Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Catalytic Converter thefts

Old 10-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
rwcfrank is a jewel in the roughrwcfrank is a jewel in the roughrwcfrank is a jewel in the rough
rwcfrank's Tacoma Gallery
Catalytic Converter thefts

Hers in the SF Bay Area Toyota's, mostly trucks and four runners have been targeted for catalytic converter thefts. The converters are worth about $75 a piece in scrap because of the platinum inside. The crooks like Toys because they are high off the ground and it's easy to get to the converter. A cordless Sawzall is the tool of choice. The reason I mention this is to see if anyone has a good idea to protect the coverters from removal. I plan to try and build a skid plate to cover the converter. I suppose if I go out to my new truck and see some legs sticking out from underneath I could quietly get insdie and speed off
Old 10-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcfrank View Post
I suppose if I go out to my new truck and see some legs sticking out from underneath I could quietly get insdie and speed off
I would just open my back door grab my bat and go to swinging .
Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
better hope the thief doesn't cut your bat with his sawzall
Old 10-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a thread with photos of someones home-made "theft deterrent"

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...cat-theft.html
Old 10-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Primer88 is on a distinguished road
Primer88's Tacoma Gallery
my friend in CT had his cats stolen a couple months ago. he bought replacements and the check engine light came on.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
ryanyoshi is on a distinguished road
ryanyoshi's Tacoma Gallery
My cat was recently stolen. I just replaced it with a OBD-II magnaflow. It was a whole lot cheaper than factory. I don't think they will still this one since it contains no precious metals in it. Also, I intalled the URD O2 simulator to resolve my check engine light and it worked like a charm.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
When I lifted my truck, my nieghbor came up and said, if I did this, it made theft of that cat easier.

He said all his cats were stolen from all his Toyotas.

He then suggested going to a muffler shop and getting a tack weld on the cat, which I did.

If it gets stolen, no prob. I'll opt for the high flow cat.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Some places are painting them and engraving numbers on them to prevent the sale of them, scrap yards are also not accepting them anymore, I tried to sell some i replaced at work and they wouldnt take them theres goes my lunch money haha
Old 01-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
hsc001 will become famous soon enoughhsc001 will become famous soon enough

hsc001's Tacoma Gallery
we have a small problem like that in MD. People were going around stealing cats from work trucks and stuff. Some dumb asses went to carmax toyota and stole resonators or something. Guess they didnt know how cats looked like.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsc001 View Post
we have a small problem like that in MD. People were going around stealing cats from work trucks and stuff. Some dumb asses went to carmax toyota and stole resonators or something. Guess they didnt know how cats looked like.
hahahha. thats what im scared about. last thing i need is a crack head mistaking my resonators as cats and stealing them!!
Old 01-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
hsc001 will become famous soon enoughhsc001 will become famous soon enough

hsc001's Tacoma Gallery
lol hell yeah, dumbasses. I dont even think there worth as much as they use to be. hell copper went down a lot since the economy started nosie diving.