Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

2.5" Custom Catbacks/Piping, whose got em?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
2.5" Custom Catbacks/Piping, whose got em?

I'm looking into LCE pro flow kit with the 2.5" piping and magnaflow muffler for the 2nd gen 4.0l (getting one in the near future ). And their catback is def the cheapest i can find at 400 bucks but it still seems like it would be cheaper to get just the muffler from them for 90 bucks and then get an exhaust shop to fab up the 2.5" catback. So my question is to all of you that have 2.5" piping that was custom done, how much was it? Also, did they have to use some sort of adapter to pair the new piping with the 2.25" y pipe?

Or would it just be best to get a 2.25" in and 2.5" out? since then that would def be cheaper and no worries about pairing it with the cat
Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I had a complete custom exhaust run from the catback. They ran all new 2.5 in piping after the cat all the way to the tail. I'm running an AeroTurbine with stainless tips. I pretty much just bought all the parts to them and they supplied the piping and did the install. If I remember the cost was about just under $200 for 2.5 in piping, adapter, hangars, and installed. The tips and the AT muffler cost me around $185 purchased online. Couldn't be happier...

Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Perfect thanks man. thats exactly what i'm looking to do, so it would be slightly cheaper since the muffler is $90 and a $50 tip along with the price of piping and install
Old 05-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would advise against that large. Too much backpressure loss to gain anything in the low end. I would say Yes if your planning to keep rpms high all the time.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
2.5 is the most I'd go remember our trucks aren't pushing large HP numbers so 2.5 frees up just enough room to help the exhaust gases exit more so than stock, but not so much that it affects the backpressure in the system.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
interesting, chris4x4 stated that thats the size he saw the most gains with...
4 cylinder or V6?

What kind of gains? Ya you can get some awesome gains in a part of your power band you are never going to drive in...

I have Doug Thorley header and the Jardine 2.25" cat-back exhaust and have tried to get rid of it. I do not like it compared to when I was just running the header. I felt a huge improvement over stock with the header which all got dissipated by my seat of the pants feel after installing the cat-back. I felt like my low end did not start until much higher in the RPM band. Thats just my personal experience with it.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #8

are you saying you have a 2.5" CB? b/c 2.25" is the stock size anyways. I'm talking V6 and LCE has the pro flow kit for the 4 cyl at the same stock size of 2.25" prob for exactly that reason ur stating
Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
laugh all you guys want but i had a 2.5" catback with flowmaster 40 on my 99 2.5l 99 mazda and gas mileage went up, so id imagine it does wonders for v6 yotas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwwj548O-ok
Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
are you saying you have a 2.5" CB? b/c 2.25" is the stock size anyways. I'm talking V6 and LCE has the pro flow kit for the 4 cyl at the same stock size of 2.25" prob for exactly that reason ur stating
Ya sorry, I thought you had a 4 banger cause thats what it says under your avatar. If you have a v6 then I say 2.5" would be perfect.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
I would advise against that large. Too much backpressure loss to gain anything in the low end. I would say Yes if your planning to keep rpms high all the time.
Back pressure is bad, regardless of size. Stock exhaust systems are engineered to have almost no back pressue. "Back pressure" would = restriction, and kill the volumetric efficency of the engine. Now....When dealing with exhaust systems, Scavenging is what you dont want to fuck with. Unless you time the engine accordingly. Read this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ine-basic.html
Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
Almost there

Sorry, got the terminology mixed up.

Chris to the rescue!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
Almost there

CHRIS I thought some backpressure was needed for when valve overlap on the intake stroke happens..
Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
CHRIS I thought some backpressure was needed for when valve overlap on the intake stroke happens..
Did you read teh link I posted?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #15

well i figure there has to be something to the stock size for toyota to make it that way. Just gonna throw on a 14 inch magnaflow like the one on my 4 banger and have a tip welded on (maybe piping position/hangers changed a little bit for aesthetics). Honestly with the intake and magnaflow muffler, my 4 banger sounds pretty good and surprisingly deep. So i figure it will sound even better with the larger engine of the 4.0. Just no intake this time, waste of money for sound when i can get the same performance for 1/6 of the price with a pro dry s drop in and sec. filter removal...