1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger came in!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Ez2typethis, May 5, 2011.

1. May 13, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    Ez2typethis

Ez2typethis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport
    Suspension -LSK Uniball Uper Control Arms -LSK Uniball Lower Control Arms -Camburg Performance Spindles -ECGS Needle Bearing Installed -Archive Garage Hammer Hangers -Archive Garage 3.6” Shackles -Archive Garage Hanger Cross Tube -Icon 2.5 CDC Extended Travel Coilovers -Icon 14" 700 pound coils -Icon 2.5 CDC RXT Shocks -Icon 2.0 Hydraulic Bump Stops *Bolt On Bump Stop Mount -Wheelers Front Super Bumps Armor -At The Helm Front Bumper -At The Helm Rear Bumper -At The Helm Rear Swing Out -RCI Sliders -RCI Engine Skid Plate -RCI Transfer Case Skid Plate -RCI Transmission Skid Plate -RCI Fuel Tank Skid Plate -Prinsu Designs Top Rack -Prinsu Designs Cab Rack Lights -Black Head Light Mod -OEM TRD Pro Tail Lights -MESO LED Turn Signals -Morimoto HID Headlight Kit -Caliraised LED 40” Slimline -Caliraised LED 20” Slimline -Caliraised LED Amber Pods -Caliraised LED Wide Ditch Lights -Caliraised LED Flush Mount Pods -LED High Beams -LED Dome Lights -LED Back-Up Lights -LED License Plate Lights Miscellaneous -OVtuned2.0 -4.88 gears -ARB twin comp -ARB rear locker -Leer 100XQ Camper Shell -Smitty Built X20 Winch -Warn Fairlead -Warn Sidewinder -Roto Pax 4.5 Gallon Gasoline -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Water -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Gasoline -Weathertech Floor Liners -Double limo tinted -50% tinted windshield -Leather Seats - Installed At Dealer Wheels and Tires -Matte Black Stealth Custom Series Ray 10's (X5) -BFG KO2 285x70r17 // Load Range C (X5)
    I hear a lot of good things about the URD SC and i have to say the biggest deciding facter in me going with the TRD kit was the fact that it does not void the warranty, i've got 14k miles on my truck and i'm covered til 100k or 8 yrs.

definitely care about my warrany lol

I believe Magnuson and TRD joined forces to develop a supercharger that would offer the most power with out exceeding the California Air Resource Board's standards. which is another deciding factor in why i went with TRD over URD. That CARB number is a life saver in the event of a cop checking under the hood.

I'm thinking about it, i want to get the TRD cat back on before i do though.

3890 for parts (trdparts4u.com), daelership install for 800

getting a smaller pully would be my first guess. But if you're any bit as worried about the warranty like i am, you wouldn't change it until it expires.

[​IMG]

INSTALLED!

NONE supercharged pull

th_VIDEO0001_64b2fcbb32203bc02b54c76c9cbfde900f20b33b.jpg

Supercharged pull

th_VIDEO0004_e47151c273a897ffdac2991846e826db19846db7.jpg

My truck is bone stock other than the supercharger.. I clocked the 0-60 at around 6 seconds. Definitely night and day from before the supercharger but it's still not as quick as my vette!

[​IMG]

Photo courtesy of Eric Walden pilot who has the bad azzz camera, feel free to use it as your destop MUahaha JK :p

2. May 13, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport
    Suspension -LSK Uniball Uper Control Arms -LSK Uniball Lower Control Arms -Camburg Performance Spindles -ECGS Needle Bearing Installed -Archive Garage Hammer Hangers -Archive Garage 3.6” Shackles -Archive Garage Hanger Cross Tube -Icon 2.5 CDC Extended Travel Coilovers -Icon 14" 700 pound coils -Icon 2.5 CDC RXT Shocks -Icon 2.0 Hydraulic Bump Stops *Bolt On Bump Stop Mount -Wheelers Front Super Bumps Armor -At The Helm Front Bumper -At The Helm Rear Bumper -At The Helm Rear Swing Out -RCI Sliders -RCI Engine Skid Plate -RCI Transfer Case Skid Plate -RCI Transmission Skid Plate -RCI Fuel Tank Skid Plate -Prinsu Designs Top Rack -Prinsu Designs Cab Rack Lights -Black Head Light Mod -OEM TRD Pro Tail Lights -MESO LED Turn Signals -Morimoto HID Headlight Kit -Caliraised LED 40” Slimline -Caliraised LED 20” Slimline -Caliraised LED Amber Pods -Caliraised LED Wide Ditch Lights -Caliraised LED Flush Mount Pods -LED High Beams -LED Dome Lights -LED Back-Up Lights -LED License Plate Lights Miscellaneous -OVtuned2.0 -4.88 gears -ARB twin comp -ARB rear locker -Leer 100XQ Camper Shell -Smitty Built X20 Winch -Warn Fairlead -Warn Sidewinder -Roto Pax 4.5 Gallon Gasoline -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Water -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Gasoline -Weathertech Floor Liners -Double limo tinted -50% tinted windshield -Leather Seats - Installed At Dealer Wheels and Tires -Matte Black Stealth Custom Series Ray 10's (X5) -BFG KO2 285x70r17 // Load Range C (X5)
  3. May 14, 2011 at 5:46 AM
    Murd3rd

