Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

ANOTHER deckplate mod question

Old 06-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #21
Greenhorn
95.5 taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle Osborne
95.5 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Am I wrong or ain't just leaving the top of your airbox open kinda similar to deckplate mod?? You can open and close when you want and it'll give u more air??
Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95.5 taco View Post
Am I wrong or ain't just leaving the top of your airbox open kinda similar to deckplate mod?? You can open and close when you want and it'll give u more air??
You will probably suck in unfiltered air. Just do the deckplate mod already.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #23
Greenhorn

Ummm....well how will that suck in any different air then deckplate they r both a large gaping hole in ur airbox....
Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
This is the top of the box right?

If you leave it open un filtered air will get past the filter. If you want dirt in your engine then by all means leave it open. With the deckplate it still pulls the air through the filter so it stays clean.....Did you start the deckplate mod yet?

Edit: See. Still going through the filter:

Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #25
Greenhorn

Yea I gotcha now! But no....tryin to find a deckplate locally but not really had a chance to look everywhere. Not startin til I find 1. Imma look tmrw and Sunday. So maybe it'll be done next week!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #26
Banned
I say buy it online. I have seen them on evilbay for $10 or less.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #27
jblair is on a distinguished road

jblair's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine for $3. plus shipping but still
Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #28
Greenhorn

Ok now u can't tell me that 2 3" or 4" deckplates side by side will pull too much air if that airbox in those 2 bottom pics doesn't pull too much
Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
Banned
Honestly the engine is only going to pull so much air in. 2 deckplates will probably be overkill just like the massive hole in the pic. It is the same reason intakes don't really work. There is some restriction but not some. If you want do two but I highly doubt it will make a difference over a single one.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #30
Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblair View Post
I got mine for $3. plus shipping but still
I see that uve got the 4banger. Well my buddy has a 96 with 4banger and he told me that he cudnt do the deckplate cause somethan about the airbox has ridges in it or some bs? Is urs not like that?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #31
Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Honestly the engine is only going to pull so much air in. 2 deckplates will probably be overkill just like the massive hole in the pic. It is the same reason intakes don't really work. There is some restriction but not some. If you want do two but I highly doubt it will make a difference over a single one.
Alright. Preciate it. I'm bout to look on eBay.....now only if my gf will lemme borrow her credit card
Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #32
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Just try the elbow mod like I did-I like it. IMO the air supply from the fender is cooler than from the corner of the engine bay.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #33
Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Just try the elbow mod like I did-I like it. IMO the air supply from the fender is cooler than from the corner of the engine bay.
I was curious to what in the world the elbow mod was....but I found your thread about it! Another smart/easy idea! imma do both!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #34
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I was curious to what in the world the elbow mod was....but I found your thread about it! Another smart/easy idea! imma do both!
Very cool be sure to disconnect the positive cable of the battery , then do the mod, then reconnect the battery-this will speed up the ECU's learning of the new air flow.
Yeah I figure-try the elbow-then if you want more-do the dckplate-nothing to lose!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #35
Banned
Quote:
If you do the deckplate mod and the elbow mod the air will mostly flow through the deckplate because it is less restrictive.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #36
Greenhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Very cool be sure to disconnect the positive cable of the battery , then do the mod, then reconnect the battery-this will speed up the ECU's learning of the new air flow.
Yeah I figure-try the elbow-then if you want more-do the dckplate-nothing to lose!
That's my exact plan. Elbow first. I preciate it! It'll be done tomorrow morning!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #37

Quote:
That's my exact plan. Elbow first. I preciate it! It'll be done tomorrow morning!
Fun give us a report when you're done and the better throttle response starts showing. I love the throttle response difference I have been enjoying since doing it. Chris 4x4 rightly insists that I do the deckplate-but I am so satisfied with this mod, I haven't done it yet plus-I still feel you stand to get doses of potential hotter air from the engine bay moreso than from inside the fender.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #38
Greenhorn

I understand that! But with the deckplate more air is not just bein pulled in...it's also bein pushed in more by the wind force...if that makes any sense. But have you also covered your silencers on ur intake hose?
Old 06-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #39

No I left the silencer alone. Good point on the forced air. Your experiences with both mods will be interesting to hear
Old 06-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #40
Greenhorn

Well ill be sure to post up how it all goes! Elbow mod first though