Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Which Exhaust is better?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Travis is on a distinguished road
Travis's Tacoma Gallery
Question Magnaflow or Flowmaster??

I have a 2002 tacoma 4cyl. and am shopping the market for exhaust systems. I have narrowed the field down to two and I am looking for opinons on which would do the best for me Flowmater or Magnaflow? I am looking for a nice aggressive sound, but also want some HP boost. Which is the best choice??
Old 06-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
viprbomber is on a distinguished road

viprbomber's Tacoma Gallery
exhaust

I have been shopping around and feel that the Borla is best for me (05 Tacoma) you have to decide on stainless and the aera you live in, Moisture, rust, etc.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Lee's06Taco is on a distinguished road

Lee's06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
depending on what sound you want to get out of it. Magnaflow gives you an import sound. Flowmaster will give you a muscle car sound.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i have a single in/dual out flowmaster original 40 exhaust i put on my tacoma, and although its a v6, you can still get the general idea of what a flowmaster will sound like on your truck. i think it sounds awesome! heres the soundclip

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=DSCF1124.flv

hope this helps you out!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Travis's Tacoma Gallery
hey thanks tacomaman on the sound bite i was looking everywhere for a decent sound bite, but could not find one and this is just what i was looking for. I was kind of leaning towards the flowmaster and i think that is what i will go with now. Thanks A lot, Travis
Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
hey thanks tacomaman on the sound bite i was looking everywhere for a decent sound bite, but could not find one and this is just what i was looking for. I was kind of leaning towards the flowmaster and i think that is what i will go with now. Thanks A lot, Travis
no problem man, glad i could help!!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
twoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

twoarezee's Tacoma Gallery
flowmaster sounds like farts on a 4 banger. plus chambered mufflers dont help with performance. i had a 14" magnaflow and it sounded great. nice deep tone not ricey or raspy at all, and magnaflow uses a straight through core so there is more performance. now i have a stainless steel mandrel bent cat back from jardine with a magnaflow muffler. blows flowmaster out of the water.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoarezee View Post
heres a quick sound clip. sounds way better in person.
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=100_0981.flv

jmo.......sounds way ricer to me, think ill stick with my flowmaster. i just like the rumble of my original 40, maybe not as great sounding on a 4 banger, but thats just me. if you like the magnaflow....cool.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i had a flowmaster on my 4cyl s-10 and it sounded really ricey. i much prefer the sound of my magnaflow on my truck now...granted its a v6, but still
Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
Route66Taco will become famous soon enoughRoute66Taco will become famous soon enough

Route66Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Trd

Have you considered TRD. Just purchased the set up myself. Has good rumble and some pop but not ricer pop...deeper in tone. I'll get you a sound bite later.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
twoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwoarezee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
jmo.......sounds way ricer to me, think ill stick with my flowmaster. i just like the rumble of my original 40, maybe not as great sounding on a 4 banger, but thats just me. if you like the magnaflow....cool.
i dont remeber saying a flowmaster didn't sound good on a 4.0l v6 or that you should change to magnaflow, but on a 2.4l i4 flowmasters sound like shit. i know people who have them on there 2rz's and they all sound poppy and raspy.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoarezee View Post
i dont remeber saying a flowmaster didn't sound good on a 4.0l v6 or that you should change to magnaflow, but on a 2.4l i4 flowmasters sound like shit. i know people who have them on there 2rz's and they all sound poppy and raspy.

ok, and i wasnt meaning that your truck sounds way ricer......i was saying that to me, magnaflow sounds ricer on most things ive heard(excluding a v8 of course). and i also said that imo,flowmaster sounds better, maybe not as great on a 4banger. its just my opinion dude! wasnt trying to start an argument!!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
when i'd drive up in my 4cyl s-10, everyone would think i was a lil civic or something...and that was w/ a K&N FIPK, power pullies, pacesetter ceramic header, stage 2 jet chip, and the flowmaster.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
Travis's Tacoma Gallery
TWOAREZEE Hey man thanks for your help where would u get a hook up like that and how much would it run for???
Old 06-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #16

i got mine for $160 because i got hooked up with a smoking deal, retail on it is about $350. try jardine or doug thorleys web site for it. also the magnaflow cat-back is basically the same thing. but you can have a 14" magnaflow welded to stock piping for under $200.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:30 AM   #17
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
tacomaman06. Thank you for the sound clip sounds good from the outside. how does the sound carry through the cab at cruiseing speeds. some exhaust have that low drum throught the cab that can drive you nuts. so i was just wondering. thank you tacomaman06
Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDITECH View Post
tacomaman06. Thank you for the sound clip sounds good from the outside. how does the sound carry through the cab at cruiseing speeds. some exhaust have that low drum throught the cab that can drive you nuts. so i was just wondering. thank you tacomaman06
on the interstates i can barely even hear it. and its actually rather quiet at idle. when you first crank it up in the morning,its a little loud, but it settles down quickly,imo. but as far as cruising speeds....u can barely even tell its there!
Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #19
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
thats what i need to know. thank you
Old 06-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDITECH View Post
thats what i need to know. thank you

no problem man!! anytime!