Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Unichips Play n Play Kit

Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #21
bcroach78 is on a distinguished road
Army: EOD
bcroach78's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for keeping us posted. I cannot wait to get home so I can start putting my mods on my truck. I have been trying to find a piggyback that would benefit me the most but would also not cost me over a grand. Keep the posts coming, you may be my deciding factor on the unichip or waiting for gadget to make a plug and play for 2009+.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #23
05tacoma33 has a spectacular aura about05tacoma33 has a spectacular aura about

05tacoma33's Tacoma Gallery
Who makes that pillar pod? Any updates on the unichip with the Trd supercharger?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tacoma33 View Post
Who makes that pillar pod? Any updates on the unichip with the Trd supercharger?

Lotek Inc. makes the gauge pod. I havent installed it yet was wanting to wait and have it dyno'd with and without the unichips. But after looking over my truck real good after having the headers and y-pipe installed im not too happy with that shops quailty of work. So I dont think im going to have it dyno'd there now. And its the only shop close. So I believe I may just throw the unichips on it and use the good ole butt dyno for precise measurements of hp & torque gains.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #25
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Looks good. I still wouldn't run the pillar pod with my curtain air bags though.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #26
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Talking Update!

I know its been awhile been busy with work and other things. But I have an appointment tomorrow at 9am to put my truck on the dyno. I'm going to dyno it without the Unichips and after I install the it. Im going to try and do a couple of pulls before and after the unichips. I only have an hour dyno time so we shall see......will post pics and dyno sheets asap.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #27
platinumb is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
platinumb's Tacoma Gallery
Can't wait to see how I. Works I have the Trd charger and 2.85 pulley now I bought the 7th injector and 2.7 pulley but have been waiting to find a good tuning solution so I can use them.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #28
Supercharged Mileage Master
MikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enoughMikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enough
MikeyLikesIt's Tacoma Gallery
So how did it go? What parameters were you able to change and monitor? Very interested in a piggyback since there seems to be nothing for 2008+.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #29

HERE IT IS!!!

Alright guys & gals here it is. Alittle background to start out with. I have had this kit for awhile but I wanted to put it to the test and see if the $600 I payed for it was actually going to do anything.

MOD's: AFE CAI,TRD S/C w/reflash,JBA shorties,URD Y-Pipe & Fuel Pump, Magnaflow Catback.

Pull #1 (1st dyno graph) - This is without the unichips. We did a second pull and made almost identical numbers. Notice how rich the air/fuel is. To be expected coming from Toyota wanting it to be safe.

Pull #3 (2nd dyno graph) - This is with the Unichip installed and running on MAP A which is there "low" setting. MAP B has more agressive timing. On this pull the air/fuel went dangerously lean. Hitting around 13 all the way to redline!! It was running so lean that they did not want to make another full pull. We did one more run on MAP A just running it up to around 4000 rpms still running way too lean. So we flipped the switch to MAP B (to see if maybe it would richen up) and did a light pull again to 4000rpms while keeping a close eye on the air/fuel it too was the same Dangerously too lean. (It did make more hp but lost tq as well)

(3rd dyno graph) - Is a overlay of the full pull without unichips and with the unichips on MAP A.

I contacted Unichips about this and they blamed it on the dyno saying that they are very inaccurate for newer vehicles. And a run on the dyno is not the same as driving it on the street. They were suppose to have one of there "technicans" contact me but never heard back. Also, they said they've never tested a urd fuel pump kit but still sent me a "tune" that was suppose to include it. They didnt inform me of this when I bought it.

(If you click on the dyno runs and go to my photos and click again it will enlarge so you can see it better)
Old 11-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #33
Supercharged Mileage Master
MikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enoughMikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enough
MikeyLikesIt's Tacoma Gallery
I can't quite make out the numbers. The graphs look good. The frickin torque curve looks great. Can you confim the before and after numbers? Thanks for posting.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #34

Without unichips 281hp and 318ft/lbs. With unichips 299hp and 307ft/lbs.
If u click on the photo it should take u to my photo album then just click on thr photo again and it should enlarge enough to see.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #35
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
ahhh damn... I'll just go with the pipe bomb when I can. Good looking setup you got there.
Unless things have changed with the pipe bomb, they are know to rust pretty badly. The URD Y-Pipe is made from 304 stainless steel. It isn't going to rust. The older pipe bombs obviously were made out of at best 409. Cheap steel.

If it only takes a washer or so for clearance, the better choice is clearly the URD Y.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #36
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
I know that Unichip always comes with a pre-loaded map, to get you buy, but have you now thought about tuning it to get the AFRs and timing where they need to be? I am positive that you could pick up more hp and tq with that thing tuned for your specific vehicle.

Odd the comment they said about the fuel pump. Since that is simply there to prevent high rpm lean out. Just keeps the fuel flowing, since the stock one can't.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #37
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanut21 View Post
Without unichips 281hp and 318ft/lbs. With unichips 299hp and 307ft/lbs.
If u click on the photo it should take u to my photo album then just click on thr photo again and it should enlarge enough to see.
Ummm... DID you SEE the overlay??? Its crap! With unichip tuned you LOOSE gobs of torque and horsepower BELOW 4700 rpm! All gains are made above 4700rpm! No way its worth it for the few hp & tq above 4700rpm!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #38
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
I know that Unichip always comes with a pre-loaded map, to get you buy, but have you now thought about tuning it to get the AFRs and timing where they need to be? I am positive that you could pick up more hp and tq with that thing tuned for your specific vehicle.

Odd the comment they said about the fuel pump. Since that is simply there to prevent high rpm lean out. Just keeps the fuel flowing, since the stock one can't.
The catch with the Unichip unit is that unless you buy the tuning software only Unichip certified retailers can tune it.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
Ummm... DID you SEE the overlay??? Its crap! With unichip tuned you LOOSE gobs of torque and horsepower BELOW 4700 rpm! All gains are made above 4700rpm! No way its worth it for the few hp & tq above 4700rpm!

Yes I SEEN THE OVERLAY.........If you look at it closer you will see that when it did start to make more power the air/fuel was also starting to richen up from where it was running dangerously lean. So it has potential to make more power through the entire rpm band it just needs to bring the air/fuel ratio down to an acceptable level.