1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Unichips Play n Play Kit

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by novanut21, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Jun 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    Is anyone running the unichip plug n play kit on the 09+ 4.0 V6w/ TRD supercharger and re-flash?

2. Jun 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    Looking for some feedback on it. I thought about ordering one.

3. Jun 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    arent they trash?

4. Jun 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
  5. Jun 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Well couldnt get ahold of gadget at URD I tried for 3days to ask about there MAF sensor calibrator. So I called up Unichips and ordered there plug and play kit w/ the TRD supercharger and re-flash.

6. Jul 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    bcroach78

bcroach78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crew cab TRD L/B S/C
    you will have a better chance getting a hold of gadget on xr-underground. Like the guy above me said, let us know how the unichip works. Any chance of you getting dyno runs before and after the install? I know its a pain and will cost some cash but it would help the rest of TW out in the long run.

7. Jul 1, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    ERIC

ERIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Impulse Red TRD PreRunner SOLD
    Pioneer double din navi head unit and four 5x7 alpine speakers, westin light bar, procomp lights, head and tail lights, black billet grille, billet antienna, gibson headers and cat back exhaust, afe cold air, uni chip programmer, Bilstein 5100's, Pro comp wheels and tires, tint, blacked out emblems, innu roof rack, yakima basket, foglight mod...
    I hope it works better with a S/C and on the 4.0L then mine. I didnt notice much a difference except for a smoother acceleration and better throttle response.

8. Jul 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

I'll have to look into xr-underground. I still have some question for him. I have thought about doing the dyno runs. I have found a shop in PA. I asked them about doing some runs. And they wanted to know what I had. So I told him and his response was uhh why would you want to make a toyota fast :rolleyes: of course these guys are pretty biased they cater to mainly chevys and fords. But it comes down to having time to get it done. Works great until it cuts into you fun time!

9. Aug 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    UPDATE!

[​IMG]

I got my unichips in but I had to get these installed first. I just got it back from the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I need to get my Wide Band O2 & Boost Gauge installed. Before I put in the Unichips so I can get a base line for how its running now rich or lean and then after I install the Unichips.

10. Aug 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Did the JBA headers come with the cross over pipe or was that done custom. Second question, If the headers did come with the cross over pipe, does it hang below the cross member? I have skids it would need to clear.

11. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

No the headers are welded to the front cats. The crossover pipe you speak of is part of the URD Y-pipe. The cross over pipe is almost even with the bottom of the cross member. I would say clearance would be very tight with a skid.

12. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

Thanks man! Yeah I have looked into the smaller 2.85" pulley that looks like a stock 3.00" Just havent pulled the trigger on it yet

13. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    ahhh damn... I'll just go with the pipe bomb when I can. Good looking setup you got there.

14. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

Haha, It would be nice but having to send off and have the snout supercharger milled down makes me a little nervous. Plus your gonna need more fuel upgrades and a re-flash of the unichips.

15. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Yeah I agree pipe bomb would definately be the better choice. Thanks man.

16. Aug 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    bcroach78

bcroach78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crew cab TRD L/B S/C
    Thanks for keeping us posted. I cannot wait to get home so I can start putting my mods on my truck. I have been trying to find a piggyback that would benefit me the most but would also not cost me over a grand. Keep the posts coming, you may be my deciding factor on the unichip or waiting for gadget to make a plug and play for 2009+.

17. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    Installed my gauges and yes I know I have side curtain airbags. :lalala:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    05tacoma33

05tacoma33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner Longbed
    Who makes that pillar pod? Any updates on the unichip with the Trd supercharger?

19. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT

Lotek Inc. makes the gauge pod. I havent installed it yet was wanting to wait and have it dyno'd with and without the unichips. But after looking over my truck real good after having the headers and y-pipe installed im not too happy with that shops quailty of work. So I dont think im going to have it dyno'd there now. And its the only shop close. So I believe I may just throw the unichips on it and use the good ole butt dyno for precise measurements of hp & torque gains. :rolleyes:

20. Nov 18, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    novanut21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    I know its been awhile been busy with work and other things. But I have an appointment tomorrow at 9am to put my truck on the dyno. I'm going to dyno it without the Unichips and after I install the it. Im going to try and do a couple of pulls before and after the unichips. I only have an hour dyno time so we shall see......will post pics and dyno sheets asap.

Products Discussed in

To Top