Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Grounding Throttlebody?

Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Grounding Throttlebody how to

A friend told me he did this to his mazda 3 after reading about it and said he noticed a significant improvement in throttle response and smoother shifting in his auto transmission.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=8848.1440

Results:
I used 12 guage wire, couldnt find any 10. At any rate, I did this expecting nothing and if something happened I'd be suprised. I was shocked when I noticed that the downshifts were much smoother!

Coasting at 50 and stepping on the pedal used to have a small hesitation as if the truck was saying "I think I can go without downshifting" and then it would realize it couldn't and then it would jump to life and shift to third. After installing the grounding wire there was no hesitation, and it jumps nice and smoothly down through the gears.

I was suprised and if you don't believe me try it!

Writeup:
You will need these tools: a thin 10mm wrench and a 1/4" drive ratchet with 10mm deep socket
Materials: 2 y-connectors and 3ft of wire (I used 12awg)

Remove the two nuts that hold down the engine cover

Locate the throttlebody

Use this bolt to attach the wire to the throttlebody

I used a y-connector because I figured it would be easier to do that than to remove the bolt and use a closed end connector

Then I also used a y-connector for the neg battery teminal

And there you go

Put your engine cover back on and take it for a ride!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I know it's not hard, I was just wondering if anyone had tried it.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
A-dawg, I see ur cornpops and bring drink to the partay
im starting to like this thread!

OP: do it and report back plz
Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Super turbo throttle body powerz.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I think I'm gonna try it. Wanna pass some that popcorn and beverages my way? haha
Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no drinking till after working on truck.
Okay
Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
happyb has a spectacular aura abouthappyb has a spectacular aura about
Name: Brandon
happyb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
for shits and grins I googled tacoma grounding kits.

http://www.racinglab.com/hyper-groun...oyota-028.html

i haz speaker wire....any takers?
i know a few people with grounding kits and they felt/seen a difference made.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyb View Post
i know a few people with grounding kits and they felt/seen a difference made.
Dyno proven or butt dyno proven?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

is our throttle body not grounded to begin with? or is this just to provide a more direct ground?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
So your telling my this stuff gives you more power and MPG?

Bullshit if you ask me.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt a change in power or mpg, but increased throttle response I can believe. Will give it a go in the morning, results to follow.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
How can there be an increase in throttle response?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
BS, coming from a EE, Ground is Ground world round. How can Grounding a piece of aluminum possibly help throttle response? There is air flowing through it, not some cool star trek positively charged ion flux that needs taming. If one of you guys drops $100 dollars on that "grounding kit", your crazy.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #16

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
BS, coming from a EE, Ground is Ground world round. How can Grounding a piece of aluminum possibly help throttle response? There is air flowing through it, not some cool star trek positively charged ion flux that needs taming. If one of you guys drops $100 dollars on that "grounding kit", your crazy.
Thats what I thought! People just come up with scams
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #18
happyb has a spectacular aura abouthappyb has a spectacular aura about
Name: Brandon
happyb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Dyno proven or butt dyno proven?
it was mainly electrical like lights a little brighter and better volatge.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not saying for sure it works but I've got a little bit of 10 guage wire so I'm gonna give it a go. I'm planning on it not working, or doing anything, and if something does happen I will be pleasantly suprised.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
Large "member"

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Results in OP...