Notices

opinions please?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #21
Ken Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Ken Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm...afe said as follows:
they make the trd intakes
cai gets 13hp/21 tq rear wheel and NO loss at bottom end

didnt want me to get drop in...or should say "guided" me away from one....

my take:
ahh sales are slow huh bud....
cai is top end gains....ever drive on s calif freeways?? TOP END? LOL yeah at midnight.

$62 and change for drop in......or $ 371.31 for cai...hmmmm...drop in time....ride, monitor mpg and throttle response....maybe follow "broken necks" advice after about 2nd filter...
anyway...lots of conflicting info out there...just like with my cummins, my harley etc etc

oh well....its Al Gores fault for inventing the internet
Old 10-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #22
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Dawg View Post
a/c on coast here in s.calif is a waste....you have stock setup?
I've got stock tires, URD intake, and URD MAF calibrator
Old 10-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #23

ok ok

figured that the drop in would work...but...
after a close look at that intake tube i kept thinking...elephants trunk...LOL
wtf is that?? airflow thru that then stock filter, then the "bonus" filter?
its easy to see how afe can claim 23 tq 13 hp rear wheel...hell a 5/8ths garden hose would get gains...

so.... ya all sure a drop in and removing 2nd filter works?? or is it just less expensive?
Read on here that the URD is very good unless you are in water etc....is rain at high speeds a factor? Do you have to do exhaust with a CAI?
before I pull trigger on something I better explore options more...
hey sorry for the back n forth... just new to the v6 world
thanks in advance
Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #24
go big or go home
tacoman316 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Machinery technicion 3rd class
tacoman316's Tacoma Gallery
if your not looking at getting a whole new intake what i did is i removed my secondary air filter and I already had a banks monster exhaust on my truck. But when and if you do the secondary air filter removal take that whole intake tube off and the end that goes into the fender that scoop that points toward the rear of the truck. I took a dremel tool and cut that scoop off straight and i could tell a noticable difference in hp and mileage. Thats just if your trying to avoid a whole intake for now.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman316 View Post
if your not looking at getting a whole new intake what i did is i removed my secondary air filter and I already had a banks monster exhaust on my truck. But when and if you do the secondary air filter removal take that whole intake tube off and the end that goes into the fender that scoop that points toward the rear of the truck. I took a dremel tool and cut that scoop off straight and i could tell a noticable difference in hp and mileage. Thats just if your trying to avoid a whole intake for now.
That scoop mod gives more air flow?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #26
go big or go home
tacoman316 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Machinery technicion 3rd class
tacoman316's Tacoma Gallery
yeah it does its like the difference between half throttle and WOT its less restrictive.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman316 View Post
yeah it does its like the difference between half throttle and WOT its less restrictive.
sorry but that is where you see the difference or that is an analogy? sorry got the flu...still doing better than our economy LOL
Old 10-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #28

ok....
K+N drop in (46.00)
2nd filter MIA...(11seconds)
much better.....till I get bored again
Old 10-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #29
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
is it fair to say the following?

aside from a drop in afe pro-s or K+N there really are not any mods that increase MPG ??
Seems these exhausts (mufflers and systems) just change sound and or add high end HP.
Just been researching this site and the web....
would love actual proof of increased mpg on exhaust mods.
Thanks
Drop in AFE-dryS on mine, had a dynomax super turbo, welded the stock muffler back in after the first long trip. Too old for the hum. Can't honestly say I got any different mileage going back to stock, nor any difference in performance, other than my up-graded speakers do seem to perform better with the stock muffler. Mine will never be on a dyno so I'll never know.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
Drop in AFE-dryS on mine, had a dynomax super turbo, welded the stock muffler back in after the first long trip. Too old for the hum. Can't honestly say I got any different mileage going back to stock, nor any difference in performance, other than my up-graded speakers do seem to perform better with the stock muffler. Mine will never be on a dyno so I'll never know.
wow...someone older than me on here...dont you find it hard getting your walker into the cab of the truck? I do...LOL
yeah, I understand why these guys do the mufflers but the highway drone is NOT acceptable for my ear. What speakers did you do??
-Ken
Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #31
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
wow...someone older than me on here...dont you find it hard getting your walker into the cab of the truck? I do...LOL
yeah, I understand why these guys do the mufflers but the highway drone is NOT acceptable for my ear. What speakers did you do??
-Ken
Yea the walkers a bitch. Stereo changes were only speakers which are Pioneer TS-A6972R (6X9) in the front and TS-A1672R (6.5) in the back, and left stock tweeters in the loop. Left the stock head unit with the six disk and steering wheel controls intact. It works for me. 20 years ago I'd have had a component system. Used the Taco Tunes spacer mounts and kit. To costly in my opinion. Just get you some 1" composite board and use your stock speakers as a pattern for drilling the holes to mount the spacers to the doors and screws to mount the new speakers to those. Bolts and such from Lowes for a lot less $. Speaker harnesses from Best Buy for $6 a pop, if you don't want to cut and splice, as I recall. Great write up on speaker install by Maverick 491.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ccess-cab.html
Old 10-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
Yea the walkers a bitch. Stereo changes were only speakers which are Pioneer TS-A6972R (6X9) in the front and TS-A1672R (6.5) in the back, and left stock tweeters in the loop. Left the stock head unit with the six disk and steering wheel controls intact. It works for me. 20 years ago I'd have had a component system. Used the Taco Tunes spacer mounts and kit. To costly in my opinion. Just get you some 1" composite board and use your stock speakers for drilling the holes to mount the spacers to the doors and screws to mount the new speakers to those. Bolts and such from Lowes for a lot less $. Speaker harnesses from Best Buy for $6 a pop, if you don't want to cut and splice, as I recall. Great write up on speaker install by Maverick 491.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ccess-cab.html
have an amp or using the 20watts from head unit?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #33

Quote:
have an amp or using the 20watts from head unit?
No amp just the speakers. Never get it over 30 on the volume. Lots better on the bass and highs, and plenty loud for me. The stock speakers have a magnet about the size of a quarter and plastic housing with paper cones. I'm still a head banger of sorts.