Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

SCAN GAUGE VS ULTRA GAUGE

Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
WCJR is on a distinguished road
Name: W
WCJR's Tacoma Gallery
SCAN GAUGE VS ULTRA GAUGE

I WOULD LIKE TO PUT ONE OF THESE MONITORING GAUGES IN MY 09.
THE SCAN GAUGE IS 3 TIMES AS MUCH IN COST AS COMPARED TO THE ULTRA GAUGE. THE ULTRA GAUGE SEEMS VERY EASY TO INSTALL AND MONITORS A GREAT MANY FUNCTIONS.

ANY PROS AND CONS ON THE 2 GAUGES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS
Old 05-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
IM QUITE HAPPY WITH MY ULTRA GAUGE. FROM WHAT I CAN TELL, THEY BOTH DO THE SAME THINGS.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I AM GLAD I DID NOT SPEND 3 TIMES AS MUCH ON A SCAN GAUGE. MY ULTRA GAUGE WORKS WELL FOR MY NEEDS AND I ENJOY HAVING IT IN MY TRUCK.

YOU'RE WELCOME FOR FEEDBACK.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Ultra gauge FTW
Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
skeeert
CopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kins
CopyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I love my ultragauge. Incredibly useful tool for the price.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
what do these really do for you guys? i have read a little about them and see that they monitor MPG but what else do they do? can they be programmed for better performance ? my brother put a COBB AccessPort on his WRX and it worked good.. i assume these are not alike?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
storktaylor is on a distinguished road

Marines:
storktaylor's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly how did you get the update? I just checked the website and there is nothing about an update. Did you find an X-gauge command for this that actually works?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
what do these really do for you guys? i have read a little about them and see that they monitor MPG but what else do they do? can they be programmed for better performance ? my brother put a COBB AccessPort on his WRX and it worked good.. i assume these are not alike?
Your truck monitors a lot of random stuff but it doesn't display it. the Ultragauge just provide a read out of what the truck already monitors. I bought mine mainly for fuel economy so I could change my driving habits but it monitors other stuff like intake temp, engine temp (haven't used it for much else). You can also set alarms on it so it'll start beeping when you hit one of the set points like mileage for an oil change, engine temp too high, remaining fuel too low, etc. It does not alter or have the ability to alter anything within your truck's CPU to enhance performance.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Your truck monitors a lot of random stuff but it doesn't display it. the Ultragauge just provide a read out of what the truck already monitors. I bought mine mainly for fuel economy so I could change my driving habits but it monitors other stuff like intake temp, engine temp (haven't used it for much else). You can also set alarms on it so it'll start beeping when you hit one of the set points like mileage for an oil change, engine temp too high, remaining fuel too low, etc. It does not alter or have the ability to alter anything within your truck's CPU to enhance performance.

thank you sir
Old 05-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have had both. The UG does the same thing as the SG but it has alarms. The only advantages to the SG is that is can refresh the data faster than the UG can and also you can detach the cable from the SG. Lastly you can select the screen color on the SG but you can't on the UG.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
From Ultra-gauge.com. Here's what it monitors (it depends on if you're truck's CPU is already monitoring these functions). It also can read engine codes.

Potential available gauges include:
  • % Engine Load
  • Engine Coolant Temperature (F)
  • Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
  • Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
  • Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2
  • Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2
  • Fuel Pressure (PSI)
  • Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (PSI)
  • RPM
  • MPH
  • Timing Advance
  • Intake Air Temperature (F)
  • Mass Air Flow Sensor 1 (g/s)
  • Absolute Throttle Position 1 %
  • Bank 1 0xygen Sensor 1 Voltage
  • Bank 1 0xygen Sensor 2 Voltage
  • Bank 1 0xygen Sensor 3 Voltage
  • Bank 1 0xygen Sensor 4 Voltage
  • Bank 2 0xygen Sensor 1 Voltage
  • Bank 2 0xygen Sensor 2 Voltage
  • Bank 2 0xygen Sensor 3 Voltage
  • Bank 2 0xygen Sensor 4 Voltage
  • Run time since last Start (hours:mins)
  • Distance traveled with Check Engine Light On.
  • Fuel Pressure (Diesel)
  • Bank 1 Wide 0xygen Sensor 1 Lambda
  • Bank 1 Wide 0xygen Sensor 2 Lambda
  • Bank 1 Wide 0xygen Sensor 3 Lambda
  • Bank 1 Wide 0xygen Sensor 4 Lambda
  • Bank 2 Wide 0xygen Sensor 1 Lambda
  • Bank 2 Wide 0xygen Sensor 2 Lambda
  • Bank 2 Wide 0xygen Sensor 3 Lambda
  • Bank 2 Wide 0xygen Sensor 4 Lambda
  • EGR Flow %
  • EGR Flow % Error
  • Evaporative Purge %
  • Fuel Level % of full
  • Number of Warm-ups since Check Engine Light Cleared
  • Distance traveled since Check Engine Light Cleared
  • Evaporative System (PSI)
  • Barometric Pressure Inches of Mercury (inHg)
  • Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 Temperature (F)
  • Catalytic Converter Bank 2 Sensor 1 Temperature (F)
  • Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 2 Temperature (F)
  • Catalytic Converter Bank 2 Sensor 2 Temperature (F)
  • Battery Voltage
  • Relative Throttle Position %
  • Outside Ambient Air Temperature (F)
  • Absolute Throttle Position 2 %
  • Accelerator Pedal Position 1 %
  • Accelerator Pedal Position 2 %
  • Command Throttle Position %
  • Engine Oil Temperature (F)
  • Mass Air Flow Sensor 2 Calculated
  • Instantaneous MPG
  • Average MPG General
  • Average MPH General
  • Run Time General
  • Distance General (miles)
  • Fuel Used General (Gallons)
  • Average Gallons/Hour - General
  • Fuel Level
  • Instantaneous Gallons/hour
  • Distance to Empty (miles)
  • Time to Empty
  • Volumetric Efficiency (MAP vehicles only)
  • Average MPH Trip
  • Average MPG Trip
  • Fuel Used Trip (Gallons)
  • Gallons per Hour (GPH) Trip (Gallons)
  • Run Time Trip (Hours:Minutes)
  • Distance -Trip (miles)
  • Oil Change Distance (miles)
  • Service Distance (miles)
  • UltraGauge Internal Temperature (F)
Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Bump.

I'm also curious about the differences between these, and users' experiences with one or both.

As of right now, I'm leaning more towards the Ultragauge mostly for the cost. But I do like that the Scangauge2 monitors transmission temp, and it is detatchable from the cord for multiple vehicles. But I'm not sure just those pros are worth more than twice the cost ofthe Ultragauge.

Also, I haven't looked closely enough, but do either or both of these display in metric units?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Ultra gauge does metric.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't had an UG. Friends and X do. I have the SGII. All I know that is an important difference, is that if there is something you want to display on the SGII, that isn't one of the presets, then you just enter the command/s. If the UG doesn't have it on there, last I heard, you could not update it, without getting a new gauge that has it. Plus the UG mount isn't very useful.