1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SCAN GAUGE VS ULTRA GAUGE

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by WCJR, May 15, 2011.

1. Mar 28, 2015 at 7:56 PM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    It's easy. You zero the gauge mileage and gas used. First drive a known distance. The ug will pull the mileage from the computer. Then you can edit that mileage with the actual mileage. This corrects the mileage driven and speedometer readout on the ug. Then when you fill up add the gallons used from the readout on the pump. It's best to do that for a few fillups. Those 2 things will calibrate mileage, speedometer, and gas used/ distance to empty

2. Mar 29, 2015 at 7:16 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    ^ that is pretty much it. The instruction manual is clear on this too. I adjust my gallons frequently but I'm really OCD about that. Don't know why. Nothing is 100% perfect spot on accurate. I plan to recalculate my distance in the near future since I live in an area with straighter and less travelled roads vs when I first got the UG. However I have it pretty close now compared to other vehicles and the road side speed signs which dipslay your speed.

3. Mar 29, 2015 at 7:27 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Okay, I have been trying to find this over the interweb and I just want to ensure that I have this correct.

Ultragauge and scangauge are pretty much the same except for 2 major differences. One is that that the SCG can monitor trans temperature where the ULG cannot. Second, the price ULG being much cheaper.

I also read somewhere that ULG is working on figuring out Trans temp, anyone have any follow up on that? There site made it seem like it was hit and miss. All the threads on it, are either old and not updated are just simply state the differences I pointed out.

Really want to be able to measure everything and trans temp, but the large difference in price is pretty hard to swallow. The phone apps that are available are cheaper but I cannot use those, do to other needs that my phone may be used for while driving (GPS, dash cam, etc.)

Any insight/help is appreciated.

4. Mar 29, 2015 at 7:40 AM
    mlbdriver

mlbdriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    Go Fast Camper ARB Dual Air-Compressor Pro-Comp 7089 17x8 BFG AT KO2 265x70x17
    Thanks justus

5. Mar 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Cool, thanks much. I agree it's not gonna be 100% but mine is about 2 miles over what my manual calc is

6. Mar 30, 2015 at 5:40 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
  7. Mar 30, 2015 at 8:38 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    IIRC the new UG does trans temp

8. Mar 30, 2015 at 8:40 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. May 8, 2015 at 5:05 AM
    JimNH

JimNH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    2009 White Dbl Cab, SR5, Tow Pkg, 138K and counting
    Kenwood bluetooth double din head unit trailer brake controller K-Z sportsmen classic 16RBT travel trailer!
    I just ordered an Ultra Gauge MX - which now monitors transmission temps. It's more $$ thoughk, so closer in price to the Scan Gauge II. I paid $103 with shipping and window mount bracket included. I like the larger display and multi-line display on the UG better though.

I have a new to me old tacoma, and will be towing - so want to monitor transmission and engine temp, but I really hate it that Toyota doesn't have Distance To Empty even on their higher end trucks, and this fixes that! Worth it to me for that alone!

I initially ordered the wrong unit (the older EM 1.2) before discovering that the MX is required to monitor transmission temp. Via email, I was able to easily cancel my order and re-order with no issues...the people at UG seem very easy to deal with.

I'll report back if there are any issues, but I expect that I will pretty much have the same experience that a lot of others here have already explained.

10. May 8, 2015 at 9:58 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Okay thanks for the update. I'll wait to see how people like it

11. May 8, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I had an UG in my first Outback and liked it a lot. For some reason it made my second Outback go nuts--threw CEL codes and such when I plugged it in. I gave it away to a friend who is still using it and it doesn't have a problem for them.

I miss it. Some day when I'm feeling less cheap I'll order one for my truck.

12. May 8, 2015 at 5:31 PM
    JimNH

JimNH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Nashua, NH
    Vehicle:
    2009 White Dbl Cab, SR5, Tow Pkg, 138K and counting
    Kenwood bluetooth double din head unit trailer brake controller K-Z sportsmen classic 16RBT travel trailer!
    I should have it on Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll try it out before I pick up my trailer and get it all programmed...can't wait to play with my new toy.

13. Jul 20, 2015 at 8:22 PM
    TacoDan723

TacoDan723 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Tacoma Limited
    Any updates on the UG MX? Interested...

14. Jun 29, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    I was just about to order the new MX but the site says they are all out of stock.

I have one of the the original UG's but I wan to monitor my trans temps as well.

I see that Amazon had the SG for about $100, but I don't like that it only shows 4 gauges. Does it have miles to empty like the UG? Does the trans temp measure the pan?

15. Oct 6, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    TacoTexas Ed

TacoTexas Ed Active Member

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma, Texas Edition
    On my 2011 I just added the A-pillar mod for my iphone so I have navigation etc. right there.
    My question is, if I get an UG, can I toggle between the UG and navigation? In other words, will the gauges keep the trip data if I toggle between phone, nav and UG?

16. Nov 5, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    equalme

equalme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, KS
    Vehicle:
    GX470
    Had a scangauge years ago. Now have the UG and it's so much better. Small form factor, backlit screen, and large display.

Keep on Truckin' and Hawk373 like this.
  17. Feb 14, 2018 at 3:26 PM
    Jackstraw13

Jackstraw13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Doublecab 4X4 TRD
    Good advice

Products Discussed in

To Top