Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD Y-Pipe vs DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe.

View Poll Results: Which Y-pipe is the best for my truck....
URD Y-pipe @ $489 16 64.00%
DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe @ $300 6 24.00%
My cousins, nephews, grandma has (insert Y-pipe name here) on her tacoma and loves it!!! 3 12.00%
US THE D%!M SEARCH YOU B@ST3RD!!! 4 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #41
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Doright8126 View Post
I too have just run into this same issue (see the link to my thread... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ing-today.html). I just finished installing the DLTL heads + URD y-pipe and Wicked Flow muffler and now is WAY too loud/raspy. I'd like to keep this set up but does anyone have a preference on which muffler would be best to tame this sound??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Install a resonator before the muffler.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #42
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
A V6 that gets raspy with the cats removed????? Noooooooo!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #43
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Install a resonator before the muffler.
^^^This
You need a resonator welded on after the flange of your cat-back exhaust. There is a company that makes a short style resonator. I'm on my phone or I would help find you the link.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:57 AM   #45
09Doright8126 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
09Doright8126's Tacoma Gallery
I've been researching and I think to get some back pressure back and quite down the rasp I'm gonna install both a cat and resonator in front of the muffler... what do you guys think??

I've found the vibrant ultra quiet resonator (bit expensive) but haven't determined which cat to get yet.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #46
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I don't think you need a cat. From what i've heard and read. You need a resonator or a chambered muffler. So that you can tune the exhaust pulses. A straight threw type muffler with long tubes and no cat's will make it extremely loud and raspy/buzzy. So maybe a resonator or get 2 muffler's if thats cheaper. Lots of guys are running 2 muffler's. One chambered and one straight threw. Make sense?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #48
Dirty Trucker

Maybe like a dynomax super turbo(this is the muffler used in the URD exhaust for long tube headers) and a 18" magnaflow behind that.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #49
Dirty Trucker

Here is member SuperWerty's truck. He has 2 mufler's. Basically he has the long tube headers, URD y-pipe and the URD exhaust with the turbo muffler and another magnaflow welded in there too. Then he dumped it after the axle.
http://youtu.be/ubSy9Nykoso
Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #50
09Doright8126 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
09Doright8126's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
Here is member SuperWerty's truck. He has 2 mufler's. Basically he has the long tube headers, URD y-pipe and the URD exhaust with the turbo muffler and another magnaflow welded in there too. Then he dumped it after the axle.
Wow... that did sound much better! I PM'd him and he said the same thing. I already pulled the trigger and am getting a Vibrant resonator and Magnaflow muffler. I don't mind the exhaust being a little loud but the rasp has got to go, it's driving me insane!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #51
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
http://youtu.be/ubSy9Nykoso
Now this sounds more like what i want. That dosent sound bad at all.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #52
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
heres long tubes, urd y pipe, and the new urd mk2 catback. i have a nasty leak at the y pipe/cat back flange but have v-bands waiting to get welded in. This setup sounds incredible even with the hissing from the leak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5UNYo89dMA
Old 07-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #53
05xr is on a distinguished road
05xr's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I just snagged a used Urd y pipe. I will try and post some impressions and audio clips once installed.

Basically S/C, DTLT, and 2 magnaflow mufflers will be in the mix. I was even thinking of thermal wrapping the Y pipe to insulate some sound. I remember feeling some resonance through the floor boards with the thorley y pipe
Old 09-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #54
staymates788 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: SEAN
staymates788's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old thread, but thought this would be the right place for my question:

Has anyone tried to take a URD Y Pipe for the 4x4 and weld in the stock cats? Here in CA I'm trying to see my options for some exhaust upgrades while remaining CARB Legal.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #55
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by staymates788 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but thought this would be the right place for my question:

Has anyone tried to take a URD Y Pipe for the 4x4 and weld in the stock cats? Here in CA I'm trying to see my options for some exhaust upgrades while remaining CARB Legal.
bumpo
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #56
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
bumpo
Problem is that even if you weld cats into place you still won't be CARB legal unless URD, or someone, certifies the mod with CARB.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #57
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
gotcha..........................money talks
Old 03-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #58
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by staymates788 View Post

1) put in OE Y pipe for inspection.

2) install URD after.

3) redo steps 1 and 2 as necessary

My DT has resonators so I'm not worried about some cop spot checking my exhaust. First off he will never have a reason to. I'm going to try and pass emissions with my resonators and see what happens. The exhaust dump after the axle will cause some issues I expect though.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #59
I like my truck!
1tacoplease is on a distinguished road

Army: SGT - ret.
1tacoplease's Tacoma Gallery
I just read through the this whole thread and I'm on the same boat. I'm planning on getting the DT Y pipe bomb, but don't want it to be too loud. I have long tubes and a catback but was thinking of welding in another resonator or a powerstick. Any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #60
Vassily28 is on a distinguished road
Vassily28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tacoplease View Post
I just read through the this whole thread and I'm on the same boat. I'm planning on getting the DT Y pipe bomb, but don't want it to be too loud. I have long tubes and a catback but was thinking of welding in another resonator or a powerstick. Any thoughts?
I have the same setup + the TRD SC and had a problem with the exhaust being very loud so i've installed a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. I'm very hapy with the result. The DT Y pipe bomb is not perfect. I've changed the clamp (u-bolt style) supplied with it for one like a band cause i hade a leak. The Y-pipe is running very close to the transfer case actuator possibly generating heat. I don't like the wrapping but find a very interesting product that keep an air gap between the blanket and the pipe. Very, very nice product.

http://store.sdhqoffroad.com/titaniu...eatshield.aspx

Nice store and perfect service.