AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-In Air Filter 70 20.35%
K&N 63 AirCharger CAI 49 14.24%
AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S CAI (TRD) 54 15.70%
Snorkel 6 1.74%
URD True CAI 34 9.88%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #21
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassetdad View Post
ok..I have a two questions .....1) If the cold intake filter is not inclosed like with Volant cold intakes, what keeps the filter from getting wet from road spray

2) Which cold intake do you suggest for a 2001 4x4, 2.7, 5m I drive 85% highway.

Thanks in Advance for all of your suggestions.
They do get damp from road spray. The trick is in keeping the water out of the engine. If I had to guess, I would say that the URD intake accomplishes this with the 2 bends and the upward slope of the intake.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #22
crasch is on a distinguished road
crasch's Tacoma Gallery
So far only thing I can get is the K&N Drop in filter, Everything else is CARB Pending or not CARB Approved.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:30 AM   #23
craigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant future

craigFLA's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my URD intake used, and installed it this past weekend. My X-SP came with the Borla intake system (no engine cover).

Installation isnt bad. You can cut the metal with anything, dremel, air body saw, etc. I started with my body saw, but it was messing up so I finished with red and green tin snips. I filed it down pretty, and painted the cut edge and surrounding area factory red to avoid rust. I didnt have the install kit (pattern and "combing" material), but the black door trim material I found at AutoZone worked perfectly. Turned out very clean and pretty

THere are 5 wires to extend. Again, I didnt have the kit, but not a big deal. Just take your time, and solder and heat shrink everything. I used di-electric grease inside the plug to avoid water issues, as most problems associated with rain are at the plug (from my understanding). Also, push HARD, to be sure the plug is locked in!!! Mine wasnt the first time, but I double checked and tried again.

I spend alot of time playing with the alignment, making sure piping didnt rub anywhere etc... I suggest removing the passenger headlight to cut the hole, then re-installing it BEFORE installing the intake, as after was impossible for me.

Looks like adding power steering fluid might be difficult with this intake, as the piping runs just over the resevoir.... Not a big deal to me, but something worth mentioning IMO.

Peformance--- I didnt expect such a difference above the Borla intake, but there is. Not too much noticeable up until 3500-4000 RPM, then there is a nice increase in accelleration. Very nice on the highway (my drive to work).

SOund--- Again, no real difference at idle or normal cruising speeds in town, untill you stomp on it, or go to pass on the highway. Then, its sounds great!!! Much better then the Borla intake hands down.

I live in SOuth Florida, and because of the HEAVY rains here I installed the K&N dry sock. I wouldnt recommend running this intake (in this climate) without it...

Hope this helps...Good luck.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #24
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigFLA View Post
I bought my URD intake used, and installed it this past weekend. My X-SP came with the Borla intake system (no engine cover).

Installation isnt bad. You can cut the metal with anything, dremel, air body saw, etc. I started with my body saw, but it was messing up so I finished with red and green tin snips. I filed it down pretty, and painted the cut edge and surrounding area factory red to avoid rust. I didnt have the install kit (pattern and "combing" material), but the black door trim material I found at AutoZone worked perfectly. Turned out very clean and pretty

THere are 5 wires to extend. Again, I didnt have the kit, but not a big deal. Just take your time, and solder and heat shrink everything. I used di-electric grease inside the plug to avoid water issues, as most problems associated with rain are at the plug (from my understanding). Also, push HARD, to be sure the plug is locked in!!! Mine wasnt the first time, but I double checked and tried again.

I spend alot of time playing with the alignment, making sure piping didnt rub anywhere etc... I suggest removing the passenger headlight to cut the hole, then re-installing it BEFORE installing the intake, as after was impossible for me.

Looks like adding power steering fluid might be difficult with this intake, as the piping runs just over the resevoir.... Not a big deal to me, but something worth mentioning IMO.

Peformance--- I didnt expect such a difference above the Borla intake, but there is. Not too much noticeable up until 3500-4000 RPM, then there is a nice increase in accelleration. Very nice on the highway (my drive to work).

SOund--- Again, no real difference at idle or normal cruising speeds in town, untill you stomp on it, or go to pass on the highway. Then, its sounds great!!! Much better then the Borla intake hands down.

I live in SOuth Florida, and because of the HEAVY rains here I installed the K&N dry sock. I wouldnt recommend running this intake (in this climate) without it...

Hope this helps...Good luck.
I have run without the K&N Dry Charger in the driving rain at 75 MPH. I didn't have any issues with water in the pipes. The filter did get damp, but nothing got past that. Thanks for posting about the wiring. I had forgotten how many wires there were.

Your X-SP, did it come with the Borla Exhaust as well? I am thinking about upgrading my exhaust, and I am looking at which way would be best for performance without adding too much of a note to it. I enjoy having a quiet cab on the highway.

I completely agree with you on the passing at highway speeds. I had to pass an Acura TL that cut me off this morning. My other option would have been getting sandwiched between the TL and a semi truck. As I laid on it, the guy in the TL whipped his head around to see me fly past him. Then the semi laid on his horns as he almost rear-ended the TL.

Damn, I love this intake.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #25
craigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant future

craigFLA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
I have run without the K&N Dry Charger in the driving rain at 75 MPH. I didn't have any issues with water in the pipes. The filter did get damp, but nothing got past that. Thanks for posting about the wiring. I had forgotten how many wires there were.

Your X-SP, did it come with the Borla Exhaust as well? I am thinking about upgrading my exhaust, and I am looking at which way would be best for performance without adding too much of a note to it. I enjoy having a quiet cab on the highway.

