1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cat back opinions?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by diver john, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Oct 6, 2008 at 5:55 PM
    diver john

diver john [OP] Member

Member:
    Gloucester MA
    Vehicle:
    03 DBL cab TRD
    Volant intake, JBA headers,1st, cat MIA, Gigson cat back, Sprayed Bedliner, Eclipse6620, Sunroof, Toyo open countries, Full OME suspension, ARB front bumper, CBI off road rear bumper, yakima racks
    My next mod will be a cat back. I am however torn between Gibson and Borla. I'm not in it to make noise. Just looking to improve power and efficiency. I did the 71' firebird with glasspacks and no tailpipes thing in the 80's. There seems to be a big difference in price, but are Borlas worth it?

2. Oct 6, 2008 at 6:02 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to Tacoma World!!
    Any cat back is only going to give you about 5 or so extra h.p. Search out and listen to some sound clips and get the ones you like. GL. :)

3. Oct 6, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    Ken Dawg

Ken Dawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    EAST COAST
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD Sport LB
    Tranny rebuilt 12/2016 at 142,500 Pioneer deh-p400ub head unit Alpine spr-69c fronts Alpine 17c rears. Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp JL sub behind seat Upper console solder fix Recall: Rear leaf's 12/2016 To Do List: JVC KW-V820BT with Backup cam Zelwig Helper Spring Clazzio Dark Gray seat covers /heat Viper alarm w/ Starter Then drive to 250,000 miles!

stay stock......throw that money into stockmarket

4. Oct 6, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i would skip on a full catback and buy the muffler i wanted and get a shop to cut the stock one out and weld the new one in..........they are essentially the same, but alot cheaper to buy just a muffler and have it installed.

5. Oct 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM
    diver john

diver john [OP] Member

Member:
    Gloucester MA
    Vehicle:
    03 DBL cab TRD
    Volant intake, JBA headers,1st, cat MIA, Gigson cat back, Sprayed Bedliner, Eclipse6620, Sunroof, Toyo open countries, Full OME suspension, ARB front bumper, CBI off road rear bumper, yakima racks
    Thanks, I just don't want to listen to them all day. I had a 90' trooper with Calmini headers and borla exhaust for 9 years. But the trooper was so poorly insulated to begin with it didn't matter. As far as the power gain goes I'm not expecting much but since I've already done the headers, and lost a cat I figure I might as well complete the exhaust.

6. Oct 7, 2008 at 3:53 PM
    tacoman316

tacoman316 go big or go home

Member:
    Mobile AL
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Prerunner
    K&N drop in filter, Banks monster exhaust
    ive got a banks monster exhaust and i love it its a 3" with a 4" tip i lost a little low end and gained a little top end but all and all I really like the sound. looks good to and comes with a lifetime warranty. I would post a soundclip but i am out of state.

7. Oct 7, 2008 at 6:47 PM
    05DoubleTaco

05DoubleTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2005 Lifted DoubleCab
    3" Toytec Lift, 285/75/16 Cooper STT, Moto Metal 951 Wheels, Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N Intake, URD MAF & Tune, Full Stereo w/ Marv Custom Box
    I love my Magnaflow setup.

I've had Gibson, and hated it. It sounded deeper, but it wasn't a great performance sound. Regardless, it was the longevity of the Gibson that lacked. After 1.5years it had rust holes throughout.

I have a custom Magnaflow dual exit setup now, and I am enjoying it.

8. Oct 7, 2008 at 6:51 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    ive got a jardine catback from urdusa.com. i like it. it gets kinda raspy on loud take offs though. kinda have to keep it down when running my engine.

9. Oct 8, 2008 at 4:08 PM
    diver john

diver john [OP] Member

Member:
    Gloucester MA
    Vehicle:
    03 DBL cab TRD
    Double, was that one of their stainless mufflers?. I spoke with one of their reps a couple of days ago. There is a good difference in price between Stainless and alumized. I had not heard of Jardine are they quiet? or quieter? I may suck it up and go with borla yet.

10. Oct 8, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    05DoubleTaco

05DoubleTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2005 Lifted DoubleCab
    3" Toytec Lift, 285/75/16 Cooper STT, Moto Metal 951 Wheels, Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N Intake, URD MAF & Tune, Full Stereo w/ Marv Custom Box

Mine was not Stainless.

Don't go with Borla, that stuff is way overpriced.

Why not a Magnaflow catback? Seems to be the most popular these days. I like mine!

11. Oct 8, 2008 at 6:19 PM
    diver john

diver john [OP] Member

Member:
    Gloucester MA
    Vehicle:
    03 DBL cab TRD
    Like I said I'm looking for the power, and economy. I dont want the noise. It seems (and I may be way off base) that most folks who are shopping for exhaust are looking for tone and noise as much as perfomance. Been there done that. It seems that the only mfgrs touting how quiet they are in cab are Gibson and Borla. Thats the only reason they've been at the top of my list. I know Borla is expensive, but after the headers I'm kinda already in for the penny.

12. Oct 8, 2008 at 6:21 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you can always buy a pretty long magnaflow muffler(quiet, but still have performance) and have it welded in. and it'd be alot cheaper than a full catback system.

13. Nov 4, 2008 at 12:20 PM
    perniva1978

perniva1978 Active Member

Member:
    Fort Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 Double Cab
    Bridgetone Dueler Alenza
    I used to have an 02 4WD TRD V6 extracab and cat-back exchange from stock to Gibson. It was awesome since the truck was manual 5 speed. The noise was not bad at all and on the highway it's quiet compared to like a Ford Mustang or something like that. In my 04 double-cab with Automatic trans I have not even bothered changing it out...I figure I will now enjoy it as much as I did when I had the 02 manual 5 speed (you can make rev up and make your truck bark this way, ha ha). But Gibson was great on the 02. The quality was awesome. But next time I do buy a muffler it will only be the muffler and not the whole cat back...and yes, I will get the Gibson.

14. Nov 4, 2008 at 12:22 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    Welcome to tm!!!!!! True duals all the way back!!

Products Discussed in

To Top