1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cost of TRD Supercharger in Canada

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by NMG, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jun 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    NMG

NMG [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Hi folks,

Was considering adding the TRD Supercharger to my truck until I e-mailed a dealer for a quote. They came back at just over 8K taxes in :eek:

I was expecting something more in the line of 5-6K and with that price I would definitely consider it. 8K just seems way beyond the point of reasonability, especially when the parts can be sourced for roughly half that out of the US. I know there may be some warranty issues with going that route though (and I don't really want to risk warranty issues when it comes to something that major).

Have any of you done this mod in Canada and if so, what did it run you for cost?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jun 23, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Your in BC, just drive across the boarder to Bellingham and get one for less than 5K at the dealership there. Also, check a few US internet sites, you should be able to find it much cheaper. I dont know about shipping to you though.

You might be able to find someone who can be the middle man for you.

3. Jun 24, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    NMG

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I thought about that extremachn1 but it sounds like the warranty through Toyota Canada is only valid if it is purchased and installed through the Canadian dealer. I still have three years left on my warranty and I don't want to risk it with something as significant as an engine.

As best as I can tell, the parts would be around $5,800, the install labour about $1,200 and taxes for the rest. Honestly, for a little more a guy could find a used RX-8 or something like that, LOL. Of course, the Supercharged Taco would still be more unique but I think it's a little too much for me to justify.

4. Jun 24, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    8K is definitely too much to spend on SC! It sounds like you should find out and be 100% sure that Toyota will still cover warranty if you choose to SC it outside of Canada. The TRD supercharger is an OEM part so i don't see why a Canadian dealer wouldn't warranty any work needed if problems were to arise.

Kinda like if you were to buy a Taco in the U.S. the Canadian dealer would still have to provide warranty work regardless of where you purchased it from, as long as its still under the warranty time lines.

Make sense? Correct me if i'm wrong tho....

5. Jun 24, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Agree with above^
    In the US it just has to be installed by a dealer, not purchased from. If the product is the same they shouldn't care who sold it to you.

6. Jun 25, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    NMG

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Yeah, maybe I will contact Toyota Canada and confirm. With the Canadian dollar basically still sitting at par with the US dollar, it just makes no fiscal sense to spend THAT much more. I would have no problem keeping my money in Canada if the prices were competitive, but that difference is goofy.

I'll try and get some info from Toyota Canada and will report back. I have heard in the past that warranty can be an issue for cross border things like this. I think it was due to the fact that technically "Canada Ltd." and "US Ltd." are different companies just selling the same products and they only warranty stuff that was bought within their respective jurisdictions. I'll try and find out for sure though.

7. Jun 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Yea, please do. I would be interested to hear the awnser to this just for shits and giggles.

8. Jun 25, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Look up the URD supercharger too. I have a 1st gen but I was reading a forum on the 2nd gen URD's and looked them up.

MSRP of the TRD supercharger in the US is $4500 for 304 hp

The URD supercharger for 05-08 Tacoma is $5895 for 340 hp

9. Jun 25, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    A dealer will never warranty the part unless it was bought from them. They will warranty their labor but the parts have to be covered from the place of purchase.

Thats IF you can even get them to install it. A lot of times they wont install a part you dont buy from them. They want to make the money on both ends. I deal with Ford dealerships and misc repair shops in Canada and US all the time for work

10. Jun 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Holy crap, I thought I was the only one with that kind of price. My quote was like $7860 and from everyone one on here that was around $5000 it was a rip so I never got one installed.

11. Jun 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    moblarkus

moblarkus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand Pearl TRD Off-Road
    Satoshi grille, All-pro bumper, Allpro UCA's, Walker Evans coilovers, 10" Lightforce Blitz, PIAA 510's,Magnaflow cat-back, K&N CAI, Revtec rear blocks. TSB leafs, Firestone Ride-Rite air springs, Hopkins Agility brake controller.
    I have an '06 and I'm in BC too. I want to do the same, but I'm out of warranty and 116,000 km's. Interested in seeing what you dig up.

12. Jun 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    This comment is WRONG. As long as the TRD supercharger is bought new from an authorized distributer, with a warranty card and is installed by a toyota dealership it will be covered under the 3 year warranty. I bought mine through an authorized dealer installed by my dealership (to seperate shops) and I have the full warranty.

13. Jun 25, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Wow that is sweet. We do all Ford at my work. Toyota backs their stuff way better than Ford. I guess Ford just sucks. Oh yeah I already knew that

14. Jun 26, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Some dealerships will be pricks and tell you that they wont install it unless its bought from them but thats just a pressure tactic to get you to buy from them. There is no rule or policy about that.

15. Jun 27, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    NMG

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Well I contacted Toyota Canada and they suggested that I speak to the service manager at my local Toyota dealer as they would best be equipped to handle my question regarding warranty. Really? That just seems a little weird to me. At the end of the day, I don't think it matters what the dealer says, Toyota Canada would be the one paying for the warranty work to be done if there was an issue so would they not be the ones to make the call on whether it was covered or not?

Even if I found a dealer that would install the parts purchased elsewhere, what guarantee do I have that Toyota Canada would okay it? I'd feel much more comfortable with a definitive yes or no in writing from Toyota Canada before dropping thousands of dollars on something like that.

16. Jun 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Shop around, I remember reading once the dealership in calgary would install for 7200$ out the door.

Products Discussed in

To Top