (depending on flat or uphill)

w/ aFe Pro Dry S and same wheel/tire combo and mph, im now getting 21.5-23 mpg in the same area (i drive the same route every day to base)

so IMO, its well worth the $60 for a dry, washable filter that will last for years

enjoy
Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
just for reference of everybody here, i have a scangauge II and with stock air filter @ 70 mph w/ 285/75/16's i was getting 18.5-20.5 mpg (depending on flat or uphill)

w/ aFe Pro Dry S and same wheel/tire combo and mph, im now getting 21.5-23 mpg in the same area (i drive the same route every day to base)

so IMO, its well worth the $60 for a dry, washable filter that will last for years

enjoy
x2 plus if you pay $15 or so for an ordinary air filter it'll pay for itself in about 4 oil changes/air filter cleanings.
Thanks for the info. Makes me even happier I justified the money to buy one a while back
Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Thanks for the info.
no prob
Old 04-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
tacolax29 is on a distinguished road
Name: Christian
tacolax29's Tacoma Gallery
afe pro dry s

I know this is a stupid question but is the afe pro dry s filter, the filter you put in when you take out the secondary filter?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacolax29 View Post
I know this is a stupid question but is the afe pro dry s filter, the filter you put in when you take out the secondary filter?
nope. its a replacement for your stock air filter. donte waste your time removing the secondary filter, it doesnt do anything and people have reported worse mileage by doing this on the v6. it works better for the 4 bangers
Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
tacolax29 is on a distinguished road
Name: Christian
tacolax29's Tacoma Gallery
oh alright and sorry I'm new to this and just getting into this addiction but I just looked at the air filter and i guess the previous owner already took off the secondary air filter. I got a 4 banger so im planning to get the afe pro dry s filter to put on there cause i been reading lots of positive things about it. so l'm about to order one you know where i can get the best deal?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacolax29 View Post
oh alright and sorry I'm new to this and just getting into this addiction but I just looked at the air filter and i guess the previous owner already took off the secondary air filter. I got a 4 banger so im planning to get the afe pro dry s filter to put on there cause i been reading lots of positive things about it. so l'm about to order one you know where i can get the best deal?
i forgot the website i used. go to google and then go to shopping up next to the images link, and then type in the part number for the air filter

type in :
afe pro dry s 31-10114
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I agree totally. I had an AFE intake..complete waste of money for what I wanted - more mpg. I went to the stock intake with aFE drop in and never look back. The low end torque is better and the mpg increased slightly and its reusable. Win Win..
Old 04-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
Do you guys know if a 2010 AFE will work with a 2011 engine? My uneducated guess is yes, but the dude at AutoAnything didn't feel comfortable selling me one 'cause he didn't know. Also, where did ya'll get yours?
yeah it will work
Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #12
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
yeah it will work
yupp yupp, same engine, same vehicle. your good
Old 04-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
If you own a truck, don't expect amazing Mileage, buy a prius... You buy it you have to fill it up.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
If you own a truck, don't expect amazing Mileage, buy a prius... You buy it you have to fill it up.
ya but there are ways to help, kinda like air intake.....
Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
ya but there are ways to help, kinda like air intake.....
Get the Stage 2 I have it and I love it. BUt I am saying I buy an CAI for performance, gives good response on my truck and more power.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
Get the Stage 2 I have it and I love it. BUt I am saying I buy an CAI for performance, gives good response on my truck and more power.
it gives you a more false sense of power and response, because of the noise it makes. its really not that much so i just bought the drop in filter instead
Old 04-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective Dan
it gives you a more false sense of power and response, because of the noise it makes. its really not that much so i just bought the drop in filter instead
X2 intakes have shown to give almost no gain on Tacomas because the stock airbox already draws cold air from the fender well.