1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intake/Filter Showdown

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Ben_Schwarz_09, Sep 25, 2008.

?

Intake/Filter Showdown

1. Stock Drop-In Filter, a in Stock Air-Box

52 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. K&N Drop-In Filter

80 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-In Air Filter

70 vote(s)
    20.3%
  4. K&N 63 AirCharger CAI

49 vote(s)
    14.2%
  5. AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S CAI (TRD)

54 vote(s)
    15.7%
  6. Snorkel

6 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. URD True CAI

34 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. Mar 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Go to a local Harbor freight tools (if you have one around) and buy an air body saw for like $20.00. Its real easy.

2. Mar 3, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    Jrez920

Jrez920 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Bedford, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport long bed, Double Cab
    Nokya 8000k blue headlights and fogs, TRD 3rd brake light, 63 series k&n intake, and more small mods
    sup, heres the scoop im undecided on what to buy for an intake for my 06 tacoma. i want either a TRD intake or a K&N 63 series intake but now im hearing about the URD. im not decided yet ha tough desicion...

any comments?

JREZ

3. Mar 26, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    ShyTaco

ShyTaco Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner
    I have also been doing a LOT of research for the past couple of weeks b4 I decided not to get an intake. They dont make COLD air intakes for 2G Tacomas. The air intake is not from the bottom of the truck its from mid engine. The AI simply puts more air into your engine, sure, but does it compensate by injecting more fuel? Nope...you would have to "remap" your ECU...I ride sportbikes and its comparable to having a PowerCommander, where you can manipulate your ECU's air/fuel. I dont know if they make ones for Tacomas. Sure, it makes more noise than the stock one but does more noise = more power?

The dyno charts on the K&N website shows 10hp gain...at about 5K RPM!! I dunno about you, but I have never gone over 3K RPM..at 70MPH my RPM is a lil over 2K..how fast would I need to go to get to 5K RPM? 100MPH?! I e-mailed K&N a week ago and asked them to convince me to buy one but they haven't responded. If your daily driving takes you above 5K consistently, then I guess you'll see the HP gain.
    I got a drop-in Amsoil AF for $35 and it lets in "cleaner" air. I got a 08 V6 double cab short bed, BTW :rolleyes:

4. Mar 31, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    Lewiman06

Lewiman06 Undefeatable Underdog

Member:
    Washington/Montana
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab Short Box SR5
    Hood Protector. Rain Guards
    i'll be throwing in a K&N SRI within a month or so. and since i haven't seen any reviews on that here i'll post up what i think.

5. Apr 26, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    driving with my K&N 63 ive found that i get better gas mileage around 1.5 more mpg and when u just need to floor it, it goes and sounds amazing

6. Apr 27, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Correct.
    Most people get that placebo effect.:)

K&N-"We certainly understand why it is theoretically possible for a consumer to experience a mileage increase after installing a K&N air filter or intake system, however, we do not go so far as to make a general claim that our air filters and intake systems will provide an increase in mileage."

7. Apr 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    H2447INTX

H2447INTX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Angleton tx
    Vehicle:
    metalic grey tacoma sport
    k&n drop in filter for now , looking to get the 5100 and bring it up a bit !
    ok i am looking to get the drop in afe pro dry s filter , the site i am looking at said they dont make them for the 09, but i am thinking that is just not updated,

what if any thing is the diff in the 08 to 09 airfilter set up on the tacoma 4.0 v6?

i am guessing nothing !

8. May 6, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    Rob Lich

Rob Lich Member

Member:
    Why go to all the trouble and expense with a CAI?? I did a deckplate mod (and dropped in a K&N filter) for free in just a few minutes and it works great!

9. Jun 8, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    i did the deckplate mod like rob did, also dropped in an afe pro dry s filterand i love it!

10. Jul 17, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    09WhiteTaco4x4

09WhiteTaco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    Removed mud flaps, Borla cat-back exhaust, AFE Pro-Dry S air filter
    The dyno charts for both the TRD and the K&N air filters show an increase in hp throughout the rpm range, not just at 5000 rpm. The increase is greatest at about 4900 rpm's for the K&N and around 4000 rpm for the TRD, but that doesn't mean there aren't power gains at lower rpm's as well.

Secondly, I think the point of installing a high volume air intake is to increase passing power and acceleration. One might not necessarily need the power increase at a cruising rpm (unless they're towing), just in short bursts when merging on the freeway or passing a car, in which case its perfectly conceivable that one would reach 4000+ rpm. Redline is over 5k.

And, you have never gone over 3k rpm? Really? :eek: I can barely manage that in one driving trip, let alone...ever!

11. Jul 18, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    ShyTaco

ShyTaco Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner
    I realize that there are HP gains throughout the RPM ranges, but it is very minimal gains until you hit 3-4k RPM's.
    I guess because my Taco is an A.T. that I haven't gone over 3K and plus my driving style doesn't take me up that range (I have since gone around 3100-3200 rpm since my last post, lol)

That being said, I know that the K&N comes with VERY detailed installation instructions and it looks like a novice like me would be able to install it. Does anyone know if the TRD one comes with any step-by-step illustrated instructions? (09 White Taco you have convinced me to buy one :D ) Thanks for your help and understanding

12. Jul 19, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    Havent been on for a while, way too much going on lately...unfortunately...

Anyway, I know there has been countless threads about CAI's, and in particular the URD CAI and water being sucked into the intake. Just wanted to share my recent experience and hopefully help someone else.

I installed the URD with a K&N drysock, and DID notice an increase in accelleration at or near 4000 rpm. It sounds awesome with my Borla CAT-back setup, and looks even cooler looking since I installed the GrillCraft..And for the record, I DID solder, heat-shrink, wrap, and use di-electric grease at the MAF plug as I had heard stories of people having issues after not properly protecting it from moisture.

over the past few months the rain here in south florida has been rediculous! Memorial day weekend, while driving on the interstate at about 75 mph my truck started choking, sputtering..I lost ALL acceleration.

Fortunately I was a mile from home, and made the call to limp it home rather then get stranded in the pouring rain at 3 am. I turned the truck off once I parked, waited 30 seconds, and started it again. It fired right up, and all was fine.

This happened 2 more times (not as bad) before I finally removed my URD CAI and re-installed the Borla intake that came on my truck.

Maybe the grill allowed more rain inside the engine compartment, maybe not. All I do know is even WITH the K&N drysock, I was sucking water!

I love this intake, but would not recommend it, or one like it, to anyone living in a similar climate. Mine is now boxed up safely in the garage.

In the end, the additional power/sound is useless when you scrap a motor due to water intrusion!

Products Discussed in

To Top