Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Performance and Tuning

Notices

Unichips Play n Play Kit

Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #41
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
novanut21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
That is what I was getting at, in a round about way. If there was an authorized dealer near him?
Unfortunately there is no authorized dealer near me. My best option is there "internet tuning" option. I'd like to atleast try it.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #43
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanut21 View Post
Yes I SEEN THE OVERLAY.........If you look at it closer you will see that when it did start to make more power the air/fuel was also starting to richen up from where it was running dangerously lean. So it has potential to make more power through the entire rpm band it just needs to bring the air/fuel ratio down to an acceptable level.
How does it richen up to run lean?? LOL Yes the AFR is a tad high past 4k rpm than goes rich after 4400rpm.... I agree that with careful tuning you can gain few more whp up top, however I was talking about the area between 2100rpm and 4500rpm where even though the AFR is NOT perfect 13.1 and fluctuates from 12.4 low at 3000rpm to 13.3 at 4000rpm the losses in both horsepower AND torque are significant.

In daily driving you will only use 1500rpm to 4000rpm, unless you like revving the 1GR high.

However this is VERY common with N/A modifications on almost every engine, when you free up the exhaust and intake, you loose bottom end and gain up top, nothing surprising there.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #44
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
How does it richen up to run lean?? LOL Yes the AFR is a tad high past 4k rpm than goes rich after 4400rpm.... I agree that with careful tuning you can gain few more whp up top, however I was talking about the area between 2100rpm and 4500rpm where even though the AFR is NOT perfect 13.1 and fluctuates from 12.4 low at 3000rpm to 13.3 at 4000rpm the losses in both horsepower AND torque are significant.

In daily driving you will only use 1500rpm to 4000rpm, unless you like revving the 1GR high.

However this is VERY common with N/A modifications on almost every engine, when you free up the exhaust and intake, you loose bottom end and gain up top, nothing surprising there.
This ^^^ is the reason I havent done headers yet. I am leaning towards the shorties for 2 reasons... 1) better low/mid where I need/want it (like i really need it with a supercharger), 2) I can keep a set of cats and 02 sensors and not throw a CEL. From there I can slap on the Y pipe and go. I am not adding any more until someone solves the 09+ tuner problem though. I know gadget is working on it but I just dont have confidence in Unichip systems.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #45
novanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shednovanut21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

If I can get the air/fuel to stay in the 11.0-11.5 range during the 2000-4000rpm range it could be possible to pick back up the lost power due to it running lean. And by using the Map B on the unichip for more agressive timing could result in a decent gain. They stated at the shop while on the dyno that the air/fuel as it was on the unichips was way too lean. And that a good safe tune should be around the 11.5 A/F @ WOT. I'm no tuning expert but im looking into having the unichips custom tuned to my truck im sure I can pick up power across the 1500-4000rpm range.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #46

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
This ^^^ is the reason I havent done headers yet. I am leaning towards the shorties for 2 reasons... 1) better low/mid where I need/want it (like i really need it with a supercharger), 2) I can keep a set of cats and 02 sensors and not throw a CEL. From there I can slap on the Y pipe and go. I am not adding any more until someone solves the 09+ tuner problem though. I know gadget is working on it but I just dont have confidence in Unichip systems.

I have the JBA shorties and URD Y-pipe. I chose this for the same reasons as you. But also because of the horrible rasp that comes with long tubes and y-pipe because of no cats. The shorties and urd y-pipe and my magnaflow catback does get alittle raspy in the upper rpm range but nothing compared to the long tubes and no cats and it did make it quite a bit louder as well even in the cab.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #47
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Quote:
I have the JBA shorties and URD Y-pipe. I chose this for the same reasons as you. But also because of the horrible rasp that comes with long tubes and y-pipe because of no cats. The shorties and urd y-pipe and my magnaflow catback does get alittle raspy in the upper rpm range but nothing compared to the long tubes and no cats and it did make it quite a bit louder as well even in the cab.
Do you have any dyno numbers on your set up? Your not S/Ced also are you?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #48

Quote:

Look on page 2 I posted my dyno runs. And yes I'am running a TRD S/C.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #49
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If I can get the air/fuel to stay in the 11.0-11.5 range during the 2000-4000rpm range it could be possible to pick back up the lost power due to it running lean. And by using the Map B on the unichip for more agressive timing could result in a decent gain. They stated at the shop while on the dyno that the air/fuel as it was on the unichips was way too lean. And that a good safe tune should be around the 11.5 A/F @ WOT. I'm no tuning expert but im looking into having the unichips custom tuned to my truck im sure I can pick up power across the 1500-4000rpm range.
UGH... I forgot that you have S/C. 13.1 AFR is ideal for N/A application. 11.9-12.1 AFR is ideal for force fed applications...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #50
Quote:
Look on page 2 I posted my dyno runs. And yes I'am running a TRD S/C.
And that is my idiot moment of the week. LoL

I am interested in when you do finally get a good tune as your running pretty clsoe to the same set up as you. I am looking for a tuner as well, as much as I dont want to use the Unichip but if its the only option then....
Old 12-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Quote:
UGH... I forgot that you have S/C. 13.1 AFR is ideal for N/A application. 11.9-12.1 AFR is ideal for force fed applications...
Quote:
And that is my idiot moment of the week. LoL

I am interested in when you do finally get a good tune as your running pretty clsoe to the same set up as you. I am looking for a tuner as well, as much as I dont want to use the Unichip but if its the only option then....

