Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

question about chips

Old 10-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
08 tacoma dirive is on a distinguished road
08 tacoma dirive's Tacoma Gallery
question about chips

what chip would be the best for my 08 tacoma v6 i was thinking of Unichip Performance Chip and if the money would be worth the preformance thanks for the help
Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i think the only true module, as far as chips go, that will actually amount to anything is the urd maf calibrator. there really arent any "chips" for the newer tacomas. i cant really comment on the unichip, as i havent heard enough about it, but there is alot you can do with the maf calibrator. not saying the unichip doesnt work, just havent heard anything about it, and have heard lots of good about the urd product.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
With other mods you might unlock enough extra with a MAF Cal or the Unichip. But as a source of massive power gains...The chip alone just isn't it.

You need to do some engine/systems work before you get outside the stock ECU's capability to compensate with the changes. (Like a complete air, fuel, or electrical system rebuild- forced induction for example) or new engine components- like cams valves, injectors)

If you are planning on making a big prohect out fo it...Unichipo might be for you. My last truck had a SC and I used seperate piggy back fuel systems and a boost timing retard system. But it was a Dodge around 250cshp stock....and a 450rwhp when I got done.

Figure out how much you want to put into the engine and go from there...
Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
When it comes to performance and the 4.0L 1gr, the unichip is low on the suggestion list.

If you are wanting the most power out of the engine the APR X-1 controller is the best route. The next in recommendations would be the Map 2 ECU. Then for n/a vehicles just looking to make sure the air fuel ratio is solid, and picking up few extra hp the URD Maf Cal is a good product.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
If you are wanting the most power out of the engine the APR X-1 controller is the best route. The next in recommendations would be the Map 2 ECU. Then for n/a vehicles just looking to make sure the air fuel ratio is solid, and picking up few extra hp the URD Maf Cal is a good product.

Would you happen to have a link for this.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
APR X-1 - www.aprpower.com
- http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...1mtppng24f6at0

MapECU 2 - http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...1mtppng24f6at0
Old 10-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
What ype of gains are you looking for?
Old 10-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I was just thinking that most vehicles meet the requirements of cali. and that I could use an adjustment in air/fuel mixture seeing as how I am living in Louisiana. I wouldn't mind finding something giving more low end torque but everything I see is for 3500 rpm and up, and I don't drive in that range much.
Ya that's a tough one to do... building low end torque. Forced Induction is a good way to build a bunch of low end.