Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

LSD Fluid

Old 10-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
LSD Fluid

What's the best dif fuild for a 2009 Tacoma w/ limited slip differentials? I've read some many mixed opinions on it, and I would like to change it myself when the time comes. I really don't want to take it in every 30k.

Thoughts?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
What's the best dif fuild for a 2009 Tacoma w/ limited slip differentials? I've read some many mixed opinions on it, and I would like to change it myself when the time comes. I really don't want to take it in every 30k.

Thoughts?
from what i have heard.....using mobil1 with the addative already doesnt do too good with the lsd, but i have heard of people using royal purple with out any problems at all. it may be best to stick with the stuff that toyota uses though. you can probably buy the stuff from them, although it may be a bit expensive.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I've read about too many people having problems with synthetic. I'll run au natural oil when I replace mine.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #4
papabear050 will become famous soon enough
papabear050's Tacoma Gallery
Ditto, go synthetic in the front and xfer case. But skip it on the Rear Diff w/ LSD

Get the oem dino oil or whatever non synthetic that is the recommended weight listed in the manual.... don't forget to add the LSD Modifer additive to it as well... then you have no potential of probs. Good luck...

But things may change from now until your 36K, looks like you just got her..... congrats
Old 10-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
I've read about too many people having problems with synthetic. I'll run au natural oil when I replace mine.
Ditto, from now on.
My diff DID NOT LIKE Mobil1.

At all.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 AM   #6
uuc328 is on a distinguished road

uuc328's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone tried RedLine fluid?
i used to run it in my BMW and never had any complaints
Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
what happened when you guys used sythetic? i just changed it out with some lucas 75/90.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard417 View Post
what happened when you guys used sythetic? i just changed it out with some lucas 75/90.
When I switched to Mobil 1, My rear diff chattered, squeeled and groaned everytime I turned.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
hmm. i don't know if i hear that. how long did it take?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #10

Quote:
hmm. i don't know if i hear that. how long did it take?
It happened within a few days of the change. Do you have the LSD rear?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
Yeah
couldn't tell you to be honest.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
couldn't tell you to be honest.
If you dont have an LSD rear, you will be fine useing the Mobil 1 Gear oil. It should have a sticker on the diff that reads "LS oil only"
Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
Yeah
oh.. didn't see that today when i changed it. thanks for the help.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy
Teufel Hunden will become famous soon enoughTeufel Hunden will become famous soon enough

Marines: Sergeant, USMC, last unit: 3rd Batt./4th Mar., 7th Mar. Reg., 1st Mar. Div., Twentynine Palms, CA
Teufel Hunden's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thoughts?
The 2009's no longer have an LSD. The auto-LSD is a hydraulic booster type that is electronically controlled. Here is the link with the info:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...a-changes.html
Therefore, you should have no problem changing to synthetic for both diffs.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After reading about the issues with Mobil1. I decided to use Lucas as well. Since I've changed the Diff Oil, 12K miles later, still no problems with it.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #16
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
The 2009's no longer have an LSD. The auto-LSD is a hydraulic booster type that is electronically controlled. Here is the link with the info:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...a-changes.html
Therefore, you should have no problem changing to synthetic for both diffs.
I'm too ignorant of the mechnics on the LSD vs Auto-LSD. So my 2009 w/ auto-lsd does or does not need limited slip fluids? Could somebody help me out, or point me in the right direction? Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #17
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
from what i have heard.....using mobil1 with the addative already doesnt do too good with the lsd, but i have heard of people using royal purple with out any problems at all. it may be best to stick with the stuff that toyota uses though. you can probably buy the stuff from them, although it may be a bit expensive.
Anybody running amsoil?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #18
No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy
Teufel Hunden will become famous soon enoughTeufel Hunden will become famous soon enough

Marines: Sergeant, USMC, last unit: 3rd Batt./4th Mar., 7th Mar. Reg., 1st Mar. Div., Twentynine Palms, CA
Teufel Hunden's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm too ignorant of the mechnics on the LSD vs Auto-LSD. So my 2009 w/ auto-lsd does or does not need limited slip fluids? Could somebody help me out, or point me in the right direction? Thanks
The 2009 Tacomas no longer use a mechanical LSD, it now uses an electronically controlled LSD. Here is a description of how it works from another website (this is also breifly described on page 176 of your manual):

The Auto LSD achieves the equivalent functions of an LSD (Limited Slip Differential) through the use of the traction control system. For this reason, the contents of brake control are the same between Auto LSD and TRAC. When the driver presses the Auto LSD switch (on our Tocaomas you turn it on by pressing the VSC OFF button), this system achieves the LSD effect by regulating the hydraulic pressure that acts on the drive wheels and controlling the engine output in accordance with the amount of pedal effort applied on the accelerator. The Auto LSD also applies brakes to the drive wheels, and controls the extent of the brake application in order to achieve the function of an LSD. However, it might not be able to achieve this function on a steep incline or on an extremely slippery surface, such as a frozen snow surface.

Therefore, you no longer need special differential fluids with special additives made for a real LSD. I have attached the 2008 and 2009 differential oil specifications that shows the differences in what the 2009 differentials use. The 2008 and earlier required a hypoid gear oil. Whereas the 2009 requires just regular Toyota genuine oil, and if you'll notice, it says "or equivalent". Also, the viscosity is now different for the 2009 models. The new viscosity is supposed to increase MPG. So, as long as you match the oil type and viscosity, you should be fine using another brand, including the synthetics.

I have also attached the part of the manual I referenced above that discusses the Auto-LSD.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2008 Tacoma Diff Oil.pdf (577.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf 2009 Tacoma Diff Oil.pdf (589.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: pdf 2009 Tacoma Driving Systems.pdf (1.04 MB, 98 views)
Old 11-04-2008, 09:10 AM   #19
isusww is on a distinguished road
isusww's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Anybody running amsoil?
I'm going to put it in next week. HERE is what I'm going to use.

THIS might help some of you with LSD problems.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #20

From the pdf that Teufel Hunden posted and the owners manual, the 2009 requires LT APL 75w 85 GL-5 fluids. I guess Toyota put this fluid in the 09s to help with fuel economy, and since there's no real limited slip. It's all computer controlled now.

I am having a heck of a time finding another brand other than toyota that produces this exact weight in oil. I'm sorry but I'm not going to put another weight in run the risk of voiding the warranty. I'll just stick w/ Toyota's brand if I have to.

So far from my research, you almost have to put gear and tranny oil from toyota in these trucks. Am I right or wrong?