Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

size pipe of exhaust should i go bigger

Old 09-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
ZO95 is on a distinguished road
ZO95's Tacoma Gallery
size pipe of exhaust should i go bigger

i called a muffler shop and ask about a magna flow exhaust they said the could either just weld a muffler on or do custom piping from the cat back with 2.5 pipe would that not be the same as just the stock piping or not or should i just buy the magna flow cat back system from my toyota dealer
Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
What was the cost comparision?? What are your goals for making the swap- Power, Sound??

Just muffler is going to be cheapest but with the least change. Between the other two- I'm going to guess it'll be cheaper for them to custom fab/weld a setup for you...but I'm not sure....That's probably the best thing to consider.

Good luck!!!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
ZO95 is on a distinguished road
ZO95's Tacoma Gallery
the diifrence was 160 for just muffler and 280 for the cat back
Old 09-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
just having a muffler welded is essentially the same thing as an expensive catback..............its the route i always go. about the only benefit with the magnaflow catback is that its stainless. depending on the state you live in/weather you get all the time........you probably dont even have to worry whether its stainless. just food for thought.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
just having a muffler welded is essentially the same thing as an expensive catback..............its the route i always go. about the only benefit with the magnaflow catback is that its stainless. depending on the state you live in/weather you get all the time........you probably dont even have to worry whether its stainless. just food for thought.
how about different y-pipes that make a huge difference?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
how about different y-pipes that make a huge difference?
yeah, y-pipes made right would make a huge difference, but he was asking about a catback.......and every version i have seen of a "catback" is the the piping on after the y-pipe, basically, a piece of pipe, the muffler, then the exiting pipe. they really shouldnt even call them cat backs.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
no disagree, the y-pipe is in the catback package.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
no disagree, the y-pipe is in the catback package.
http://www.magnaflow-champ.com/index...&Category=8259

no y-pipe there man.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the stock piping is 2.5 in and out of the muffler, right???
Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
I personally wouldnt go bigger than the stock pipe diameter. If you go bigger, for one it will make your truck sound more tinny or, "ricey".
Also, with a bigger pipe you will gain flow but you will lose backpressure, so that will shift more of your engine's power to the high end of the rpm range. IMO, thats not very useful for a truck.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, i just ordered a SS magnaflow muffler off ebay for $69 including shipping. the sellers name is "dotcomparts". he has it listed for buy it now for $78 but i best offered him $60 and we met at $69. and they ship from the great state of SC, so that'll determine how long it takes to get to ya!!