Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

URD Y-Pipe vs DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe.

View Poll Results: Which Y-pipe is the best for my truck....
URD Y-pipe @ $489 16 64.00%
DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe @ $300 6 24.00%
My cousins, nephews, grandma has (insert Y-pipe name here) on her tacoma and loves it!!! 3 12.00%
US THE D%!M SEARCH YOU B@ST3RD!!! 4 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
URD Y-Pipe vs DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe.

So I am seriously debating finishing the rest of my exhaust. I live 50/50 in Washington and Arizona and both have emissions but not the toughest and I dont have to do them for another 4 years since my truck is fairly new.

I currently have a 2010 Superwhite DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 6 spd with a TRD supercharger, AFE CAI, and magnaflow CB exhaust. I am thinking of finishing it off with some DTLT Headers and a Y pipe so I was looking over the URD site and came across the 2 selections they have:
1: URD Y-pipe... Tried and true, I am sure this will get the most votes...

2: DT "Pipe Bomb" Y pipe... I like it has resonators on it and its almost $200 cheaper.

So what I want to know is what is the advantage of one over the other. I am looking for people with experiance with one, the other, or both. I will even accept people with second hand experiance of them in a friends truck as long as you have personally witnessed/experianced the sound/performance/installation.

For those of you that feel the need to chime in even though you have only read about them, never read about them, feel the need to chime in with no clue what your talking about, or heard from a friends brothers cousins nephews former room mate about them I will find you as I travel around the US/world and proceed to place a bag of my own flaming "post chipolte" excrement on your door step, ring the bell, and run off laughing like a loon....

So on that note (and I am sure I will get flame sprayed but thats half the fun" I look forward to peoples responses.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Anyone???
Old 06-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FO on the OP
Name: Brandon
outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
I had the pipe bomb and sold it a while back but ordered the urd y on sat so hopefully ill see it fri or sat and can give you a comparison, or if you feel like roadtripping if you are in wa come north on 5 and you can see and hear it for yourself
Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Outlaw,
You up at FT Lewis? I might just take you up on that when I make a run to Cabelas one day soon. I am down in AZ right now but will be home around the 4th of July weekend.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
outlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoutlaw7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a little farther north than lewis but I would be down to cruise to cabellas and let you see and hear in person. Only thing is I have the banks monster cat back but you at lwast be able to hear how loud it is.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
==========
pAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
pAP's Tacoma Gallery
I have been running the Pipe Bomb for the past couple of weeks. It sounds really good paired with the TRD cat back. It added a nice throatier tone to the TRD. Not sure how it would sound without the front cats though. I heard the exhaust gets real raspy sounding without the front cats and headers.

Performance wise - didn't feel much but have noticed significant MPG increase. I have been getting an extra 15 miles per fill up.

Pap
Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Interesting... I would be interested in hearing some exhausts with headers and Y pipes. Does the PIPE BOMB Y pipe help with the raspiness since it has the resonators?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #8

outlaw7's Tacoma Gallery
When I ran the pipe bomb I had stock manifolds and the banks and 0 rasp, I now have the new long tubes and stock y and banks and 0 rasp. Ill update on Saturday when I get the urd y installed
Old 06-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
you have sc.. easy decision man
Old 06-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
you have sc.. easy decision man
And that is?
Old 06-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
urd ypipe
Old 06-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
I am just curious about your statement. Thats one thing that I am asking about, what makes the URD so much better than the DT Y pipe? How did you come by this conclusion?

I e-mailed gadget but he hasnt awnsered back yet.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks like the DT pipe has resonators and a crazy bend.

Not sure about the bends in the URD pipe since they only show the 2wd pipe but no resonators.

I would get resonators since you are putting this on a V6.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #14
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
I may try to hit up my local muffler shop to have a custom 2.5" mandrel bent Y-pipe with resonators. If they quote me cheaper than pipe bombs them i'll go that route
Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #15
Yea, I am not sure what is up with that crazy bend.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 PM   #16
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pAP View Post
I have been running the Pipe Bomb for the past couple of weeks. It sounds really good paired with the TRD cat back. It added a nice throatier tone to the TRD. Not sure how it would sound without the front cats though. I heard the exhaust gets real raspy sounding without the front cats and headers.

Performance wise - didn't feel much but have noticed significant MPG increase. I have been getting an extra 15 miles per fill up.

Pap
It gets very raspy, I ended up putting the rear cats back on and selling the Y-pipe after doing headers and TRD CBE. I did however buy a muffler piece called a powerstick, changed the exhaust note drastically.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I hade the URD pipe bomb and with the TRD aftermarkrt exaust it was too loud for my old ass ears so I put the stock exhaust back on with it along with my TRD CAI it is perfect.
When I go WFO it howls, and under every day driving it is quiet.
Perfect!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #18
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Now that I think about I probably wouldn't get a y pipe at all on a Tacoma unless it was full race or I wanted maximum ground clearance.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #19
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
I hade the URD pipe bomb and with the TRD aftermarkrt exaust it was too loud for my old ass ears so I put the stock exhaust back on with it along with my TRD CAI it is perfect.
When I go WFO it howls, and under every day driving it is quiet.
Perfect!
URD or Pipe bomb?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
KAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the roughKAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the roughKAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the roughKAWAIANIANI is a jewel in the rough

KAWAIANIANI's Tacoma Gallery
Urd cause you are sc so the engine can breathe easier meaning more power, The engine is an air compressor so you have to be able to get rid of the air as fast as you suck or push it in. The URD doesnt have any crazy bends like the DT but does come in 2 peices and if you are lifted you will have to go to a muffler shop to have it extended. Im in avondale area if you want to hear what dtlt, urd and a 3" catback flowmaster sounds like let me know.