Murd3rd I believe I Toyota harder than most

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    00.5 Reg Cab Slammed, Turbo'd/19 TRD OR 6MT S/C
    1st gen - it's got a built engine, a turbo, and waaaaaaay too much to list. 3rd gen - basic-bitch lift, S/C, Pro Wheels
    i understand that you are afraid of your warranty being void, but just installing it does NOT instantly void your warranty, only if the S/C is proven to screw something up, and as long as you do what URD says, i.e. not over boosting before actually building your motor and reinforcing key components, then you have nothing to worry about, look up the magnusson(sp?) warranty act, if you have that document and read it and understand it then you have no reason to be afraid to modify your truck "outside manufacturer specs" so to speak, me personally would have went with the URD, much more room for growth and HP!!!!!!!! to me the TRD just seems to be too conservative

4. May 14, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport
    1st

"If i went with the URD supercharger and anything in the drive train failed on me at 90k miles, it would not be covered because of the non toyota or TRD part that was installed..." Straight from the service dept. manager at the dealership which i bought my tacoma from. Because of the fact that toyota would blame the non TRD or toyota part for the damages caused to the engine, transmission etc. etc. 100% of the time. i understand if you dont exceed boost pressure or whatever URD advises that everything should be fine. Toyota will still not cover it, even though i did not exceed URD specs. Also I doubt if URD would shell out any money to fix damages, that may be caused by their supercharger.

:ohsnap:

2nd

Still waiting for an email back from URD but i am 99% sure that their supercharger kits are not built to meet or exceed the California air resource board's standards, making the supercharger 50 state emissions legal. Since i reside in California this is also a make or break factor. I believe it states...

Legal in California Only for Racing Vehicles Which May Never be Used on a Highway

at the end of their supercharger add.

http://www.urdusa.com/Forced-Induct...e-I-to-Stage-II-Upgrade-Kit/product_info.html

[​IMG]

Good luck getting smogged in california with out that CARB cert number.

:ohsnap:

In Texas, i'm sure you can get away with a lot more and it definitely may be worth it for you to go with URD to supercharge your Tacoma. But for me, since i live in California and drive my vehicle daily on the highway, it would not. The fact of the matter is, it is specifically stated in my warranty, that "Alteration of tampering, including installation of non-geniune Toyota accessories" "installation of non-genuine Toyota parts" are not covered. Even if i did what URD says and not over boost w/o doing other necessary engine modifications, I would not be able to tell Toyota that (with intentions of them honoring my warranty) in the event of mechanical failure. So besides the fact that it is most definitely not covered by my factory warranty, it is also ILLEGAL. That is why i went TRD over URD.

5. May 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    niice. i need to get me 1 of those, when the money's lookin right

6. May 14, 2011 at 12:46 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods

How much different is your MPG since this was installed?

7. May 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport
    Not too much different. I can say that if i keep my foot out of it, it might not be much different than stock. But since i'ts new, i'm on i a lot more and my needle has been going down a lot quicker :p

From what i understand though, since the engine has more power, it no longer needs as much power to move the vehicle down the road so you should see a slight inscrease in gas mileage. Not sure right now though.

8. May 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport

Recieved word from URD

Their superchargers are not CARB certified.

and

They do not make superchargers for anything newer than 2008

So not only does it void warranty, it's illegal to use on the streets of California and it doesnt exist for my truck.

9. May 14, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    JHAirForce05

JHAirForce05 I'm kinda a big deal

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SP
    Kenwood DDX712 with Nav and rear view cam, Viper 5901 Security System, Kobalt Slim Line Compact Truck Tool Box
    Lucky! Congrats

10. May 15, 2011 at 2:28 AM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen - it's got a built engine, a turbo, and waaaaaaay too much to list. 3rd gen - basic-bitch lift, S/C, Pro Wheels

OK lets say your engine was to malfunction in any way, they cannot simply void your warranty because you installed an aftermarket part, whether it be a Toyota part or not, they have to PROVE that the part installed is what caused the malfunction(The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)), i can however understand the whole CARB. legal and emissions thing since you do live in California, sorry i must have missed that you lived in California,(or failed to even look for that matter) and have to abide by the bogus laws that California has, i was not tryin to start a fight by any means, was just wondering why.........i will stop bugging you now, haha

11. May 15, 2011 at 2:31 AM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    maybe they havent tested it on anything newer than an 08 yet, but they are the same engine....the TRD s/c that you installed on you truck will work on an 05, and vice-versa

12. May 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport

No worries, california does have bogus emissions laws, agreeeeed there

13. May 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    Ez2typethis

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport

From gadget at URD

"our kit fits 2008. we hope to have the ECU connector plugs soon to cover the later ones.

our supercharger kit is not CARB approved"

It'd be nice if they were legal for me and made it for my truck. they do have some pretty impressive results.

14. May 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    Murd3rd

Member:
    Your Mom's House, USA
    Vehicle:
    that they do

Products Discussed in

To Top