Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Header Poll: Short or Long Tube... Lets put it to a vote

View Poll Results: Headers: Short or Long Tube??
Short Tube 11 23.91%
Long Tube 35 76.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Dakota 08 is on a distinguished road
Dakota 08's Tacoma Gallery
Question Header Poll: Short or Long Tube... Lets put it to a vote

Selfishly, I'm looking into investing in headers and I want all of your advice. I'm far from an exhaust expert and only know enough to be dangerous. I'm interested in headers to restore some recently lost power from a small billy lift and slightly larger tires. I've researched that headers are a good way to regain some of that power.

The questions are:

What route do I go, short or long?

Where will these different applications help give or take away power?

Do most people go with long tubes just to avoid the welding required for instal?

What brands/models have been well-performing products?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 08 View Post
The questions are:

What route do I go, short or long?

i suggest long, because the shorts have to be welded on there for causing more pain and money!

Where will these different applications help give or take away power?

i believe one of them gives more low end than the other, i think the shorts have better low end.

Do most people go with long tubes just to avoid the welding required for instal?

yes
What brands/models have been well-performing products?

i suggest doug thorley headers!

^ read bold
Old 06-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
DTLT headers!!!

End thread.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
The problem w/ this thread is that everyone will vote LT solely based on the fact that it is the most commonly used header. There is no solid evidence that one outperforms the other due to the lack of hard data from dyno results (mainly on STs). So, take your poll results w/ a grain of salt.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
The problem w/ this thread is that everyone will vote LT solely based on the fact that it is the most commonly used header. There is no solid evidence that one outperforms the other due to the lack of hard data from dyno results (mainly on STs). So, take your poll results w/ a grain of salt.
Dyno graphs where posted of both. The shorties make more power down low while the long tubes make more power up top.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
TheHansen is on a distinguished road

TheHansen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Dyno graphs where posted of both. The shorties make more power down low while the long tubes make more power up top.
link/repost pics please ... Im interested in seeing this
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHansen View Post
link/repost pics please ... Im interested in seeing this
Dyno for long tubes vs stock.

I made it bigger so it is easier to read.

Edit: Not finding shorty dyno runs. JBA says 25hp and 38tq which I don't believe. Someone have a dyno sheet?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Never seen a short tube dyno posted on the 2nd gen tacoma.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #11

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Edit: Not finding shorty dyno runs. JBA says 25hp and 38tq which I don't believe. Someone have a dyno sheet?
Just saw the edit.

Thats my point though. Only hearsay on the short tubes. No proof one way or another unfortunately.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #12
Quote:
Just saw the edit.

Thats my point though. Only hearsay on the short tubes. No proof one way or another unfortunately.
Damn, thats a bummer. Personally, I would rather have more power and torque on the lower end. Toyota's don't seem to want to run much above 2,000 anyway. Why would I want to go long tube if I'm going to lose low end power. Does anyone out there have any info on power gains or losses in different ends of the range with the short headers? I know you have to weld, but it just doesn't make much sense to bolt on for low end power loss.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Damn, thats a bummer. Personally, I would rather have more power and torque on the lower end. Toyota's don't seem to want to run much above 2,000 anyway. Why would I want to go long tube if I'm going to lose low end power. Does anyone out there have any info on power gains or losses in different ends of the range with the short headers? I know you have to weld, but it just doesn't make much sense to bolt on for low end power loss.
Why do anything at all then?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
mnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Michael
mnudo200827's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Never seen a short tube dyno posted on the 2nd gen tacoma.
aren't you the one that bought both short and long tubes in the group buy and were going to do dyno's for both? Sorry dont want to go look thru that long thread.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #15
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have headers, but it would seem illogical to slap on some long tubes simply because they're an easier install when the dyno sheets above indicate a loss of low end power. Sure they increase top end more than shorties, but I'd rather install a product (more permanently with the shorties) that doesn't have any loss over stock.... Just my 2 cents
Old 06-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
I don't have headers, but it would seem illogical to slap on some long tubes simply because they're an easier install when the dyno sheets above indicate a loss of low end power. Sure they increase top end more than shorties, but I'd rather install a product (more permanently with the shorties) that doesn't have any loss over stock.... Just my 2 cents
That's what I'm trying to say. A comment earlier said "then why do anything." The way I see it, if i'm going to fork over a handful of cash for a product with the intent to upgrade the power of my engine, then thats what i want. Especially when low end power increase seems more practical and more often used anyway. My 2 cents.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what I'm trying to say. A comment earlier said "then why do anything." The way I see it, if i'm going to fork over a handful of cash for a product with the intent to upgrade the power of my engine, then thats what i want. Especially when low end power increase seems more practical and more often used anyway. My 2 cents.
Great minds think a like brother, I say go for the shorties. I believe dt makes short tubes as well as jba maybe do some searching around for those two specific products. It wouldn't be a bad idea to message gadget at urd to get his take on things as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 AM   #18

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
True, but doesnt experience(as you said, "most commonly used header")qualify for hard evidence when asking for opinions?
Not at all. The reason they're the most commonly run header is b/c they're easy to install (and at this point, its just regurgitation from members anyway). Most see it recommended, so others (new members) continue to recommend it, knowing its popular advice to give. Hard evidence would be proof that the LT header is the most power-producing product available for our trucks (when comparing multiple header/dyno sheets)
Anyway, I'm not trying to knock on the LT header, I just hate seeing it be the hands down winner in a poll when it may not be the right product for the OP. If one can interpret a dyno sheet, that should at least give them some type of information as to whether or not its the right product for them. (I just wish there were more manufacturers (and designs for us)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnudo200827 View Post
aren't you the one that bought both short and long tubes in the group buy and were going to do dyno's for both? Sorry dont want to go look thru that long thread.
Yep. have them sitting in my basement still.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
mnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Michael
mnudo200827's Tacoma Gallery
whats taking so long lol, just kidding. I have the shorties and was interested in comparing the two.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #20
Would love to hear some more thoughts/opinions or maybe even a dyno test with short headers. Anybody else out there??