Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Better size for muffler inlet/outlet, 2.25" or 2.5"?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Better size for muffler inlet/outlet, 2.25" or 2.5"?

I am getting a universal magnaflow, as I love the one on my 4 banger (it's a 2.25 offset center I believe) but I'm wondering with the v6 if the extra quarter of an inch would be beneficial? Also that maybe the slightly smaller piping of the stock siZe would slide into the muffler a little, making welding easier and eliminating the chance of exhaust leaks, since the past 2 I've just had "welded in" have each had leaks at the welds and ive had to return to get it remedied. Or would it be better to just stick with the stock 2.25" and just have them weld it right up to the pipe?

Btw I'm keeping stock piping, just having it places in there, prob offset in center out as that's what all the catbacks use...
Old 05-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The extra .25" only makes a difference if you are changing the cat back pipe diameter also. And even then, only a couple hp...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So ur saying to just stick with the 2.25? I'm just wondering cuz I see a bunch of ppl on here just went with the 2.5" and didn't know if that would better help prevent leaks at the welds?
Old 06-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Good welding will help with the leaking at the weld issue. If your not changing all the piping to 2.5 there is no point in just the muffler.
Right, that's what I figured. Thanks for the advice