Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Cat back opinions?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
diver john is on a distinguished road
diver john's Tacoma Gallery
Cat back opinions?

My next mod will be a cat back. I am however torn between Gibson and Borla. I'm not in it to make noise. Just looking to improve power and efficiency. I did the 71' firebird with glasspacks and no tailpipes thing in the 80's. There seems to be a big difference in price, but are Borlas worth it?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver john View Post
My next mod will be a cat back. I am however torn between Gibson and Borla. I'm not in it to make noise. Just looking to improve power and efficiency. I did the 71' firebird with glasspacks and no tailpipes thing in the 80's. There seems to be a big difference in price, but are Borlas worth it?
Welcome to Tacoma World!!
Any cat back is only going to give you about 5 or so extra h.p. Search out and listen to some sound clips and get the ones you like. GL.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Ken Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Ken Dawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

stay stock......throw that money into stockmarket
Old 10-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i would skip on a full catback and buy the muffler i wanted and get a shop to cut the stock one out and weld the new one in..........they are essentially the same, but alot cheaper to buy just a muffler and have it installed.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Thanks, I just don't want to listen to them all day. I had a 90' trooper with Calmini headers and borla exhaust for 9 years. But the trooper was so poorly insulated to begin with it didn't matter. As far as the power gain goes I'm not expecting much but since I've already done the headers, and lost a cat I figure I might as well complete the exhaust.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
go big or go home
tacoman316 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Machinery technicion 3rd class
tacoman316's Tacoma Gallery
ive got a banks monster exhaust and i love it its a 3" with a 4" tip i lost a little low end and gained a little top end but all and all I really like the sound. looks good to and comes with a lifetime warranty. I would post a soundclip but i am out of state.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
05DoubleTaco is on a distinguished road

05DoubleTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Magnaflow setup.

I've had Gibson, and hated it. It sounded deeper, but it wasn't a great performance sound. Regardless, it was the longevity of the Gibson that lacked. After 1.5years it had rust holes throughout.

I have a custom Magnaflow dual exit setup now, and I am enjoying it.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
ive got a jardine catback from urdusa.com. i like it. it gets kinda raspy on loud take offs though. kinda have to keep it down when running my engine.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Double, was that one of their stainless mufflers?. I spoke with one of their reps a couple of days ago. There is a good difference in price between Stainless and alumized. I had not heard of Jardine are they quiet? or quieter? I may suck it up and go with borla yet.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
05DoubleTaco is on a distinguished road

05DoubleTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Double, was that one of their stainless mufflers?. I spoke with one of their reps a couple of days ago. There is a good difference in price between Stainless and alumized. I may suck it up and go with borla yet.

Mine was not Stainless.

Don't go with Borla, that stuff is way overpriced.

Why not a Magnaflow catback? Seems to be the most popular these days. I like mine!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
Like I said I'm looking for the power, and economy. I dont want the noise. It seems (and I may be way off base) that most folks who are shopping for exhaust are looking for tone and noise as much as perfomance. Been there done that. It seems that the only mfgrs touting how quiet they are in cab are Gibson and Borla. Thats the only reason they've been at the top of my list. I know Borla is expensive, but after the headers I'm kinda already in for the penny.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like I said I'm looking for the power, and economy. I dont want the noise. It seems (and I may be way off base) that most folks who are shopping for exhaust are looking for tone and noise as much as perfomance. Been there done that. It seems that the only mfgrs touting how quiet they are in cab are Gibson and Borla. Thats the only reason they've been at the top of my list. I know Borla is expensive, but after the headers I'm kinda already in for the penny.
you can always buy a pretty long magnaflow muffler(quiet, but still have performance) and have it welded in. and it'd be alot cheaper than a full catback system.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
perniva1978 is on a distinguished road
perniva1978's Tacoma Gallery
I used to have an 02 4WD TRD V6 extracab and cat-back exchange from stock to Gibson. It was awesome since the truck was manual 5 speed. The noise was not bad at all and on the highway it's quiet compared to like a Ford Mustang or something like that. In my 04 double-cab with Automatic trans I have not even bothered changing it out...I figure I will now enjoy it as much as I did when I had the 02 manual 5 speed (you can make rev up and make your truck bark this way, ha ha). But Gibson was great on the 02. The quality was awesome. But next time I do buy a muffler it will only be the muffler and not the whole cat back...and yes, I will get the Gibson.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to tm!!!!!! True duals all the way back!!