AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S CAI (TRD) 54 15.70%
Snorkel 6 1.74%
URD True CAI 34 9.88%
Voters: 344. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Ben_Schwarz_09 is on a distinguished road
Ben_Schwarz_09's Tacoma Gallery
Intake/Filter Showdown

I am having trouble choosing between if i want a Cold Air Intake, or just a Drop-In filter. Then i am not sure if i wanna go with a K&N wet filter, or a AFE dry filter. There is too many Pros & Cons and too many threads about them both, so thats why i here, to put it all in one. Vote for which set of the filter/intake you like and if you want leave a reason why.

**I plan on going under 3500 RPMs, and i live in South Texas, but am about to move to East Texas. My Tacoma is a 2008, so I am not wanting to take out the secondary air filter just yet, going to wait for my warrenty to end.**

Please share your knowledge with me, so i may make the proper choice.

&Thanks for the Help
Old 09-25-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
just remove the secondary filter and get an afe pro dry s......alot less expensive, and you will see mileage gains. thats my vote!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What exactly are you looking for in an upgraded air filter?

There's a big difference between a CAI and a drop-in.

I've run K&N drop-ins for years in a variety of vehicles. I've never had any problems with the MAF (over oiled) and they always filtered properly for me (cleaned regularly). I've seen 1-2mpg gas mileage increase with the K&N's with each vehicle I've owned.

I currently have an AFE pro-dry drop-in filter. For the few months I've been using it, I haven't seen any gas mileage increase from it.

As for a CAI - I had a Mopar CAI on a previously owned Dodge Ram. I lost torque (towing), lost gas mileage (coupled with exhaust), and the engine noise was a lot louder.

I'm gonna say that drop-in air filters are for those who want a small amount of throttle response and perhaps gas mileage increases. While a CAI mostly for horsepower and racing.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
how could you do a poll like this and not include the URD???

among the options listed, I'd go with what broken-neck will suggested.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
how could you do a poll like this and not include the URD???

among the options listed, I'd go with what broken-neck will suggested.
it aint quite broke yet....but its awful damn close!!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Ben_Schwarz_09 is on a distinguished road
Ben_Schwarz_09's Tacoma Gallery
I just didnt liek the URDs, i didnt find enough information to have a serous thought about them... but some good news, ... i finally got my truck in,( Had to order it from another dealership) i have been finding info about it this entire time (all of like 2 week)... im ganna go, gatta show it off
-Gig' Em
Ben
Old 09-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
thats It will, Your new indian name....broken neck. Just kidding
Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
thats It will, Your new indian name....broken neck. Just kidding
thats ok...........but if you're gonna name it officially "broke neck"...gotta add the last part too......"broke neck/itchy triggerfinger"
Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

you got it man
Old 11-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
Broke Neck Mountain?
hell noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #11

dude WTF. No thats not it
Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
I am an ass... I added URD and TRD to the poll.

URD TCAI - FTW!!!

...man, I hate acronyms.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #13
dabighi has a little shameless behaviour in the past
dabighi's Tacoma Gallery
im runnin the trd cai and from what im told its the same as the afe stage 2. love it. does create some extra engine noise but then again i dont mind it. as far as mpg goes...i might have gotten maybe 2-3 extra...but i drive with a lead foot so dont take those numbers too seriously. with the urd you can get info on it on www.urdusa.com only problem i saw with the setup is that the filter is now right behind the grille. so if you live in a place that rains alot or go muddin alot its probably not such a good idea. just my opinion. alot of people love their urd's and i know alot of people love the k&n too. its just comes down to what your looking for.power..noise..torque..mpg's and of course budget
Old 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabighi View Post
im runnin the trd cai and from what im told its the same as the afe stage 2. love it. does create some extra engine noise but then again i dont mind it. as far as mpg goes...i might have gotten maybe 2-3 extra...but i drive with a lead foot so dont take those numbers too seriously. with the urd you can get info on it on www.urdusa.com only problem i saw with the setup is that the filter is now right behind the grille. so if you live in a place that rains alot or go muddin alot its probably not such a good idea. just my opinion. alot of people love their urd's and i know alot of people love the k&n too. its just comes down to what your looking for.power..noise..torque..mpg's and of course budget
I have driven through pouring rain at 70 MPH towing nearly 6,000lbs of VW Jetta (aka - intake was pulling in quite a bit of air). No issues with water in the intake, no error codes, and no loss of power.

mudding - that's a whole other story. If you are doing that, may I suggest a snorkel.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
dabighi has a little shameless behaviour in the past
dabighi's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm wish i wouldve known that earlier about the drivin in the rain. you gettin any more mpg's with that? how you like the whole setup
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #16
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabighi View Post
hmmm wish i wouldve known that earlier about the drivin in the rain. you gettin any more mpg's with that? how you like the whole setup
I love the intake. I didn't like having to cut up my MAF wires and extending them, but it makes for a very reliable setup.

I gained 1-2 MPG on the highway to get 21.5 MPG average highway. However, my in-town driving went down. I went from 19 MPG average in-town to 18 MPG average. Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that it is a ton of fun to floor it.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 AM   #17
I dub thee malicious!

I was running a K&N rain cover on it for the first 2 days, but I found that it killed my MPG. I don't have any problem running it as is in the rain or through a touchless car wash.

(with K&N Rain cover)
Old 11-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #18
KaliTaco is on a distinguished road
KaliTaco's Tacoma Gallery
im thinking about getting the urd intake. i know about cutting a hole so you can run the piping. how hard is that to do? what tools are needed? how long did you have to extend your wires? how many wires to extend? is it just bolt on?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:01 AM   #19
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliTaco View Post
im thinking about getting the urd intake. i know about cutting a hole so you can run the piping. how hard is that to do? what tools are needed? how long did you have to extend your wires? how many wires to extend? is it just bolt on?
Cutting the hole isn't that bad, but I will be dead honest - I didn't do it. My friend Todd did it for me since he has more experience cutting metal than I do. If I had know how easy it was going to be, I might have tried it myself.

I extended the wires a good ~28 inches or so. I can't remember how many their were, but I think it was 4 wires.

The rest is just bolt on.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #20
What if God Smoked Cannabis
Bassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud of

Bassetdad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Bassetdad Send a message via AIM to Bassetdad Send a message via Yahoo to Bassetdad
ok..I have a two questions .....1) If the cold intake filter is not inclosed like with Volant cold intakes, what keeps the filter from getting wet from road spray

2) Which cold intake do you suggest for a 2001 4x4, 2.7, 5m I drive 85% highway.

Thanks in Advance for all of your suggestions.