Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Noguchi is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Staff Sergeant USAF, Retired
Name: Nick
Noguchi's Tacoma Gallery
Hello new Tamoma owner... which cold air intake

Hello everyone,

I just got a 2003 Tacoma TRD Prerunner with a V6. What cold air intake system is best for this motor, K&N... ?

Thanks for your time
Old 06-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Hello. Stock is cold air. Search deckplate mod.

Goodbye.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a afe pro dry for ease and cleaning
Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
X2 for both deck plate mod if your on a budget, aFe if you want some engine noise. I have the aFe stage 2 oiled CAI i love it but gains are probably the same as the deck plate mod but the aFe sounds wayyyy better!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #5

Noguchi's Tacoma Gallery
Hello again All,

Thank you to all for your posts thus far!

I think I may be "looking" for the wrong intake though.........

Also if I step on anyone's toes please forgive me, I'm a former Crew Chief from the USAF and I understand mechanical theories of operation quite well. With that said I am just stating what I "believe" to be not right, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I looked into the mod and the AFE intakes...

As for the stock intake being a CAI, I'm not sure if it is classified as one... the reason I say this is because by definition a CAI is to bring "cold" or cooler air into the engine via an external port is it not? Please correct me if I'm wrong cuz I want to do this project right... I'm sure you all understand.

The Mod looks like a GREAT way to save money and a nifty way to fix a somewhat simple problem. But if you are still sucking air in at engine bay temps it would be the same as removing the box completely. (yes I know not to take the whole box out because water is some bad jue jue for a motor) Which will give you some HP gain but I don't think it effect GPM...

AFE says that you could get 8 HP gain 10FTlb for $279... the site says this is a CAI

on AA, K&N 10.17HP (possible) didn't say for torque... $289 ish

But now after researching all of this I think I may be looking and asking the wrong question...

May be my def of a CAI is actually a ram air intake?? Any thoughts??

Again thank you to all you for your help on this!!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGameHuntr View Post
The OP has a 1st gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noguchi View Post
Hello again All,

Thank you to all for your posts thus far!

I think I may be "looking" for the wrong intake though.........

Also if I step on anyone's toes please forgive me, I'm a former Crew Chief from the USAF and I understand mechanical theories of operation quite well. With that said I am just stating what I "believe" to be not right, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I looked into the mod and the AFE intakes...

As for the stock intake being a CAI, I'm not sure if it is classified as one... the reason I say this is because by definition a CAI is to bring "cold" or cooler air into the engine via an external port is it not? Please correct me if I'm wrong cuz I want to do this project right... I'm sure you all understand.

The Mod looks like a GREAT way to save money and a nifty way to fix a somewhat simple problem. But if you are still sucking air in at engine bay temps it would be the same as removing the box completely. (yes I know not to take the whole box out because water is some bad jue jue for a motor) Which will give you some HP gain but I don't think it effect GPM...

AFE says that you could get 8 HP gain 10FTlb for $279... the site says this is a CAI

on AA, K&N 10.17HP (possible) didn't say for torque... $289 ish

But now after researching all of this I think I may be looking and asking the wrong question...

May be my def of a CAI is actually a ram air intake?? Any thoughts??

Again thank you to all you for your help on this!!

Follow the inlet tube of the stock intake. I'm not sure exactly where it goes on the 1st gen but I am 80% sure it is grabbing air from a cool source. On my 2nd gen it grabs air from the inner fender and the liner itself has a vent to let cold air in. The deckplate mod grabs air from behind the headlight which is cool the the truck is moving. If you really must buy a cold air intake then look at something boxed like Volant or S&B. An intake with a heat shield is not a cold air intake because the shield does not full enclose the filter element. You also have the choice of a snorkel. The most popular and cost effective mod is the deckplate mod. Do not believe what the company says about the gains you will see because they are false. You may see a 2 or 3 horsepower gain at the top of the RPM range. The restriction in mostly in the head(s) of the engine. Good luck.

P.S.- There are no ram air intakes for your truck. You would have to build something.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
ill be looking into the AEM Brute Force CAI. its got a dry filter so no oiling and getting it sucked up in ur shizz...
Old 06-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #9

Noguchi's Tacoma Gallery
Hello Again everyone,

Thanks Whippersapper!

And thanks to the rest of you guys too.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #10

Noguchi's Tacoma Gallery
Hello again everyone,

First off Whippersnapper I owe you a huge apology, the stock intake is a CAI... it pulls air in from the passenger side front quarter pannel... odd place to pull air from in my opinion, but none the less the air is "cold". So again, my bad.

Today I replaced the plugs with E3 plugs (they work great so far) and just replaced the air filter with a flat K&N (nothing grand yet). But next will be doing the deck mod I think, then the exhaust... I would like to replace the cat to tip... any thoughts?? I would also like to replace the intake tube for looks. I will upload some pics soon if you guys would like to see how clean this truck is... picked it up a week ago for a fair price and this thing looks as if some oll grandpa used it to drive to the mailbox or something... those days will be long gone cuz she is about to meet some GA red clay as soon as it rains good around here. lol

Anyway thanks again for ya'lls time.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
Sisu
Ihatetacomas is on a distinguished road

Name: Dylan
Ihatetacomas's Tacoma Gallery
My take on intakes.

Honestly, I don't like K&N very much, but that's because my first intake was K&N on a 2.4L Dodge Avenger and it just sounded terrible, mostly because of all the shifting because it's a 2.4L, K&N's are loud at low rpm's though, and on the highway, but that's from my experience with a Dodge so keep that in mind... I have a Volant intake now, the high RPM's you can hear it but otherwise it's pretty quiet... Hope this helps!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noguchi View Post
Hello again everyone,

First off Whippersnapper I owe you a huge apology, the stock intake is a CAI... it pulls air in from the passenger side front quarter pannel... odd place to pull air from in my opinion, but none the less the air is "cold". So again, my bad.

Today I replaced the plugs with E3 plugs (they work great so far) and just replaced the air filter with a flat K&N (nothing grand yet). But next will be doing the deck mod I think, then the exhaust... I would like to replace the cat to tip... any thoughts?? I would also like to replace the intake tube for looks. I will upload some pics soon if you guys would like to see how clean this truck is... picked it up a week ago for a fair price and this thing looks as if some oll grandpa used it to drive to the mailbox or something... those days will be long gone cuz she is about to meet some GA red clay as soon as it rains good around here. lol

Anyway thanks again for ya'lls time.
E3 huh, should of went with stock plugs.

Products Discussed in this Thread