Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Installed Doug Thorley headers and a flowmaster exhaust. now runs like shit

Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Installed Doug Thorley headers and a flowmaster exhaust. now runs like shit

so i installed doug thorley headers last night, and i had a exhaust leak but didnt have time to fix it, drove to work and dropped it off at a muffler shop, about 1/4 mile before i got to the muffler shop my check engine light came on. but they fixed my exhaust leak and put on a flow master exhaust. i got my truck back and it started to run like shit, idled rough, was noticebly slower.

so i went to o reileys to see what the check engine light was for, he said it was a 02 sensor reading rich.

he told me i can try to unplug the negative terminal of the battery and let it sit for 15 minutes or so and put it back on and it might fix it might not.

he also said if i drive it for a couple days the system could remap its self and run okay.

do you guys have any ideas/thoughts about this? thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Does the DT header for your truck delete the cat?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Does the DT header for your truck delete the cat?
no it doesnt
Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
O2 sensor could have been damaged while swapping it over to the new pipe.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
maybe.. i dont see how we would have damaged the sensor cause we didnt drop it or anything
Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
also eric id check back with that shop and ask if they even checked everything after the install cause it was fine last night and now it doesnt? i would think they should be making it right you know?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
maybe.. i dont see how we would have damaged the sensor cause we didnt drop it or anything

yeah i know its pissing me off. im going to put the negative back on the battery and drive it in a couple hours and see if that fixes it....

is there anything else i can do to see if the code will not pop up again?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
also eric id check back with that shop and ask if they even checked everything after the install cause it was fine last night and now it doesnt? i would think they should be making it right you know?

well the ceck engine light came on as i was pulling INTO the shop so it couldnt have been anything they did right?

they didnt touch the o2 sensors or anything
Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #9

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
well call the shop. dont they close at 6?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #10

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
well the ceck engine light came on as i was pulling INTO the shop so it couldnt have been anything they did right?

they didnt touch the o2 sensors or anything
ohh. i didnt see that part. i dunno. i got extra o2 sensors if you wanna tr those maybe?
Old 06-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
ohh. i didnt see that part. i dunno. i got extra o2 sensors if you wanna tr those maybe?

oh fuck yeah you do!!!!

let me see if this fixes my problem then i will let you know man!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #12

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
the cel on my 02 is on cause of some catalyst bs that i dont care about fixing and i think there was another code but im not sure. im positive the sensors on there are ok so i can pull one off my 03 for you which i know for a fact is ok. just gotta make sure the connections are the same and all that bs
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Banned
you know the electrical tape job we did? yeah didnt work for shit.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #14

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
yeah didnt think so.. i still told you to replace that asap
Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
pizza is on a distinguished road

Army: 15T Blackhawk crew chief 25th ID
Name: Ryan
pizza's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
O2 sensor could have been damaged while swapping it over to the new pipe.
Kinda what I'm thinking.. Do stock ECU's "re-program" themselves or does the MAF and o2 sensors just do what they do? By that I mean, read whats coming in and going out and automatically adjust air/fuel?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
yeah didnt think so.. i still told you to replace that asap
well i figured out that hose is my dam problem. its a dealer part, calling them in the AM
Old 06-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #17
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
4cy, bigger tires, no back pressure, i know oliver lost a lot of bottom end power before he re-geared
Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza View Post
Kinda what I'm thinking.. Do stock ECU's "re-program" themselves or does the MAF and o2 sensors just do what they do? By that I mean, read whats coming in and going out and automatically adjust air/fuel?

Idk... but its cause my intake hose has a hole in it so its acting like it has a really bad vaccum leak
Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
Idk... but its cause my intake hose has a hole in it so its acting like it has a really bad vaccum leak
ohhh gotvha
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
4cy, bigger tires, no back pressure, i know oliver lost a lot of bottom end power before he re-geared
i got a exhaust now
so it has way more back pressure than it did

wrapped duct tape around the tube to get me home and ran great!