Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

How hard is it to make your own CAI?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
How hard is it to make your own CAI?

Ive done a little research, but havent grasped the concept completely, how hard (expensive) would it be to make my own CAI with a quality air filter?
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
never seen one.
on here.
or anywhere.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

like if i just built my own box? i feel like ive seen one on TTORA before but i cant remember
Old 06-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
like if i just built my own box? i feel like ive seen one on TTORA before but i cant remember
post pics when you are done.

no seriously go for it.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You aready have a CAI. That was an easy mod.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Go Pro Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You aready have a CAI. That was an easy mod.
yeah i know theres a stock one, but if i like cut the pipe and re routed it in front of the grille, idk ill work on it
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
yeah i know theres a stock one, but if i like cut the pipe and re routed it in front of the grille, idk ill work on it
Some have done it and found that it did nothing but good luck.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
like a boss
middiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security
Name: Joe
middiedefense's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to middiedefense
I say grab some dryer tubing and mod away
Old 06-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Go Pro Junkie

^good idea
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
drill a hole straight through the fender to the filter.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Cut a GIANT hole in your hood then route the filter so it is vertical coming out of your hood
Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
demesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the sheddemesauce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: SWAT Medic, Flight Medic, Rescue Team
Name: Phil
demesauce's Tacoma Gallery
Although you can do this mod, you most likely will fail smog next time you go through inspection.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by demesauce View Post
Although you can do this mod, you most likely will fail smog next time you go through inspection.
he from louisiana
Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #14
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by middiedefense View Post
I say grab some dryer tubing and mod away
I've actually seen that done before. I snapped a cell phone pic in a parking lot ages ago and no longer have a copy.

OP, a lot of people have experimented by replacing the stock intake tubes with aluminum or plastic ones with less bends and such, the gains you get out of the money spent are just not worth the effort. Sorry man.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Go Pro Junkie

thats disappointing to hear, but imma try it anyway hehe
Old 06-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #16
like a boss
middiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
I've actually seen that done before. I snapped a cell phone pic in a parking lot ages ago and no longer have a copy.

OP, a lot of people have experimented by replacing the stock intake tubes with aluminum or plastic ones with less bends and such, the gains you get out of the money spent are just not worth the effort. Sorry man.

So much HP to be had

edit: don't forget the lint trap
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by middiedefense View Post
So much HP to be had
Not from the dryer duct though. That aftermarket spark plug cover is the real power maker.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808matt View Post
he from louisiana
watch yourself
Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #19
like a boss

Also seeing how mods are only cool because they come with stickers (also performance enhancing). You should get like a maytag or kenmore sticker so those fools on the street know what they're up against.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
watch yourself
huh?