1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unichips Play n Play Kit

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by novanut21, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    Can't wait to see how I. Works I have the Trd charger and 2.85 pulley now I bought the 7th injector and 2.7 pulley but have been waiting to find a good tuning solution so I can use them.

2. Nov 23, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    So how did it go? What parameters were you able to change and monitor? Very interested in a piggyback since there seems to be nothing for 2008+.

3. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    Alright guys & gals here it is. Alittle background to start out with. I have had this kit for awhile but I wanted to put it to the test and see if the $600 I payed for it was actually going to do anything.

MOD's: AFE CAI,TRD S/C w/reflash,JBA shorties,URD Y-Pipe & Fuel Pump, Magnaflow Catback.

Pull #1 (1st dyno graph) - This is without the unichips. We did a second pull and made almost identical numbers. Notice how rich the air/fuel is. To be expected coming from Toyota wanting it to be safe.

Pull #3 (2nd dyno graph) - This is with the Unichip installed and running on MAP A which is there "low" setting. MAP B has more agressive timing. On this pull the air/fuel went dangerously lean. Hitting around 13 all the way to redline!! :eek: It was running so lean that they did not want to make another full pull. We did one more run on MAP A just running it up to around 4000 rpms still running way too lean. So we flipped the switch to MAP B (to see if maybe it would richen up) and did a light pull again to 4000rpms while keeping a close eye on the air/fuel it too was the same Dangerously too lean. (It did make more hp but lost tq as well)

(3rd dyno graph) - Is a overlay of the full pull without unichips and with the unichips on MAP A.

I contacted Unichips about this and they blamed it on the dyno saying that they are very inaccurate for newer vehicles. And a run on the dyno is not the same as driving it on the street. They were suppose to have one of there "technicans" contact me but never heard back. Also, they said they've never tested a urd fuel pump kit but still sent me a "tune" that was suppose to include it. They didnt inform me of this when I bought it. :mad:

(If you click on the dyno runs and go to my photos and click again it will enlarge so you can see it better)

4. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    with out UNICHIPS

[​IMG]

5. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    WITH UNICHIPS ON MAP A

[​IMG]

6. Nov 24, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    OVERLAY OF THE RUN WITH UNICHIPS & WITH OUT

[​IMG]

7. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    I can't quite make out the numbers. The graphs look good. The frickin torque curve looks great. Can you confim the before and after numbers? Thanks for posting.

8. Nov 26, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Without unichips 281hp and 318ft/lbs. With unichips 299hp and 307ft/lbs.
    If u click on the photo it should take u to my photo album then just click on thr photo again and it should enlarge enough to see.

9. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Unless things have changed with the pipe bomb, they are know to rust pretty badly. The URD Y-Pipe is made from 304 stainless steel. It isn't going to rust. The older pipe bombs obviously were made out of at best 409. Cheap steel.

If it only takes a washer or so for clearance, the better choice is clearly the URD Y.

10. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I know that Unichip always comes with a pre-loaded map, to get you buy, but have you now thought about tuning it to get the AFRs and timing where they need to be? I am positive that you could pick up more hp and tq with that thing tuned for your specific vehicle.

Odd the comment they said about the fuel pump. Since that is simply there to prevent high rpm lean out. Just keeps the fuel flowing, since the stock one can't.

11. Nov 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Ummm... DID you SEE the overlay??? Its crap! With unichip tuned you LOOSE gobs of torque and horsepower BELOW 4700 rpm! All gains are made above 4700rpm! No way its worth it for the few hp & tq above 4700rpm!

12. Dec 1, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    That is what I was getting at, in a round about way. If there was an authorized dealer near him?

13. Dec 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

Yes I SEEN THE OVERLAY.........If you look at it closer you will see that when it did start to make more power the air/fuel was also starting to richen up from where it was running dangerously lean. So it has potential to make more power through the entire rpm band it just needs to bring the air/fuel ratio down to an acceptable level.

14. Dec 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Unfortunately there is no authorized dealer near me. :( My best option is there "internet tuning" option. I'd like to atleast try it.

15. Dec 1, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Dang. That sucks man.

16. Dec 1, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    How does it richen up to run lean?? LOL Yes the AFR is a tad high past 4k rpm than goes rich after 4400rpm.... I agree that with careful tuning you can gain few more whp up top, however I was talking about the area between 2100rpm and 4500rpm where even though the AFR is NOT perfect 13.1 and fluctuates from 12.4 low at 3000rpm to 13.3 at 4000rpm the losses in both horsepower AND torque are significant.

In daily driving you will only use 1500rpm to 4000rpm, unless you like revving the 1GR high.

However this is VERY common with N/A modifications on almost every engine, when you free up the exhaust and intake, you loose bottom end and gain up top, nothing surprising there.

17. Dec 1, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    This ^^^ is the reason I havent done headers yet. I am leaning towards the shorties for 2 reasons... 1) better low/mid where I need/want it (like i really need it with a supercharger), 2) I can keep a set of cats and 02 sensors and not throw a CEL. From there I can slap on the Y pipe and go. I am not adding any more until someone solves the 09+ tuner problem though. I know gadget is working on it but I just dont have confidence in Unichip systems.

18. Dec 1, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

If I can get the air/fuel to stay in the 11.0-11.5 range during the 2000-4000rpm range it could be possible to pick back up the lost power due to it running lean. And by using the Map B on the unichip for more agressive timing could result in a decent gain. They stated at the shop while on the dyno that the air/fuel as it was on the unichips was way too lean. And that a good safe tune should be around the 11.5 A/F @ WOT. I'm no tuning expert but im looking into having the unichips custom tuned to my truck im sure I can pick up power across the 1500-4000rpm range.

19. Dec 1, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

I have the JBA shorties and URD Y-pipe. I chose this for the same reasons as you. But also because of the horrible rasp that comes with long tubes and y-pipe because of no cats. The shorties and urd y-pipe and my magnaflow catback does get alittle raspy in the upper rpm range but nothing compared to the long tubes and no cats and it did make it quite a bit louder as well even in the cab.

20. Dec 1, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Do you have any dyno numbers on your set up? Your not S/Ced also are you?

Products Discussed in

To Top