Haha.........Yeah I'm just trying to figure out if the unichip will actually do something. Everyone gives it horrible reviews and no one likes it. And I will have to say that so far I'am not impressed with the tune they gave me to run. It was not a safe tune at all and will need to be re-tuned. I'm just trying to figure out a way to get it re-tuned I have no unichip dealers near me and my next best option it unichips "internet tuning". I'm going to have to do some more research and see what other options may be possible.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #52
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Haha.........Yeah I'm just trying to figure out if the unichip will actually do something. Everyone gives it horrible reviews and no one likes it. And I will have to say that so far I'am not impressed with the tune they gave me to run. It was not a safe tune at all and will need to be re-tuned. I'm just trying to figure out a way to get it re-tuned I have no unichip dealers near me and my next best option it unichips "internet tuning". I'm going to have to do some more research and see what other options may be possible.
Engine managements like unichip need to be tuned on the dyno, sending the unit in and having someone "guess" your tune doesn't work. Every vehicle is different, depending on mods, climate, etc...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Engine managements like unichip need to be tuned on the dyno, sending the unit in and having someone "guess" your tune doesn't work. Every vehicle is different, depending on mods, climate, etc...

This is correct which is why Unichips claims to have dyno'd there PnP Kits with various mods on different vehicles so they can give you a good base line to work off of. Even though it may still need to be adjusted due to like you said different elevation,climate etc.

THERE TUNER RENTAL KITS
This is an all in one kit for any tuner shop or customer that wants a custom tune. We have these in-stock and ready to order. They come with everything you need to custom tune any vehicle that has the Unichip. Its a cheaper alternative then to try to find a shop. Once you receive the kit all you need to do is contact our technical support team 24 hours 7 days a week and they will direct you through the process and help custom build your own tuning maps. Pricing is per week and you pay shipping. We will re-fund your account if you don't use the kit for the full week.This allows anyone to use our amazing software. Its easy to use and with the amount of support you receive you will wonder how you ever went without it. Allows full custom tuning.Once you have purchased the kit you will be sent a link to fill out the NDA forum. We will not send you the software until we receive the NDA.

Rental Fee is $170 per week
Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #54
Quote:
This is correct which is why Unichips claims to have dyno'd there PnP Kits with various mods on different vehicles so they can give you a good base line to work off of. Even though it may still need to be adjusted due to like you said different elevation,climate etc.

THERE TUNER RENTAL KITS
This is an all in one kit for any tuner shop or customer that wants a custom tune. We have these in-stock and ready to order. They come with everything you need to custom tune any vehicle that has the Unichip. Its a cheaper alternative then to try to find a shop. Once you receive the kit all you need to do is contact our technical support team 24 hours 7 days a week and they will direct you through the process and help custom build your own tuning maps. Pricing is per week and you pay shipping. We will re-fund your account if you don't use the kit for the full week.This allows anyone to use our amazing software. Its easy to use and with the amount of support you receive you will wonder how you ever went without it. Allows full custom tuning.Once you have purchased the kit you will be sent a link to fill out the NDA forum. We will not send you the software until we receive the NDA.

Rental Fee is $170 per week
Damn, 170 a week and a NDA. That seems a bit excessive to me but eh, whatever. I guess in your case since there is no tuner close to you them that might work.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #55

Quote:
Damn, 170 a week and a NDA. That seems a bit excessive to me but eh, whatever. I guess in your case since there is no tuner close to you them that might work.
Yeah I thought the same thing. They claim that if you don't use it for the whole week that they will reimburse you. But it doesnt state how much of the $170 you get back. Yeah the guys at the dyno shop said that if I can get the software to tune it that they would do it. So this is probably what I'm gonna have to do. Now I just gotta find the time to get it done.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #56
Quote:
Yeah I thought the same thing. They claim that if you don't use it for the whole week that they will reimburse you. But it doesnt state how much of the $170 you get back. Yeah the guys at the dyno shop said that if I can get the software to tune it that they would do it. So this is probably what I'm gonna have to do. Now I just gotta find the time to get it done.

Well get snappy and get on it damn it. LoL I need/want more power. With the Uni-chip can you easily switch between tunes and stuff? Like between a max gas milage, max towing, and max low end (off-roading) tune? That would be the only reason why I would think it would be worth while.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #57

Quote:
Well get snappy and get on it damn it. LoL I need/want more power. With the Uni-chip can you easily switch between tunes and stuff? Like between a max gas milage, max towing, and max low end (off-roading) tune? That would be the only reason why I would think it would be worth while.
The PnP kit has two maps on it that are selectable by a switch that you just simply switch from map A to map B. Now I'm not for certain but I believe that you can have up to 4 maps on the PNP KIT.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #58
Tepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shedTepidy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: NY STATE POLICE-Investigator (RET)
Name: Ted
Tepidy's Tacoma Gallery
Had one in my 5.7 tundra. Only thing I noticed was the shifting (auto) was more prominent. After a year it really screwed my truck up. Engine would shut off while driving for no reason. CEL's would go on and eventually truck would not shift out of second gear. My experience with it is: $700.00 piece of shit which by the way is made in south africa. Customer service sucks as well. Oh and by the way there was no difference on the dyno (mustang dyno) before or after.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #59

Got a call from Unichips tech support yesterday. They are sending me a download cable that plugs into the unichips and my laptop so that they can view and modify the maps that the pnp kit is currently running. Being that im running a wide band O2 I can plug then PnP Kit back into my truck and atleast check the A/F Ratio. Best part is its not going to cost me a dime. If it all looks good I may try and do another dyno session.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #60
Awesome news. Keep us posted. If they would provide better support and service I bet they would have a much greater following in the Taco group.