Notices

supercharger questions

Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
PVT Clark is on a distinguished road
Army: firefighter, private first class (E3), 463rd engineering detachment
Name: chase
PVT Clark's Tacoma Gallery
supercharger questions

recently came into some money and plan on buying a supercharger. but i have a few questions....but first here the picture. my truck is a 2007 4.0 v6 sr5 with 106,000 miles, engine is pretty strong, i do regular maintenance with royal purple or other higher class oils. changed my own spark plugs at 90,000. i was wondering if the s/c will prove too strong for my engine, or prematurely wear it out, twist my axle, mess up my differential, or anything really. is there anything i should beef up on my truck? gears? i also have a cold air intake and true dual exhaust with a non chambered resonator. please give me some cons and pros of the s/c and things i should be aware of
Old 05-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Truck will be fine.

The true duals are a waste.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
toytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to beholdtoytaco1 is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: Aerial Porter 56th APS
Name: jed
toytaco1's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck will be fine I have one and runs just fine. As long as your not boosting 20 psi it will last for a long time.
The gas mileage will remain the same as long as you keep your lead foot off of the pedal.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
a waste? how so. i mean in respect to power, i know they do nothing. but i like the way they sound as opposed to a y or h pipe
Old 05-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
is there anything i need to buy in addition to the s/c unit? i plan on getting it on ebay...
Old 05-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVT Clark View Post
a waste? how so. i mean in respect to power, i know they do nothing. but i like the way they sound as opposed to a y or h pipe
There ya go. Actually doing that probably lost you power.

Anyway you will be fine using a blower.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
you dont think they help the truck breathe easier? or did i ruin the back pressure...
Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
i also plan on putting it in myself..i know i have to go to a dealer to get it reflashed, but other than that is it easy to DIY?
Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Banned
If you don't have cats you hurt exhaust scavenging at low RPM. A small displacement V6 doesn't need true duals though. The restriction is at the head not the exhaust or intake. After the SC install you might gain a bit more over a blown V6 with the standard exhaust but still you are limited by the heads.

The install does not look hard. If you have warranty, having the dealer do the install will keep the warranty intact.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
much appreciated
Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
i wasnt gonna say anything.... lol
Old 05-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
mmallin99 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
mmallin99's Tacoma Gallery
after you install it, put some money aside for your speeding tickets. lol

i just put one on a 2011 4.0L. they are awesome and they are right, if you keep your lead foot off the gas pedal you will get decent gas mileage. im running stock intake and exhaust. thinking about changing both, but dont want to void the warranty. may wait
Old 05-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
I would put an intake on with it ( TRD or AFE). And opening the exhaust a bit will give you a little benefit, but you can go to big.

I run DTLT and the URD 3" catback and it works very well, but I also run the APR X-1 which uses a different exhaust cam gear to help it breath a little better.

Have fun with it.

Hit up URD for some other upgrades.

As far as reliability, you will be fine, just keep taking care of it

oh and if you want to make it all pretty, you can PC the valve covers and change the VC gaskets, your are 90% to pulling them off anyway.

Justin
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
408 TACO
TKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTKOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zik
TKOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toytaco1 View Post
Your truck will be fine I have one and runs just fine. As long as your not boosting 20 psi it will last for a long time.
The gas mileage will remain the same as long as you keep your lead foot off of the pedal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmallin99 View Post
after you install it, put some money aside for your speeding tickets. lol

i just put one on a 2011 4.0L. they are awesome and they are right, if you keep your lead foot off the gas pedal you will get decent gas mileage. im running stock intake and exhaust. thinking about changing both, but dont want to void the warranty. may wait
Hey guys, i've been thnking about putting a SC in my truck too. I just dnt want to pay more than i have to for the parts and installation. Do you guys mind telling me how much you paid for part and labor. I asked my local dealership and they charge me $6,000 parts and labor. Thanks for any advice.