Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Larger tires less gas mileage?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
masshole taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Big Daddy
masshole taco's Tacoma Gallery
Larger tires less gas mileage?

I recently put on some BFG AT 285 75 R16's along with some Dick Cepek rims (yes I'll be posting pics when it's all clean and shiny) but I notice i was getting 320-330 miles per fill up but now i'm closer to 300-305... Did anybody else notice such a dramatic drop after they put on larger tires? Also notice the pick up isn't as strong with the new tires.. THEY LOOK AWESOME just kinda wondering though with the mileage and power.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!
AvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAvsFanTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
AvsFanTRD's Tacoma Gallery
larger tires = more weight
Old 04-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
What did you expect man?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Larger tires= More turning mass and weight,to regain power and MPG=New gears in pumpkins.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Señor Member
AC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shedAC13JohnG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AC13JohnG's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still getting 22ish with bigger tires.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
My mileage has sucked lately when i put my 285's on
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Unleashed is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Unleashed's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I have 265/75/16 and yes I know my mileage was going to go down some but my power stayed about the same..
Old 04-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleashed View Post
Yea I have 265/75/16 and yes I know my mileage was going to go down some but my power stayed about the same..
^same here. I've never checked my mileage since owning the truck but the power didn't seem to change. I went from 265/70/16 to 265/75/16.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
No it didnt. do you have an automatic? there's your answer...you wont notice the power drop like a guy with a stick would have. when it comes to putting on bigger tires and losing a little power, you dont get to be an exception to the rule
Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
No it didnt. do you have an automatic? there's your answer...you wont notice the power drop like a guy with a stick would have. when it comes to putting on bigger tires and losing a little power, you dont get to be an exception to the rule
Why wouldn't you notice a power drop with the automatic?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #11
gjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shedgjbonner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: LAR (Master Gunner/Instructor)
Name: Guy
gjbonner's Tacoma Gallery
because it shifts smartly for you..in a stick you feel the "lug" and then you shift. an automatic will do the "noticing" for you i didnt say you wouldnt notice it, i just said not as much. if it is a huge difference in tire size then yes you are going to notice your tranny down shifting more often than it used to but if it is only from 30's to 31's or 31's to 32's (one tire size or so) then you aren't going to notice it like a guy with a stick.

im not as smart as, and cannot "sense" things like an computer (automatic) so i have to wait till i notice it then i down shift manually.

EDIT: also the main point here is that you may not notice it...but you did receive power loss when you went to a bigger tire. you or anyone else can not avoid this. unless you put in a bigger engine, SC, Turbo, or re-gear of course
Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
masshole taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Big Daddy
masshole taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yes its' an automatic..As mentioned it's not a huge difference just about 30 miles less per tank.. Just kinda wondering how it was for everyone else.. I don't mind the lack of power on the start... I didn't get the taco to squeel em on the start... LOL.. was getting about 330 miles to the tank no its about 300-305... I'm happy to trade 30 miles to the tank with the new tires and new wheels...I'm going to clean it all up and post pics probably either this coming week or weekend.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
Damaged Goods
ag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ag4892's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to bring up an old thread, I will be going up a tire size next time I need 'em. I thought I read you can have the dealership adjust the computer to compensate for the larger circumference, has anyone done this?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP are you taking into account that your traveling further with larger tires?

I am getting 24-25 with my setup and 33's
Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #15
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
yeah, ur odometer is off on ur truck now. if u are "traveling" 250 miles on your odomometer, u have actually traveled like 265 or so. these are rough guesstamites but u get the idea.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #16
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
the tire size calculator on the bottom might help out converting to the new mileage!