Notices

cam and nitrous question

Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
go big or go home
tacoman316 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Machinery technicion 3rd class
tacoman316's Tacoma Gallery
cam and nitrous question

iv got a couple of questions. Does anybody out there make a performance camshaft for the 4.0 v6. and where can i get one. and also is anyone out there running nitrous and if so what system and how big of a shot I was wanting a safe maybe 40 or 50 shot. Would that hurt my engine and would it be safe setup.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Nitrous is never good you will be rebuilding your engine often. although its cheaper than a supercharger still wouldnt put that in my truck. As far as cams i will look around to see if there is one.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
I have really been thinking about this. Is there a hp gain?... Sorry if that is a stupid question
Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
I have really been thinking about this. Is there a hp gain?... Sorry if that is a stupid question
isn't that the only reason to mess with the engine?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
In what the Cam yes and nitrous double yes but only when you hit the nitrous.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
With the right cam there is usually hp gain but also a different set of heads to go with it.

as for the 4.0 i think cams is the more important word i do believe were are duel over head cams and that would be 4 cams to replace.

Nitrous in the right amount and with the right spark plug you wont hurt anything there are some v8s been running it for years. now if you put like a 200 shot and run it at every stop light kiss that engine good bye.

but you said a 40-50 shot shouldnt hurt but the only way i would run that is if i had a x-runner and went to the track a lot. just to much to get properlly set up just for fun.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Camshaft... I was thinking about getting a new camshaft but I have heard it is very expensive. I am not a big fan of nitrous.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
As of right now there is no aftermarket camshafts available for the 1GR. A new set of cams would open up quite a bit of power in these trucks. The heads flow more then fine to support cams with a slightly longer duration.

I believe the stock duration on our cams is around 160-ish.. A 210* would be KILLER, and would be fine for our stock heads.

As far as nitrous is concerned, as long as you set it up correctly, and have it tuned responsible with a good fuel management tool, it is perfectly safe. The issue with nitrous is too many people have ran it carelessly and have destroyed their vehicles.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
notbrigum will become famous soon enough

notbrigum's Tacoma Gallery
Nitrous

Agreed, done properly, it's a gas! I have it on my Supra. Just 50hp. Nothing close to stupid. It's only on WOT. Supposedly.. any motor should be capable of taking bursts of no more than 50% of its rated max. A 50hp shot on my Supra is 20-25% max. Very safe. A few years and no probs. You should have an intake and exhaust done too. These V6s are what, ~230hp? A 40-50 hp shot should be fine. Not a hard install at all. The trickiest part is tapping into the fuel line safely and in a location that makes good sense.
Agreed, done wrong and kiss your motor goodbye.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
If tuned correctly... nitrous will NOT hurt your motor. Know alot of guys that spray large shots with a nitrous tune. No problems with motors.... a few tranny problems tho haha.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
NOS is good. when does safe and right...

40 to 50 shop with the right heat range spark plugs is great.
going 75 to 100 things get iffy.. but can be done if you can add the right amount of extra fuel and a good knock sencer...

Just find a good tuner shop to help. 1 with results and a good client base...
Old 11-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
notbrigum will become famous soon enough

notbrigum's Tacoma Gallery
WOT switch

OK, in the last few days I've discoverd (what most may have known, but hey, I've had my truck for ~6 weeks) that these things have a fly by wire throttle. Regarding the addition of nitrous, the EASY way to turn it on is to use a micro switch on the throttle linkage so that under WOT the switch is closed and the solenoids are turned on. With this fly by wire throttle, how do you get a WOT signal? There must be some REASONABLE way of getting it or can it only be done these days by using some kind of piggyback computer system? Just seems like a huge waste, to design a computer to detect WOT. Comments?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
As of right now there is no aftermarket camshafts available for the 1GR. A new set of cams would open up quite a bit of power in these trucks. The heads flow more then fine to support cams with a slightly longer duration.

you know if anyone has ported out the heads on these engines?>
Old 11-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
you know if anyone has ported out the heads on these engines?>
Stock heads flow well enough where it hasn't been needed. And I now retract my prev statement about the cams... they are now available.

Brand new!! http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=20546