AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-In Air Filter 70 20.35%
K&N 63 AirCharger CAI 49 14.24%
AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S CAI (TRD) 54 15.70%
Snorkel 6 1.74%
URD True CAI 34 9.88%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #41
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Go to a local Harbor freight tools (if you have one around) and buy an air body saw for like $20.00. Its real easy.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #42
Jrez920 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
Jrez920's Tacoma Gallery
Undecided?

sup, heres the scoop im undecided on what to buy for an intake for my 06 tacoma. i want either a TRD intake or a K&N 63 series intake but now im hearing about the URD. im not decided yet ha tough desicion...

any comments?

JREZ
Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #43
ShyTaco is on a distinguished road
ShyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have also been doing a LOT of research for the past couple of weeks b4 I decided not to get an intake. They dont make COLD air intakes for 2G Tacomas. The air intake is not from the bottom of the truck its from mid engine. The AI simply puts more air into your engine, sure, but does it compensate by injecting more fuel? Nope...you would have to "remap" your ECU...I ride sportbikes and its comparable to having a PowerCommander, where you can manipulate your ECU's air/fuel. I dont know if they make ones for Tacomas. Sure, it makes more noise than the stock one but does more noise = more power?

The dyno charts on the K&N website shows 10hp gain...at about 5K RPM!! I dunno about you, but I have never gone over 3K RPM..at 70MPH my RPM is a lil over 2K..how fast would I need to go to get to 5K RPM? 100MPH?! I e-mailed K&N a week ago and asked them to convince me to buy one but they haven't responded. If your daily driving takes you above 5K consistently, then I guess you'll see the HP gain.
I got a drop-in Amsoil AF for $35 and it lets in "cleaner" air. I got a 08 V6 double cab short bed, BTW
Old 03-31-2009, 07:10 AM   #44
Undefeatable Underdog
Lewiman06 is on a distinguished road
Navy: VP-46 Flight Engineer
Lewiman06's Tacoma Gallery
i'll be throwing in a K&N SRI within a month or so. and since i haven't seen any reviews on that here i'll post up what i think.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #45
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
driving with my K&N 63 ive found that i get better gas mileage around 1.5 more mpg and when u just need to floor it, it goes and sounds amazing
Old 04-27-2009, 04:34 PM   #46
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyTaco View Post
I have also been doing a LOT of research for the past couple of weeks b4 I decided not to get an intake. They dont make COLD air intakes for 2G Tacomas. The air intake is not from the bottom of the truck its from mid engine. The AI simply puts more air into your engine, sure, but does it compensate by injecting more fuel? Nope...you would have to "remap" your ECU...I ride sportbikes and its comparable to having a PowerCommander, where you can manipulate your ECU's air/fuel. I dont know if they make ones for Tacomas. Sure, it makes more noise than the stock one but does more noise = more power?

The dyno charts on the K&N website shows 10hp gain...at about 5K RPM!! I dunno about you, but I have never gone over 3K RPM..at 70MPH my RPM is a lil over 2K..how fast would I need to go to get to 5K RPM? 100MPH?! I e-mailed K&N a week ago and asked them to convince me to buy one but they haven't responded. If your daily driving takes you above 5K consistently, then I guess you'll see the HP gain.
I got a drop-in Amsoil AF for $35 and it lets in "cleaner" air. I got a 08 V6 double cab short bed, BTW
Correct.
Most people get that placebo effect.

