Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

o2 sensor gas mileage

Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I know the O2 sensor is just there to make sure the more emissions are going into the air that are needed. So I believe it helps relay information for the fuel injectors of the vehicle regarding rich/lean. So yes.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
It will run like crap. The ECU goes to a preset fuel mix. It will run, but will kill the cats.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
When mine went out I got 14 mpg! Just replace it
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Rhino is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
Rhino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
When mine went out I got 14 mpg! Just replace it
thats exactly what im gettin!! ive heard that if i pull it out and wipe the end off it will start working fine again does anybody know if its true? also its my rear sensor thats bad would it still hurt my cats?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
thats exactly what im gettin!! ive heard that if i pull it out and wipe the end off it will start working fine again does anybody know if its true? also its my rear sensor thats bad would it still hurt my cats?
No, that will not help. The rear just monitors the CAT performance. The front O2 (AFR sensor) is what monitors the air to fuel ratio. No, a bad rear O2 won't hurt the CAT. I ran with a bad one on my 98 2.7 for over a year with out a CAT problem.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Rhino is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
Rhino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
No, that will not help. The rear just monitors the CAT performance. The front O2 (AFR sensor) is what monitors the air to fuel ratio. No, a bad rear O2 won't hurt the CAT. I ran with a bad one on my 98 2.7 for over a year with out a CAT problem.
then i'll need to replace both cause the front also went bad and we wiped it off and the check engine light went off so we thought it was fine.. thats what i planned to do to the back but i thought it a little fishy that toyota would let something like that happen
Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Look at Rockauto.com. Get the Denso OEM replacements and use rockauto's member discount to save a few extra pennies. Theier discount code can be found in their vendor section on the site.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Running with a bad o2 means you will be running rich. It will make the cat work harder to burn the extra fuel. It will shorten its life. It can also set your truck on fire, since it will be running hotter than normal.
Don't wait, or try to fix the bad one, replace it.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Running with a bad o2 means you will be running rich. It will make the cat work harder to burn the extra fuel. It will shorten its life. It can also set your truck on fire, since it will be running hotter than normal.
Don't wait, or try to fix the bad one, replace it.
Ive never heard of that setting a vehicle on fire....link to reports?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #11

Parking in grass, fuel leak, undercoating will burn,etc. I don't have any links, just stories from reputable sources, and the knowledge that excess fuel to the cat will burn. It will glow red, and will set flammable things on fire. The degree of danger is directly related to how much extra fuel it's getting.
80's GMC trucks had this problem with the truck running properly. It was a problem with the catalyst type(pellets).
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #12

Info on how a cat works, and fails: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...converters.htm
I'm looking for other causes, but I'm only seeing grass fire hazards, and undercoating fires, so far...
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Parking in grass, fuel leak, undercoating will burn,etc. I don't have any links, just stories from reputable sources, and the knowledge that excess fuel to the cat will burn. It will glow red, and will set flammable things on fire. The degree of danger is directly related to how much extra fuel it's getting.
80's GMC trucks had this problem with the truck running properly. It was a problem with the catalyst type(pellets).
Quote:
Info on how a cat works, and fails: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...converters.htm
I'm looking for other causes, but I'm only seeing grass fire hazards, and undercoating fires, so far...
Im well aware of how they work. Yes, If you drip fuel on them, that CAN cause the truck to burn up, but that wouldnt be something caused from running rich. And they DO get hot. Temps around 1400* during normal driving are normal (on the first set), but there is shielding to prevent anything under the truck catching fire.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Im well aware of how they work. Yes, If you drip fuel on them, that CAN cause the truck to burn up, but that wouldnt be something caused from running rich. And they DO get hot. Temps around 1400* during normal driving are normal (on the first set), but there is shielding to prevent anything under the truck catching fire.
You failed to go to the bottom of the article. Thermal failure from excessive fuel will cause the substrate to melt... This goes well above the normal operating temp. Shielding will only help so much. The heat has to go somewhere. No air circulating after driving, or stuck in traffic, what are the odds of a fire now?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:27 AM   #15

Marines:
Quote:
You failed to go to the bottom of the article. Thermal failure from excessive fuel will cause the substrate to melt... This goes well above the normal operating temp. Shielding will only help so much. The heat has to go somewhere. No air circulating after driving, or stuck in traffic, what are the odds of a fire now?
Still very slim............