Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Maintenance for older Taco

Old 10-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
bucs1fan is on a distinguished road
bucs1fan's Tacoma Gallery
Maintenance for older Taco

I just bought a 02 double cab 4 cyl. with 72K. Since most of you have had your trucks for awhile, what kind of maintenance or replacements would you do to a truck like this to make sure it's longevity. I changed oil, and replaced air filter with K&N.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
When I purchased my previous Tacoma it was used also. The first thing I did was change the oil (like you) however I also had the cooling system flushed and the tranny serviced as well. The dealership I bought from assured me that the truck was well maintained however could not provide me proof. It was a little unwanted cost upfront after buying the truck, however the peice of mind was worth it.

-Dan
Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
When you say tranny serviced, do you mean replacing the fluid or should I get the whole system flushed out? Cause I'm pretty sure I can replace the fluid my self.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs1fan View Post
When you say tranny serviced, do you mean replacing the fluid or should I get the whole system flushed out? Cause I'm pretty sure I can replace the fluid my self.
You have an Automatic? If YES - than you should have the entire system flushed out. I'm not sure about the tacomas - but automatics usually have speicial filters inside that need changed also.

As for other maintenance.... Change the fluids in the front & rear differentirals, & transfer case. Pull a spark plug and check it.... or just change all the plugs. Check brakes...including drums. A radiator flush (like Jester mentioned already).

You have a timing chain so you don't have to worry about that. The Water pump should be good still for a while.....
Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Ok sounds like the people at the quicky lube where right. I just thought they were trying to up sale. They mentioned everything you did but the spark plugs. Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You have an Automatic? If YES - than you should have the entire system flushed out. I'm not sure about the tacomas - but automatics usually have speicial filters inside that need changed also.

As for other maintenance.... Change the fluids in the front & rear differentirals, & transfer case. Pull a spark plug and check it.... or just change all the plugs. Check brakes...including drums. A radiator flush (like Jester mentioned already).

You have a timing chain so you don't have to worry about that. The Water pump should be good still for a while.....
the 3.4l V6 5VZ engine has a timing belt...not a chain...just FYI

heres how to change it
http://www.toy4x4.net/timing_belt/index.htm
Old 10-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
it's a 2.7
Old 10-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs1fan View Post
it's a 2.7

ha...reading comprehension is NOT my strong suit