K&N-"We certainly understand why it is theoretically possible for a consumer to experience a mileage increase after installing a K&N air filter or intake system, however, we do not go so far as to make a general claim that our air filters and intake systems will provide an increase in mileage."
Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #47
H2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant futureH2447INTX has a brilliant future

H2447INTX's Tacoma Gallery
ok i am looking to get the drop in afe pro dry s filter , the site i am looking at said they dont make them for the 09, but i am thinking that is just not updated,

what if any thing is the diff in the 08 to 09 airfilter set up on the tacoma 4.0 v6?

i am guessing nothing !
Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #48
Rob Lich is on a distinguished road
Rob Lich's Tacoma Gallery
Why go to all the trouble and expense with a CAI?? I did a deckplate mod (and dropped in a K&N filter) for free in just a few minutes and it works great!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #49
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
i did the deckplate mod like rob did, also dropped in an afe pro dry s filterand i love it!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #50
09WhiteTaco4x4 is on a distinguished road

09WhiteTaco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyTaco View Post
The dyno charts for both the TRD and the K&N air filters show an increase in hp throughout the rpm range, not just at 5000 rpm. The increase is greatest at about 4900 rpm's for the K&N and around 4000 rpm for the TRD, but that doesn't mean there aren't power gains at lower rpm's as well.

Secondly, I think the point of installing a high volume air intake is to increase passing power and acceleration. One might not necessarily need the power increase at a cruising rpm (unless they're towing), just in short bursts when merging on the freeway or passing a car, in which case its perfectly conceivable that one would reach 4000+ rpm. Redline is over 5k.

And, you have never gone over 3k rpm? Really? I can barely manage that in one driving trip, let alone...ever!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #51
ShyTaco is on a distinguished road
ShyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09WhiteTaco4x4 View Post
The dyno charts for both the TRD and the K&N air filters show an increase in hp throughout the rpm range, not just at 5000 rpm. The increase is greatest at about 4900 rpm's for the K&N and around 4000 rpm for the TRD, but that doesn't mean there aren't power gains at lower rpm's as well.

Secondly, I think the point of installing a high volume air intake is to increase passing power and acceleration. One might not necessarily need the power increase at a cruising rpm (unless they're towing), just in short bursts when merging on the freeway or passing a car, in which case its perfectly conceivable that one would reach 4000+ rpm. Redline is over 5k.

And, you have never gone over 3k rpm? Really? I can barely manage that in one driving trip, let alone...ever!
I realize that there are HP gains throughout the RPM ranges, but it is very minimal gains until you hit 3-4k RPM's.
I guess because my Taco is an A.T. that I haven't gone over 3K and plus my driving style doesn't take me up that range (I have since gone around 3100-3200 rpm since my last post, lol)

That being said, I know that the K&N comes with VERY detailed installation instructions and it looks like a novice like me would be able to install it. Does anyone know if the TRD one comes with any step-by-step illustrated instructions? (09 White Taco you have convinced me to buy one ) Thanks for your help and understanding
Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #52
craigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant futurecraigFLA has a brilliant future

craigFLA's Tacoma Gallery
Urd cai

Havent been on for a while, way too much going on lately...unfortunately...

Anyway, I know there has been countless threads about CAI's, and in particular the URD CAI and water being sucked into the intake. Just wanted to share my recent experience and hopefully help someone else.

I installed the URD with a K&N drysock, and DID notice an increase in accelleration at or near 4000 rpm. It sounds awesome with my Borla CAT-back setup, and looks even cooler looking since I installed the GrillCraft..And for the record, I DID solder, heat-shrink, wrap, and use di-electric grease at the MAF plug as I had heard stories of people having issues after not properly protecting it from moisture.

over the past few months the rain here in south florida has been rediculous! Memorial day weekend, while driving on the interstate at about 75 mph my truck started choking, sputtering..I lost ALL acceleration.

Fortunately I was a mile from home, and made the call to limp it home rather then get stranded in the pouring rain at 3 am. I turned the truck off once I parked, waited 30 seconds, and started it again. It fired right up, and all was fine.

This happened 2 more times (not as bad) before I finally removed my URD CAI and re-installed the Borla intake that came on my truck.

Maybe the grill allowed more rain inside the engine compartment, maybe not. All I do know is even WITH the K&N drysock, I was sucking water!

I love this intake, but would not recommend it, or one like it, to anyone living in a similar climate. Mine is now boxed up safely in the garage.

In the end, the additional power/sound is useless when you scrap a motor due to water intrusion!