Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

New here and I've got a question or 2

Old 10-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Primer88 is on a distinguished road
Primer88's Tacoma Gallery
New here and I've got a question or 2

Hi,

I am not a taco owner BUT I'm not new to trucks or performance upgrades. I've got a friend/co worker with an 03 double cab 4wd and a long time friend with a 02 extended cab 4wd. Neither of them are internet or forum savvy nor do they have the knowledge to work on their trucks so they turn to me.

My friend Will isn't much into performance stuff so I just help him with regular things.

Jason on the other hand wants to kick the performance up a little. I say "a little" because his 03 is in near mint condition and only has 20k miles on it and he plans on keeping it as a daily driver for a looooooooong time. Otherwise he'd be all over a supercharger or turbo.

He wants to do exhaust and intake as well as some other mods if the cost is worth the gain in power and or mileage.

I've already read and printed out the deck plate mod stuff so I won't bother you guys with that. Ironically his father in law owns a large boat dealership so a deck plate will be free. His uncle owns a muffler shop so that end is covered too.

I did some searching and didn't really find the answer to this question though. Are you guys switching to electric cooling fans? I can't find any direct replacement setups which I'd like to use but using a universal Permacool or Spal won't be a problem. I was wondering if there is any real gain to be had with that mod.

Last question is about engine tuning. Is it worth (and can it be done) doing tuning with an SCT type tuner?

Thanks
Dan
Old 10-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Can't say to much about a lot of that above... but what I can say about the swap to an electric fan is I'll probably do it myself. Not for any performance gain, but more for reliability. I ended up towing my buddies '00 tundra because the fan seized up and would kill the motor any time you tried to give it some gas. (something to see going down a busy freeway, a new taco pulling a tundra on a tow rope). Easy to fix of course, but mechanical fans just seem... barbaric these days.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Someone will have an answer for you. In the mean time,enjoy the forum.Welcome to TW.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Primer88 is on a distinguished road
Primer88's Tacoma Gallery
I did the deckplate mod and he loves it. he needs a new air filter (nasty ass K&N drop in) and an oil change now. I'm going to do the electric fan mod on his truck sooner or later. I assume the stock fan just unbolts with the 5 or 6 (can't remember) at the center of the fan hub?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Sprayin' Paint like Its my Job
Choco Taco is on a distinguished road

Choco Taco's Tacoma Gallery
yup. I think its actually only 4 bolts tho

Products Discussed in this Thread