I completely agree with you on the passing at highway speeds. I had to pass an Acura TL that cut me off this morning. My other option would have been getting sandwiched between the TL and a semi truck. As I laid on it, the guy in the TL whipped his head around to see me fly past him. Then the semi laid on his horns as he almost rear-ended the TL.

Damn, I love this intake.

lol... now thats the ultimate advertisment..

Thanks for the rep!

Yes, it came with the Borla exhaust. It has a nice sound outside the cab, but its a little loud inside IMO. Others with similar set-up have disagreed though. I (like you) prefer a QUIET cab, so maybe I'm just too picky.

I will be installing sound deadener with my system (within the next month hopefully), and hope that helps with the cab drone.

If no, I may look into the Flowmaster Delta 50 muffler as an option. I've heard the sound outside is nice, but its designed to eliminate cab noise...

The stainless tip off my Borla is already pitting/oxidizing anyway, so if/when I do the muffler change, I will probably replace the muffler back with SS tubing and a REAL stainless tip.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #26
Nor*Cal
norcalbb11 has a spectacular aura aboutnorcalbb11 has a spectacular aura about

norcalbb11's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to norcalbb11 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalbb11
i went with the airaid cai and i have noticed some power increase or its just my mind playing tricks on me, but i have that and the throttle body spacer and i love the whistle it makes and with my flowmaster 40 i love the whole setup and im getting 22mpg on freeway and 18-19 city so i am happy, i am trying to find a dry filter to put on the intake though.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #27
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigFLA View Post
lol... now thats the ultimate advertisment..

Thanks for the rep!

Yes, it came with the Borla exhaust. It has a nice sound outside the cab, but its a little loud inside IMO. Others with similar set-up have disagreed though. I (like you) prefer a QUIET cab, so maybe I'm just too picky.

I will be installing sound deadener with my system (within the next month hopefully), and hope that helps with the cab drone.

If no, I may look into the Flowmaster Delta 50 muffler as an option. I've heard the sound outside is nice, but its designed to eliminate cab noise...

The stainless tip off my Borla is already pitting/oxidizing anyway, so if/when I do the muffler change, I will probably replace the muffler back with SS tubing and a REAL stainless tip.
Yeah, I am looking at either the Borla, the Flowmaster, or the DynoMax Super Turbo muffler...

For now, I am working on a security system and a sound system. I am in the process of purchasing some sound deadening from RAAMAaudio. I already did the rear panel in FatMat, but I wasn't impressed with the product. The results were pretty good though. I still have too much resonance and road noise from the doors to notice to much of a difference.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #28
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbb11 View Post
i went with the airaid cai and i have noticed some power increase or its just my mind playing tricks on me, but i have that and the throttle body spacer and i love the whistle it makes and with my flowmaster 40 i love the whole setup and im getting 22mpg on freeway and 18-19 city so i am happy, i am trying to find a dry filter to put on the intake though.
Both Amsoil and AFE make good dry filter cones. The URD intake comes with a dry Amsoil filter that I think is great.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #29
I dub thee malicious!

BTW - I bought my URD intake used as well. I think the guy I bought it from was upgrading to the URD supercharger which comes with a bit of a different intake.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #30
Nor*Cal
norcalbb11 has a spectacular aura aboutnorcalbb11 has a spectacular aura about

norcalbb11's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to norcalbb11 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalbb11
nice thanks for the info
Old 11-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #31
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I currently have an AFE pro-dry drop-in filter. For the few months I've been using it, I haven't seen any gas mileage increase from it.
Same for me.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:36 AM   #32
P. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to beholdP. Bauer is a splendid one to behold

P. Bauer's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Air Filter for 05-09 Tacoma intake.

have a brand new in box TRD filter for 05-09 Tacoma intake if anybody is interested.

email me.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #33
ham-biscuits5000 is on a distinguished road
ham-biscuits5000's Tacoma Gallery
Is a akimoto intake kit a good one?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #34
Defector
VooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDooTrip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AT2 (AW)
VooDooTrip's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, unless you're FI it doesn't really make a difference except for noise.. Granted your truck will breath better, but unless you take all the restrictors off and do a full exhaust (header/highflow/piping) you'll see minimal to no gains.. you're butt dyno will say different (it's all in your head though) btw amsoil drop in ftw.. lol
Old 12-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #35
RedTaco2134 will become famous soon enoughRedTaco2134 will become famous soon enough

Army: E-1
Name: Scott
RedTaco2134's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Stage 2 FTW!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #36
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTaco2134 View Post
AFE Stage 2 FTW!
yeppers...at wide open throttle your moving.

4.0 is a dog stock trying to pass, put on a CAI and it wakes it up over 4k all day.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #37
CAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really niceCAdiveTaco is just really nice

CAdiveTaco's Tacoma Gallery
With any of these units whether removing the 2nd stage, drop in or a full kit that requires cutting, will this cause any warranty issues?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #38
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaeTA View Post
With any of these units whether removing the 2nd stage, drop in or a full kit that requires cutting, will this cause any warranty issues?
Thanks
No warranty issues. Most of the CAI go right from the throttle body, the entire secondary filter is gone
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #39
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Here...TRD CAI...
Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #40
[eric] is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
[eric]'s Tacoma Gallery
I am a big fan of CAI. i love the way the sound and perform. i currently dont have one in my tacoma, but do plan on it. since i am not that close making this specific purchase i have not researched what different types are available for tacoma's.

I was thinking that even a CAI with bypass valve might not be ideal for off road conditions with mud, snow, and water. I guess it really depends on the location of the opening of CAI. But i was thinking that or a short ram.

anyone with suggestions or experience with these.