Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

87 vs. 89 vs. 91 Octain fuel. My findings....

Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
87 vs. 89 vs. 91 Octain fuel. My findings....

Over the summer I have been testing to see the "real world" difference between the 3 grades of fuel. My tests were done on a 155 mile loop from an elevation of 1080 ' up to 5500' and back. Average speed was targeted at 68 mph. Up hills I maintained 80-90. down hills I maintained 70. Temps for all three tests was 105*. Hills ranged from gradual to 6.5%. During this loop, the truck was being pushed pretty good, as anyone in AZ who has driven up north can attest to the amount of hills and twisty roads.

87 octain yeilded 15.12 m.p.g.
89 octain yeilded 15.51 m.p.g.
91 octain yeilded 16.61 m.p.g. *

*note: On the 91 oct. test, I was loaded with 200 lbs. more stuff than the other 2 tests, and still received better mpg.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
That's some good info, chris!

Thanks for doing the legwork!
Old 09-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
but how much more did you pay per gallon of 91? the mpg may not make up for the initial investment in $ per miles lol
Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
VeeRFour05 is on a distinguished road
VeeRFour05's Tacoma Gallery
Well for the 155 mile trip assuming a difference of 20 cents per gallon between 87 and 91, you'd save about $2. I personally have never noticed a difference in my cars. Shouldn't make too much of a difference, only difference is a higher flash point on the 91.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
but how much more did you pay per gallon of 91? the mpg may not make up for the initial investment in $ per miles lol
X2

What's the cost factor broken down into your findings?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeRFour05 View Post
Well for the 155 mile trip assuming a difference of 20 cents per gallon between 87 and 91, you'd save about $2. I personally have never noticed a difference in my cars. Shouldn't make too much of a difference, only difference is a higher flash point on the 91.
Right! there is a $0.20 difference between 8 and 91. I feel much more performance between the grades of gas. For example, when accelerating onto a freeway, when the truck would shift, there would be a degree of ping. With the 91, there is no ping, and the truck has a noticable "jump" off the line, and thru the rpm range. As 91 is "recomended" in my owners manual, and the truck runs notica bly better, I will continue to run it. Hell, a 2$ saveings aint bad!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have 93 stuff over there in AZ?

I think the gas here in Texas is 87 91 93.

I use the 91 stuff ever since I noticed a better performance from 87.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
what about pure racing fuel. could that be good or bad. i know that there could be a possibilty of burning the o2 sensors out and all but still...
Old 09-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Do you have 93 stuff over there in AZ?

I think the gas here in Texas is 87 91 93.

I use the 91 stuff ever since I noticed a better performance from 87.
No 93. My only other options are 95, 100, 102, 105, and 110. Those are much more ecpensive and not easilly gotten.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I run premium. I can feel a difference in how my truck drives, and I usually get 1MPG more than I do with regular. For me, its worth the extra cost.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
what about pure racing fuel. could that be good or bad. i know that there could be a possibilty of burning the o2 sensors out and all but still...
Never tried it on this Tacoma. I used it on my 2000 when I was super charged, and it was AWSOME!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
You guys KNOW how I feel on this=thats why I say 91 ALL THE WAY Screw that 87 crap!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
You guys KNOW how I feel on this=thats why I say 91 ALL THE WAY Screw that 87 crap!
Now, that's only for engines that can make something out of 91.

If you put 91 in an engine that recommends 87, I doubt you'd get anything extra out of it.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now, that's only for engines that can make something out of 91.

If you put 91 in an engine that recommends 87, I doubt you'd get anything extra out of it.
R ight you are
Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeRFour05 View Post
How'd you figure $2.00?

What's all that break out to be in cost per mile for both?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:24 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
How'd you figure $2.00?

What's all that break out to be in cost per mile for both?
Let's say Plus is about 15 cents more than Regular. It's more like 10-12 cents more here in Texas, but lets use 15 cents for the nationwide average.

A fill up of 20 gallons would be 20gal * $0.15 = $3.00 more if you use Plus, or also $3.00 saved if you use Regular over Plus.

Let's say that using Plus gets you 1.5mpg more than regular. Could be as low as 1, could be higher.

So, 1.5mpg * 20gal = 30 miles more per tank. Most of us get ~18mpg, mixed driving (don't kid yourself with lifted with heavy off road tires).

So 30mi/18mpg = 1.667 gallons worth of "extra" gas if we had used plus. Well, currently gas averages $3.65 (Reg) nationally, so 3.65 * 1.667 = $6.09 more than would have to been spent using Regular to travel as far as when using Plus. So, $6.09 - $3.00 saved earlier when using Regular = $3.09 saved when using Plus.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #17
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Over the summer I have been testing to see the "real world" difference between the 3 grades of fuel. My tests were done on a 155 mile loop from an elevation of 1080 ' up to 5500' and back. Average speed was targeted at 68 mph. Up hills I maintained 80-90. down hills I maintained 70. Temps for all three tests was 105*. Hills ranged from gradual to 6.5%. During this loop, the truck was being pushed pretty good, as anyone in AZ who has driven up north can attest to the amount of hills and twisty roads.

87 octain yeilded 15.12 m.p.g.
89 octain yeilded 15.51 m.p.g.
91 octain yeilded 16.61 m.p.g. *

*note: On the 91 oct. test, I was loaded with 200 lbs. more stuff than the other 2 tests, and still received better mpg.
That's terrible MPG!! 80-90 mph up hills.. must be those AZ money trees?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Let's say Plus is about 15 cents more than Regular. It's more like 10-12 cents more here in Texas, but lets use 15 cents for the nationwide average.

A fill up of 20 gallons would be 20gal * $0.15 = $3.00 more if you use Plus, or also $3.00 saved if you use Regular over Plus.

Let's say that using Plus gets you 1.5mpg more than regular. Could be as low as 1, could be higher.

So, 1.5mpg * 20gal = 30 miles more per tank. Most of us get ~18mpg, mixed driving (don't kid yourself with lifted with heavy off road tires).

So 30mi/18mpg = 1.667 gallons worth of "extra" gas if we had used plus. Well, currently gas averages $3.65 (Reg) nationally, so 3.65 * 1.667 = $6.09 more than would have to been spent using Regular to travel as far as when using Plus. So, $6.09 - $3.00 saved earlier when using Regular = $3.09 saved when using Plus.
I looked at it a different way....
Using Chris's original figures of 20cents more (per say) for 91 versus 87.

87 Costs $4 a gallon (for example) He's getting 15.5mpg. That's $.2581 cents per mile.
91 Costs $4.20 a gallon. He's getting 16.6mpg. That's $.2530 cents per mile.

We'll say you're getting 350 miles per tank - which leaves you with a total cost of:
$90.335 for 87 for 350 miles
$88.55 for 91 for 350 miles
That's only $1.79 savings for 350 miles.

If you drop the gas price to $3.50 & $3.65 - then the difference is only $2.06 per 350 miles.

The cost per mile will probably vary a lot between one truck to the other and how we drive etc. You'd probably have to run your own tests to see how your own results end up.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 AM   #19
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
91 octane (that is 100% pure gas here in WI) that has the +1 mpg advantage over 87 10% ethenol and with the added benefit of cleaner engine if your keeping the truck well into its later years could be argued as the way to go indeed!

After my intake install this week, I will try to get some results with 87 - 90 % gas vs. 91 - 100% gas
Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #20
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I just realized that two fillups ago I used 89 and then at my last fillup I calculated my gas mileage. I normally get 21.3 mpg, but with the 89 I only got 20.3 mpg.