Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Header Poll: Short or Long Tube... Lets put it to a vote

View Poll Results: Headers: Short or Long Tube??
Short Tube 11 23.91%
Long Tube 35 76.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Dakota did you ever get my PM the other day?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #22
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
the cats have more impact on the low end (back pressure) than the headers themselves.

On a boosted truck, I would run the LTs to help it breath WOT.

Personally, I dont think the shorties are worth the cash/gain since the restrictive cats are still there and are not long enough for any scavenging improvement.

I originally ran the DTLT on my X-runner since my tune with the URD MKII S/C was too hot and would melt the cats, plus the goal was 400+ rwhp

I run the DTLT on the Dcab with the TRD S/C and it breathes alot better. You will loose a little low end, but you dont notice it with the S/C and you really notice the top end gain. I think they are a tad much for an N/A truck.

Personally, an intake, catback, and rear cat delete and some small calibrator ( MAF cal for example from URD) is the best setup for an N/A truck. Save your money on the headers.

Again, just my opinion, take it as you wish

Justin

Justin
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #23
Dakota 08 is on a distinguished road
Dakota 08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
the cats have more impact on the low end (back pressure) than the headers themselves.

Personally, I dont think the shorties are worth the cash/gain since the restrictive cats are still there and are not long enough for any scavenging improvement.

I originally ran the DTLT on my X-runner since my tune with the URD MKII S/C was too hot and would melt the cats, plus the goal was 400+ rwhp

I run the DTLT on the Dcab with the TRD S/C and it breathes alot better. You will loose a little low end, but you dont notice it with the S/C and you really notice the top end gain. I think they are a tad much for an N/A truck.

Personally, an intake, catback, and rear cat delete and some small calibrator ( MAF cal for example from URD) is the best setup for an N/A truck. Save your money on the headers.

Justin

Justin
Interesting! Help me out on some terminology (I'm a newbie to the exhaust thing). What does "S/C", "N/A", "WOT" and "MAF" stand for?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post

Justin

Justin
Modern cats aren't very restrictive.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I went with Jba shorties because I didn't like the idea of having an o2 sensor faker thing. I noticed that the truck breathes a ton better now and the guy I had weld did an amazing job. The stock exhaust headers suck. They go from an oval shaped 2 1/4" piping to an almost 1 1/2" pipe going into the cat. That is some serious restriction. Now with the new stuff, it's all 2 1/4" pipe. I was going to do a before and after dyno on the truck, but I watched some utube vids of some dynos go seriously wrong. If ya got the money, do the shorts. If not the DT's will be ok with the o2 sensor tricker.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #26
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 08 View Post
Interesting! Help me out on some terminology (I'm a newbie to the exhaust thing). What does "S/C", "N/A", "WOT" and "MAF" stand for?

Supercharged, Naturally asperated, Wide Open Throttle, Mass Air Flow(sensor type)
Old 06-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #27
brent grob is on a distinguished road
Name: Brent
brent grob's Tacoma Gallery
DT Short headers

I went DT short headers and felt the power upgrade but it was pricey to have welded on. If you want to keep your truck smog legal in CA then i think the truck wont pass smog without the 2 cats connected to the old headers. I was lucky enough to find a shop to weld on my old cats to the new headers and so far no check engine light yet. Most shops will not put old cats back on because the shop can be fined $200,000 and be closed down for 30 days. But now all said and done Im happy with the headers and glad i wont have smog issues down the road
Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent grob View Post
I went DT short headers and felt the power upgrade but it was pricey to have welded on. If you want to keep your truck smog legal in CA then i think the truck wont pass smog without the 2 cats connected to the old headers. I was lucky enough to find a shop to weld on my old cats to the new headers and so far no check engine light yet. Most shops will not put old cats back on because the shop can be fined $200,000 and be closed down for 30 days. But now all said and done Im happy with the headers and glad i wont have smog issues down the road
Your truck will NOT be smog legal with short tube headers, just a heads up. The first step in your inspection is a visual. Any modifications to your exhaust system is an automatic failure, you are now up to the inspectors grey area. He/she has the choice to overlook minor modifications or fail you. This is ANOTHER reason to go with LT headers as you can just do a direct replacement at inspections time.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #29
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Modern cats aren't very restrictive.
you are right, but for a high boost application, you need all the flow you can get, and with my previous setup, they wouldnt hold up. ( they are prone to clog and come apart)

I have had both sets of headers, and and my preference ( cash vs gain) goes to the long tubes, and I really dont think either setup is worth it on a N/A truck.

but to each their own.

These trucks like a little back pressure.

If you want to read a little about 4.0L performance, browse over on XRU. Those guys have thrown everything at those trucks with power in mind. There are alot of dyno comparisons.

Justin
Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #30

I don't think OP is planning on FI...I still vote LT

What about cutting the secondary cats out and putting them in the pipe bomb?
Old 06-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
I don't think OP is planning on FI...I still vote LT

What about cutting the secondary cat out and putting them in the pipe bomb?

I didnt think he was, If my truck was N/A I would have saved the cash on the headers, put a nice intake, y-pipe, and catback on it and call it a day

When I first had my X, before I really dove into it. I have stock manifolds, y pipe with no Cats, and URD catback. It had a nice little gain.

i would just take the secondary cats out all together, they are not monitored and will have no impact. Unless you are in CA of course.

Most other states, as long as you have two of them, it will breeze through inspections etc..

Justin
Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #33
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
option for the shorty route for most gains would be shorty headers keeping front cats in and swap out the rear cats for a Pipe-bomb Y-pipe then finish with a cat-back less restrictive exhaust

i like my long tubes but i do wonder whether the shorties really do have low end gains which is where most of the tacos run (except for those x-runners and S/C'd)