Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD Y-Pipe vs DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe.

View Poll Results: Which Y-pipe is the best for my truck....
URD Y-pipe @ $489 16 64.00%
DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe @ $300 6 24.00%
My cousins, nephews, grandma has (insert Y-pipe name here) on her tacoma and loves it!!! 3 12.00%
US THE D%!M SEARCH YOU B@ST3RD!!! 4 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWAIANIANI View Post
Urd cause you are sc so the engine can breathe easier meaning more power, The engine is an air compressor so you have to be able to get rid of the air as fast as you suck or push it in. The URD doesnt have any crazy bends like the DT but does come in 2 peices and if you are lifted you will have to go to a muffler shop to have it extended.
OK, first question, why would i have to have it extended? Nothing I have done with lifting my truck so far has had any effect on my exhaust system stock or modified so why would I need to get this extended if its meant to bolt directly into the stock location?

OK, I understand the concept of how a supercharger/turbocharger works. The DT does have an extra bend in it and the "resonators" but I cant see it being much more restrictive than the URD. The resonators are basically jsut pass through so shouldnt cause much of a restriction, same with that extra bend. On top of that either of them will flow MUCH better than the stock headers, Y pipe, and cats...

Either way I can see both of them being a big improvement over the stock Y pipe and cats.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
^^^
I was going to ask the same question after reading that post. I might be a little more concerned if I was on drag strip looking for every little advantage. I think both pipes are going to yield the same results.

The one thing that really pissed me off about the Doug Thorley when I got it was the modified gasket flange.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
What exactly was wrong with the gasket flange? Have they fixed the problem?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It wasn't exactly a problem by design, the flange is maybe 1/16" longer than the stock. This extra sizing was by Doug Thorley's design.
Doug Thorley from my understanding had an issue with leaks at this connection point. The FJ exhuast also has the same style gasket but is 1/16" wider.
So what DT did is accommodate the FJ size with their design. I think the biggest problem that people have had with the piping is no gasket, documentation or part numbers were distributed with the kit. Without the FJ gasket you leak real bad.

This took me me like a week to research and find in other forums.

It's not really an issue if you are capable of grinding it down or getting the gasket. I think some have been very lost before finding this out.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #25
Interesting... Good thing to know about that flange.

So I think you mentioned that you installed the "Powerstick?" What exactly does that do? Going to research it but want your opinion on it as well.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #26

It's a 25" flow through muffler similar to the Areo Turbine. It is made by Classic Chambered. I first found out about at the LS1 Tech forum.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...ds-pics-4.html

This has been he most effective exhaust system I have found so far for any application. I am thinking about using two on my 370Z but I love the sound I have at the moment.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #27
KAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the roughKAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the roughKAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the roughKAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the rough

Name: Chris
KAWAIANIANI's Tacoma Gallery
Go to the URD website and read reveiws as far as extending it or modifying it, A gentleman reviewed he had a 3" lift and had to modify it in some way to make it fit. also ask several members who have ran into that, Basically with certain lift brackets it actually interferes with the routing of the piping. My brother who just purchased the URD had this same issue as well and he is running a 6". As for mine I am stock and had to make no modifications. Not saying you dont know how to make a engine work however every little bend inhibits flow so it all depends on what you are trying to do and what muffler you plan on running and how it works and if slight back pressure is needed to make it work more efficiently or not.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
got my urd y in yesterday but ran into an issue with o2 sensors so i had to order 2 more, they should be in wed and ill get it all put back together for a sound clip. the 4x4 urd y pipe is designed different than the one shown in the pic earlier in this thread, ill get a side by side comparison in a little bit after i finish my honey-do's. heres a clip from when i parked it yesterday just open headers, scared the s out of the neighbors wife who was gardening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-pf...e_gdata_player
Old 06-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #29
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
so heres the side by side of the stock y and the urd 4x4 y,

the stock y does its job but since you are s/c you will want the best flow available. the pipe bomb was just not a good design in my own opinion thats why i sold it. http://aprpower.com/exhaust%20y-pipe.html theres a good read here and this is what i was experiencing with my stock y pipe. In the future if the apr y ever becomes available for 4x4's i will switch over but for now the urd is your best bet for exhaust flow. The only bad thing about this pipe is it runs underneath the transmission which people have expressed concerns for the extra heat especially in an automatic truck, but superwerty has been running this for sometime and runs his truck harder than most and i have heard no negatives about it from him. You can see how the stock pipe diameter changes a few times.

So i should have the new o2's wed and will get you a sound clip shortly after.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #30
Sweet pics man. Looking forward to the audio...
Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #31
BTW, I love that APR Y-pipe, to bad its not avaliable for 4x4.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #32
05xr is on a distinguished road
05xr's Tacoma Gallery
I had the doug thorley pipe bomb a while back along with the long tube headers and stock exhaust. It was terribly raspy! One thing is that the metal is very thin with the Thorley piece... One of the reasons the cost is less. I could feel the resonance/vibration under my feet and through the floor boards. I hated the sound.

I took the pipe bomb to the muffler shop and had them cut out the resonators and just insert straight pipes. It still sounded bad!

One thing that Apr states on their Y pipe is that the key to proper sound is the equal length pipes coming off each header. Its when one section is longer than the other that you start getting raspy sound. I would think that this is why the thorley sounds pretty bad. That and being made out of light weight metal.

Im in the market for a URD Y pipe this time around. Im hoping that the sound isnt as bad. Now i have 2 in line Magnaflow mufflers to help dampen the sound. I was thinking that if I still got the vibrations through the floor boards I would try and do some type of thermal wrap to help insulate some sound.

Apr is an option for me, but Im not into chopping up my existing headers and welding that pipe into place.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05xr View Post
Apr is an option for me, but Im not into chopping up my existing headers and welding that pipe into place.
it dosent look like you need to cut and weld with the APR unless I missed something. It does state they are supposed to work with DT LT headers and appears to come with clamps for connecting it.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #34
I take that back, I just re-read it. You are correct, the APR does require cutting of your headers and cat back exhaust.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #35
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
So I just read through the thread, and came to the conclusion that most of you recommend the URD Y-Pipe, and since I plan on putting a S/C on my truck, sooner than later, this would be my best bet?! Also, I have budbuilt skids, so this would act as my high clearance Y-pipe as well.

So I guess my question is the URD Y-Pipe right for my application?!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #36

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
So I just read through the thread, and came to the conclusion that most of you recommend the URD Y-Pipe, and since I plan on putting a S/C on my truck, sooner than later, this would be my best bet?! Also, I have budbuilt skids, so this would act as my high clearance Y-pipe as well.

So I guess my question is the URD Y-Pipe right for my application?!
i would say yes, but i would get headers before a y pipe, if you get headers(long tubes) and the urd y pipe be prepared to get your exhaust setup right. my banks system didnt stand a chance and instead of trying to add more mufflers i just pulled the trigger on urd's mk2 exhaust which is supposed to be the answer to no cats. i should get it next week sometime.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #37
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh okay, well I wanted to keep my headers, don't want it too loud, and really just interested in getting a high clearance y-pipe for clearance!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #38
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would have a shop make something and utilize the stock cats for a high clearance system.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #39
Max's Canadian Twin

I shopped around town, and custom doesn't really exist around here, cheaped was like $500!!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #40
09Doright8126 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
09Doright8126's Tacoma Gallery
I too have just run into this same issue (see the link to my thread... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ing-today.html). I just finished installing the DLTL heads + URD y-pipe and Wicked Flow muffler and now is WAY too loud/raspy. I'd like to keep this set up but does anyone have a preference on which muffler would be best to tame this sound??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.